Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Big C

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated September 15, 2014

Post by Big C »

Vaecrius wrote: [*]All map-placeable corpses can now be raised.
You mean they weren't before? I distinctly remember being caught off guard by a revived Marine on E2M2 once, and realizing a healer imp must have brought it to life offscreen.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Big C wrote:
Vaecrius wrote: [*]All map-placeable corpses can now be raised.
You mean they weren't before? I distinctly remember being caught off guard by a revived Marine on E2M2 once, and realizing a healer imp must have brought it to life offscreen.
The dead marines worked right, but the zombie man, shotgun guy, imp and demon corpses we're still un-raisable vanilla decorations.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Lava Grunt wrote:Does anyone else have weird looking shells on the HUD? Like the image of the four shells, the space in the middle is smaller than the spaces to the left and right of it, like it didn't scale quite right.
Yeah, I see it too - in fact on my screen there is no space between the middle shells.

It's just SHELA0 (or rather HD's flipped, palette-swapped TEXTURES version) so I'm going to chalk it up to HUD scaling issues.
Derek Larp

Post by Derek Larp »

One thing I have noticed is that if you walk down a stairway (or any ledge) and step on a corpse lying just below the last step you'll get "stuck" (as in moving very slow) on the corpse, unless you stand completely still for a moment.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Can't replicate, though this may be because if I don't stop for a moment I end up stepping over and past the corpse entirely.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Happens to me too, even if I'm ascending something as little as a single unit raise in height.

How would I remove blood decals while leaving bullet marks and other things like that? You did a great job with them but I feel they're a bit too detailed, so I'd like to tweak it a bit.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I haven't touched the blood decals at all, besides slightly darkening the default colour in gameinfo.

Ascending?
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Really? Huh, I swear they feel a good deal different, but that just may be from the fact that HD plays so different it stretches over to other things making similar things feel different. Particularly the streamy beady blood decals. Most have been added in a GZ update awhile back.

Ascending as in moving onto a small 2 pixel high plate on the ground with a body on it. Probably the case for walking up corpse littered stairs too.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

"Streamy" blood decals (if I recall what you're talking about) are actually nothing new, they've been around forever even in ZDoom.

8-)
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Can't remember or be arsed to try it out, so, do trees and such count as valid cover?
If so, DESTRUCTIBLE COVER. A tree trunk spawned in hell can only take so much punishment, no?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Not destructible, sadly. I can't be arsed to make new sprites for that, and it's not like they're filled with nitro so I can blow them up and conceal the destruction under smoke and flames and pretend it's there. (And that would probably diminish their value as cover anyway.)

And now, having just read Canto XIII of the Inferno, I may change the behaviour of the trees slightly.

EDIT:
A tree trunk spawned in hell can only take so much punishment, no?
And now I have an in-game reason why you can't destroy the trees. :V
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I just saw a friendly archvile and an animated fire barrel "fight" for 15 seconds before the barrel randomly exploded.

10/10
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated September 22, 2014

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE! hd.zip is under 500kB again!

Changes:
  • Forgot to mention from last update: the actor "ShellChamber" is no longer used. If you have any mods that rely on that item please change them.
  • Trees now scream periodically, and catch fire sometimes when you hit them.
  • Redid the rifle sight switching. Now if you are using the GL, you will always have the ladder sight, while you will not automatically switch out of your rifle scope when you deselect. Let's see if this plays better.
  • Deleted some sounds that weren't being used.
  • Couldn't get around that bug where you'd land on a corpse and you'd be in ledge-creeping mode for a second. So instead I brought back the tripping corpses, but mitigated the awfulness somewhat. Now when you use the Use key to kick a corpse, you kick it 3 times as far hard as a live enemy. Side effect: this also applies if your kick is a killing blow. I am not fixing this.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Good update, aside from the constant screaming. The idea is good, but about 2 minutes into a level and it makes you feel that you're playing without having slept in days, and you're insanity has spread over into the game. I like how they catch on fire and scream, but do you think you can remove the unprovoked, periodic screaming please? One level I played had a ton of plant life surrounding a building, and it sounded like an absolute mad house.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hmm, yes, I do suppose people do use these trees as normal trees don't they... would be nice to have a way to make them active only on a hell-themed map.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”