Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
phantombeta
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Hideous Destructor

Post by phantombeta »

Beezle wrote:Thanks for this update Matt! I first downloaded this a few versions back and I was wondering, how the hell is a mod that changes SO much only weigh in at less than a MB? There's over 500 pages in this thread so if you've already answered this, my apologies.
It's mostly code, and code doesn't take up that much space - specially when it's compressed, as text compresses extremely well.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

It's also only in the last couple years that I've had Internet that wasn't capped at a ridiculously low upload speed - for most of HD's development I had to make sure it was under a meg or a proper, timely, uncorrupted upload would be a fairly dicey bet.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I was going to procrastinate more on this NEW UPDATE!, but I gave that up for Lent.

Highlights of changes:
  • Fixed VM crash when ACS kills a player.
  • Dying/incapacitated mode where all you can do is try to not die (through means that don't involve advanced medikit use or shooting back). hd_playdead command can fake this.
  • hd_yolo server bool where no one can die properly until everyone is incapacitated. Ignores fraglimit lives mode.
  • HUD can now adapt to new custom weapon and ammo types.
  • Mag manager fast mag switch is now bound to Zoom rather than Firemode.
  • Revenant missiles more dangerous.
  • Loadout parser no longer crashes on bad input.
Matt

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE!

Note the change to the medikit interface! Controls are:
  • Replace Fire with Altfire for all the following to apply to someone else.
  • Fire to staple and patch.
  • Firemode+Fire to diagnose.
  • Zoom+Firemode+Fire to apply Second Flesh.
For help with any weapon, hold Use.
DaveCooper

Post by DaveCooper »

"New zombies with different SSG/SMG sprites, also by Turbo" - cool new enemies, sadly they turn invisible when they attack. :(
Matt

Post by Matt »

Unfortunately that mod (or at least my link to it, has it been updated?) predates my change of E/F to X/Y for the firing frames.

I *might* change it back to using E/F in the future because this change only addresses a single extremely specific problem while breaking a buttload of other stuff.
Almonds

Post by Almonds »

I keep getting random crashes on and off... I assume something in the map doesn't like getting killed/resurrected lol. I'm forced to keep a finger on the quicksave button every other kill, to avoid having to trudge through large portions of a map again because the game is really unstable. playing with the latest stable versions of both HD and ugly as sin. I thought it had to do with the version of gzdoom I had downloaded, so I went and nabbed 3.7.2 and the problem persists. super annoying. it's happened several times in unholy realms, on maps 8, 12, and map16, and now ashes 2063 (maps only version).

EDIT
scratch all of that. seems UAS is what's breaking the game on my run of ashes...still, it happens with just the mod by itself every now and then.
Matt

Post by Matt »

That is completely useless without the following information:

- Are we talking about crashes to the GZDoom console or to desktop?

- If console, what are the error messages? (post all of them)

- What were you doing just before?
Almonds

Post by Almonds »

all straight to desktop. no error message prompts, no nothing. just the game freezing for a full second before closing.
ashes 2063, map04 (UAS, sling+starvation+scarcity on) - if I open fire at anything in this area, I take the game out. if I choose to ignore these guys and instead move on, they'll start fighting and eventually the game will also shut down.
https://my.mixtape.moe/mznvmt.webm
https://my.mixtape.moe/wesocu.webm

as I said, I play with UAS, but I've had a fair number of crashes with vanilla HD as well. most common scenarios I can think of where the game closes would be a)whenever a friendly healer imp resurrects a dead monster, or b)an imp is resurrected/turned ally by "the power coming out of me" (when this happens, all I hear is an imp/zombieman's pain sound for a split second, then CTD). I've only recently stumbled upon this particular scenario, where the game chooses to make certain monsters literally untouchable.

sorry, this is all I have to go off of... as I've said these are all random occurrences in HD and aren't replicated in any other mod.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Sorry, no idea what might possibly cause that. :/ Never myself seen nor had anyone complain about anything remotely resembling this on the latest HD release or any subsequent Git commit.

Maybe see if this new release somehow fixed this then?
Almonds

Post by Almonds »

it's fine, I appreciate you taking the time to look into the issue I was having ^^. I just ended noclipping through that area, skipped the fight altogether. I still got CTD'd when the message I talked about earlier popped up twice though.

and yeah all I've left is hoping future updates fare better stability wise on my end. I don't mind that much, still having fun playing.

PS: RIP mixtape.moe. first time ever using it, and in less than a week it's gone. fun times.
wizardful

Post by wizardful »

I love the hd_yolo feature, but there is one big flaw with it. You can't die in the downed state and enemies will still attack you. The problem is that not that you can't die but damage will stack infinitely, which happened to my friend during a game. After I finished with a big fight, I scanned my downed buddy and he had over 2000% burns and 800% open wounds. This was before the recent change that increased the potency of second flesh, but I don't think I'd be able to heal all that damage even with that new update. I had to switch hd_yolo off and back on so he could die and respawn. It continued to happen, multiple times, (my friend is a weakling, don't mock him please) and I ended up disabling it completely. I really want to play with hd_yolo in coop, but getting downed with just even one imp around ruins the feature completely. The only way I can think of to prevent this issue would be capping damage percent to 100, which I tried to do, but I don't know zscript at all and I'm sure you have a much better idea of how your mod structure is organized than I would.

The only other thing I wanted to mention is how much the sights bob while walking. The amount it bobs while jogging is perfectly fine, but I think walking should reduce the bob by a lot more than it currently does. A trained soldier would be able to walk and keep his gun steady at least somewhat proficiently. I don't think it should be perfectly steady of course, but even a 50% reduction would be great. At least while moving without turning... I had the idea to plug in my controller and try walking with that, since keyboard control isn't analog, right? That didn't help at all, even with the controller sensitivity set as low as it goes, it still bobs just as much as using a keyboard.

Anyways, thanks for all your hard work. Don't know how much it means to you but Hideous Destructor is my #1 favorite mod, I've been playing on and off every year since 2013. So far I've loved every single change and new feature. I've recommended it to a bunch of friends and they all love it too. :D

edit: oh yeah loading a save in coop crashes the next time someone dies, don't know if it's a gzdoom 3.7.2 thing or not though.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Thanks!

I'll look into the walking bob again.

I have no idea about the savegame crash. :/

I'm still trying to think of an elegant solution to unlimited injury in YOLO mode. Making the enemies stop targeting the downed player seems out of character, especially given that the player would eventually be able to get back up and become a threat again. Maybe a system for arbitrarily healing the player once they're safe? Or maybe just capping wounds/burns/agg while in YOLO mode...
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

In my view, YOLO is a acceptable semi-gamey abstraction of recoverable combat incapacitation, to replace the extremely-gamey death > respawn mechanic. As such it should be serious but recoverable in gameplay terms.

Personally I think some variable caps would be the best solution. 100-200% wounds is pretty horrific in terms of what it takes to patch up (half a medikit on the low end!), and extremely impairs the player, but is not impossible to overcome with a well-stocked medikit. Burns should likewise be capped (to 100%?) but I think accrue much slower than normal, since those are much harder to heal and take far more rare resources. I think aggro damage should definitely be capped at where it was when the player went down simply because it can't be healed at all and is a hidden number anyway.

All that being said, reminder to players that you should stick together! A downed player shouldn't be alone with the thing that killed him long enough to accrue that kind of damage!

8-)
Matt

Post by Matt »

I went with capping each of the different long-term damage trackers at 30 in YOLO mode.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”