Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
TDRR
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: H.E.R.P.s & D.E.R.P.s

Post by TDRR »

Somagu wrote:
TDRR wrote:What was the last 2014 or 2015 build? Kinda want to try it out in Zandro and i may modify that if it doesn't run.
Here's the last easily accessible version of HD that will run in Zandronum without modification. Dated near the end of 2014, it's unplayable (but functional, strictly speaking) online, I suspect because Zandronum's netcode can't, for whatever reason, handle all of the constant ACS calls for movement and turn inertia. It does run in singleplay with no problem.

Here is a version of HD that will run online with other players with no issue and is completely playable in Zandronum. Dated mid 2012.

Good luck and god speed.
Nice, thank you!
wildweasel
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Hideous Destructor

Post by wildweasel »

Matt wrote:I'm adding that second link to the OP.

Re: name: again, it's not any actual legal concern here, it's more the principle of wanting to be totally independent of things connected to the recording industry. But given the overwhelming support for keeping the current name I'm going to take no further action on this besides changing the OP title back to "Hideous Destructor".
Nothing exists in a vacuum. Even the name Doom is inspired by something (a movie quote). It took a life of its own, in a fashion not unlike how your mod took two words of lyric and turned them into something I'd dare to call iconic.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

TDRR wrote: Nice, thank you!
As a proof of concept, I tried stripping out everything that changes Pitch and Angle from the ACS just now, and in fact it becomes playable online. Recoil is probably fine, but the fact that turncap and inertia are checked every tic is probably what is making Zandronum crumple and die. Could be a good place to start.
bendix-hyde

Post by bendix-hyde »

Just tried out the newest update, that revolver is pretty neat!
Though I want to say that it seems a little underpowered. It may just be me not being very consistent in getting upper torso shots (I can reliably put down zombiemen with two shots there), but it's like it shoots standard pressure/velocity .38 special instead of +P or .357 magnum. It kind of makes it difficult to justify using it over the usual 9mm for anything other than a nice challenge.

Or to play a very panicked version of Russian Roulette against an imp or zombie. Working the hammer in a hurry makes for some interesting encounters.

I'm gonna play around with it some more to get a better feel for it, but I thought I would share some thoughts.
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

The .355 round does somewhat more damage (though not massively so). I think it also causes higher bleeding chance, so when you one-tap a zombie it's more likely to expire within a few seconds or so.

The problem is that there's not much difference in the obvious damage breakpoints. Say a monster has 100HP. If you have one bullet that does 55 damage and another bullet that does 75 damage, the monster still takes two bullets to die, so it appears that the weapons are identical until you get to monsters where the cumulative damage makes a difference.

Gonna shamelessly plug Ugly as Sin here, as I've included a "wounding" module that makes monsters slower, less accurate, and randomly scream in pain the lower on health they are. It helps add a bit of subtle damage feedback and gameplay balancing.

8-)
bendix-hyde

Post by bendix-hyde »

Ha, that makes sense. I noticed that I was occasionally killing zombiemen and shotgunners with one shot running around e1m1 with the wheelgun and an imp maybe bleeding out quicker after landing a couple snapshots on Grotesque. Again, probably because of shot placement, but the possibility of a faster bleedout is nice.

Thanks for the info Caligari!
As for Ugly as Sin, I should keep to occasionally looking at your github to find the most recent version after a new HD update drops? I noticed that the version I used for 4.1.0 stopped working after I upgraded to 4.1.2
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Correct, I try to keep the latest master in sync with HD's latest master, because that's how I play and I'll generally notice errors within a day or so. I'm bad at releasing stable builds, but you can match those by version name if you're planning on sticking to a certain HD version.

8-)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

SergeantDiggs wrote:RIP H.E.R.P.s & D.E.R.P.s 5/30/2019 - 5/30/2019
The Mayfly of Doom mod names. ;)
will183
Operating System Version (Optional): Win-10
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by will183 »

Was the One man army setting removed?
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Yes. Encumbrance is now defined by a multiplier, with 1.0 being "normal", and 0.25 (aka you can carry 4x as much stuff) being closer to One Man Army. Grimdark and Spooky difficulties force 1.0 encumbrance.

8-)
TDRR
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian 12/ Manjaro
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by TDRR »

Somagu wrote:
TDRR wrote: Nice, thank you!
As a proof of concept, I tried stripping out everything that changes Pitch and Angle from the ACS just now, and in fact it becomes playable online. Recoil is probably fine, but the fact that turncap and inertia are checked every tic is probably what is making Zandronum crumple and die. Could be a good place to start.
Going to experiment with it ocassionally, maybe i can get something working out of it.
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Caligari87 wrote:Ugly as Sin
Hunger
Stop me if you've heard this one, but...
Finding Some Food™ feels pretty good and all but I sense there's room for more shenanigans. Let's get this out onto a tray.
Spoiler:
Everyone knows who MRE Steve is these days, right? So, MRE variety. Just flavor text and silly comments.
"Nice hiss!"
"Better find a rock or something..."

Goof it up. Something to take the edge off after you've stapled yourself together for the fifth time and you just need some levity in your life. Get one of those MREs out, open it up and there you go. A list of stuff you're about to munch down on plus a little something extra. Something tasty? Something old but still "edible?" EUUUGH!
Could be an extra addon called... BLOAT? :wink:
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Used to have "flavor text" (hue hue hue) but the code wasn't really nice. Planning to re-add it to the hunger module later.

8-)
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

Nice! Uh, I mean... tasty! UHHH. Delicious! UHHHHH.
I need some instant coffee.
Crudux Cruo

Post by Crudux Cruo »

It seems like every year i come back it's a totally different game. Seriously the best mod ever. Especially loving the "ammo manager" and leaning and the new scope system. I really hope this wins a cacoaward some day, it really deserves it.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”