Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated August 4, 2014]

Post by Matt »

Making the chainsaw rely on cell energy sounds like a plan!

Beyond that, though, has anyone ever really used the chainsaw in combat that much?

Given the importance of corpses in this new update I would really like to have a way to gib them. Anyone able to think of a potential way to do this that still leaves corpses raisable?
Slax
... in rememberance ...

Post by Slax »

"Use" melee is the go-to thing for me. Haven't used the chainsaw much at all. Mostly because it feels too vanilla. Plus the unwieldy nature of the thing.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I use the chainsaw a good deal in close quarters actually. It's role is pretty well defined I'd have to say, and it's fun to use (even if the fun comes at the cost of your health.) I just wish it had more of a stun power to it where monsters like the specter couldn't flee from it with such ease. Gibbing corpses still sounds like an idea that's waiting to be added, but I can't imagine how to do it besides making a corpse turn it it's smashed sprite or gibbed sprite after it sustains rapid enough damage for a certain amount of time. Unless corpse health can be a thing, I dunno.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Zhs2
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support
Location: Maryland, USA, but probably also in someone's mod somewhere

Post by Zhs2 »

You're welcome.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated August 11, 2014]

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE! Warning: hand grenade inertia is back!
HOTFIX: And so is SBARINFO! Be sure to download version 20140811a not 20140811!

Changes:
  • Bugfix and technical clarification: It seems that the problem with the grenade velocity inheritance was that it would inherit the thrower's velocity correctly, then before the A_Warp call there would still be collision checks where the grenade would potentially bounce if its forward momentum was enough. This meant that if you were throwing a grenade very hard forwards where there was a short wall right in front of you, it would bounce off that wall during the brief moment that it was 20 units off the floor. A temporary flag change during the inheritance sequence fixes this.
  • Bugfix: Chainsaw was not droppable.
  • "misc/pocket" probably makes more sense as the default corpse-stepping sound.
  • You can now gib zombie, imp and player corpses with the chainsaw, explosives and berserk fist primary fire. Many corpses now also change frames when they're in the air, creating a smoother effect when they're falling from a great height or if they're disturbed from their place of rest.
  • Chainsaw now uses cells. Also, since it can run out of ammo now, I've restored the beatdown.
  • Cloaked spectre corpses now take up to 15 seconds before they are revealed, and the revealment is smoother.
  • Changed custom falling damage to use drowning damage type, and set drowning pain state not to degrade custom armour. (Drowning obit also replaced so you don't get an inappropriate "can't swim" message.)
Last edited by Matt on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abba Zabba

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated August 11, 2014]

Post by Abba Zabba »

This update in particular seems very good. Though I wonder about water themed maps, particularly ones that involve you being submerged for extended periods of time, will lead to some funny results.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [last update dated August 18, 2014]

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE!

Changes:
  • Bugworkaround: Supersonic bullet/shot trails now make their sound 1 tic later, to allow 2 instances of the SSG shot sound to overlap - otherwise you can fire both barrels within 2-3 tics of each other but the second report would not start playing until the first one had completely finished.
  • Bugfix: Marines were firing from height 32 rather than 44.
  • Bugfix: ZM66 should have been doing a consistent 3-tic 3-round burst but it didn't quite pan out due to jump offset issues.
  • Restored some delay into the triggers of all weapons.
  • SSG now pushes the player back slightly, to give at least some impression of double recoil when you're shooting both barrels at once.
  • Reduced chainsaw idle battery usage.
  • Some tweaks to gun smoke effects.
  • Changed ZM66 cookoff system. It is now much easier to get with semiauto, and worse when you do.
  • Significantly reduced the end-berserk blackout.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Vaecrius wrote: [*]Restored some delay into the triggers of all weapons.
Shit. Well, I guess I can forget about ever playing HD multiplayer again.
Vaecrius wrote:Changed ZM66 cookoff system. It is now much easier to get with semiauto, and worse when you do.
I'm a little unsure about this... if your gun can cook off from semi-automatic fire, I think it needs a serious redesign!
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Have to agree with Somagu here, the higher threshold for cookoff for semi-auto was pretty much all it had going for it...
Matt

Post by Matt »

At 1-3 tics these are still well below the vanilla pistol (4 tics), but if they're really making things useless then I will reduce them all by 1 tic. You can still get off a shot on ZM66 semi 1 tic faster than full/burst, but it's probably unnoticeable.
Somagu wrote:if your gun can cook off from semi-automatic fire, I think it needs a serious redesign!
a special non-terminating legislative patent and a 99-year automatically renewed confidential exclusive contract with the militaries of all developed Western nations worth mentioning
tends to lead to such things. :P

That said, I will change it if it's leading to frequent cookoffs in normal play - I've just found it easier with this new update to get a cookoff if I'm actually trying.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Ah, alright then. Understood about the delay. With a ping of about 200, you have to employ your most powerful predictive skills because the slippery turning and moving are more seriously affected by lag, so I feared you meant something a little more dramatic by it.

As for the contract, I'm aware of (and adore) all of the lore, but that kind of problem just doesn't seem like a "mass produced problem" as it were. I think more people would rather carry shotguns for ship/colonyside combat, rather than using a-what I would imagine to be infamous and well known-gun with such a glaring problem.
Jack Mackerel

Post by Jack Mackerel »

Somagu wrote:
Vaecrius wrote: [*]Restored some delay into the triggers of all weapons.
Shit. Well, I guess I can forget about ever playing HD multiplayer again.
Vaecrius wrote:Changed ZM66 cookoff system. It is now much easier to get with semiauto, and worse when you do.
I'm a little unsure about this... if your gun can cook off from semi-automatic fire, I think it needs a serious redesign!
Late to the party (and I seriously hope I ain't necroing), but, yeah, I know it's silly to expect video games to match their lore, but this is still kind of silly, especially when it's the future!

Also, the Scattergun jams way too much to be useful, now, especially for a pump-action.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Exaggeration is intended, though I should elaborate as far as future and progress are concerned... there are buildings many centuries old that function almost as well as they did when they were new, while things built in the 20th century are now routinely in dire straits. When you're the only person selling and you want people to buy as often as possible, things breaking and needing to be thrown away is a feature not a bug. Things considered intolerable abuses in one age are often routine annoyances in the next, as those who profit from the abuse rise to power and dictate what is normal.

(Also, I'll just add that the ZM66's problems are intended (inter alia) to be a mild satire on the way computer technology works right now.)

Is the jamming while in pump? If so, hold the altfire just a little bit longer to make sure you're not short-stroking it.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I love you Vae, but there really needs to be a function to directly move corpses. I'm at an entrance to a winding staircase tower with a cyber lurking around the doorway (a clockwise tower, so the cybie has the advantage) and right at the part that requires quick movement is a hell knight corpse, making me trudge along. I understand that sprinting turns off the corpse movement penalty, but could you implement a way to directly move corpses? Like fist secondary fire could grab onto a corpse and then you just move normally while it trails.

EDIT: Bug I guess? The invulnerability sphere doesn't have translucency or buoyant floating like the other spheres do.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”