Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
mumblemumble

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.1.0.5]

Post by mumblemumble »

hold crouch, sprint, and turn back and forth : it seems extremely effective in stopping it in seconds, but makes you extremely vulnerable.
ArchXeno

Post by ArchXeno »

Thanks, crouching seems to have done the trick
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The code for putting out flames that way is part of the code that causes you to step when you've turned on the spot too far, so that there is the minimum distance you must turn before changing direction before your movement actually does anything.

(I often prefer to just spin in one direction since I'm on a trackball and I can just flick the ball for a 360 - idiotproof way of making sure I've gone far enough but way more disorienting in combat)
twinkieman93

Post by twinkieman93 »

I bind and then mash the quickturn key, less risk of bashing stuff off of my desk with frantic mouse flailing that way.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

ArchXeno wrote:How do I put myself out of fire? I shake the camera around like a madman but I always end up dying.
You must also be crouching
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Vaecrius wrote:It's not often that an article on the internet completely changes my mind on an issue, but.
There was lots to choose from. The U.S. military reports and filed statements describe a hodge-podge of confusing and inconsistent positions, including the following range of scenarios:

(1) The assault team entered, encountered and returned enemy fire and killed the shooter. Omar Khadr, positioned behind a crumbling wall, then threw a grenade at a group of soldiers who were talking. He did not consider them a threat to his safety, but just planned to kill as many Americans as he could (U.S. government stipulation of facts, 2010, paragraphs 41-43, agreed to by Khadr in his guilty plea);

(2) The assault team entered, encountered enemy fire, including a thrown grenade. They shot and captured Khadr, who was the only survivor in the compound during the exchange. Being the only survivor, Khadr must have killed Speer (false public position of U.S. military until 2008, as per CBC report);

(3) The assault team entered, encountered enemy fire, including a thrown grenade. They killed the shooter who also threw the grenade. They then captured Khadr, who did not throw the grenade (Report by Maj. Randy Watt, senior U.S. officer at battle, July 28, 2002);

(4) The assault team entered, encountered enemy fire and a witness identified as OC-1 saw a grenade thrown over a wall. Because of the timing of the shooting and grenade, he did not believe one person could have done both. OC-1 killed the shooter. He then found Khadr seated and facing away from the assault team and shot him in the back. According to OC-1, Khadr was the only person who could have killed Speer (Statement by witness OC-1, dated March 17, 2004, almost two years after the event);

(5) The assault team entered, encountered enemy fire and saw a grenade thrown over a wall. They killed the shooter and two Delta Force members confronted Khadr, who was armed and stood facing them. They shot him in the chest (per summary of statements, originally reported by Michelle Shephard in the Toronto Star);

(6) The assault team entered, encountered enemy fire and saw a grenade thrown over a wall. Soldiers outside the compound were also throwing grenades in response to the firefight. U.S. forces first killed the shooter, then shot and captured Khadr (per Los Angeles Times report of statement evidence). This opens the possibility that friendly fire accidentally killed Speer.
Anyway, the point of my posting this is that when I first started reading this list (2) seemed obviously indefensible, since the building may well have been booby-trapped. Everyone please rest assured that rigging hand grenades with tripwires is on my to-do list, even if it may be a few months from now between the HUD and the weapon scriptification. ...
Tripwires are now implemented.

(Note that you can spam this to the point where the wires become invisible depending on your particle settings. In multiplayer please don't be that guy.)
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

NEAT.

Certainly much harder to use than I thought (that timer is a pain to predict) but its so cool to have I don't care.

Something to suggest though? make the grenade / gum shootable, to knock it loose and trip it off. I figure a well aimed 9mm round could knock off the gum and start the timer, and this would make them even more useful, and it wouldn't seem unrealistic that a bullet of any size would be able to rip gum off a wall if well aimed.

I notice it works if a door closes on a wire, but if I stick the gum to the door, it just stays there even when the door opens : is this at all something which can be fixed? A floating wad of gum isn't very realistic.

also for whatever reason, the frequency of the particles in the line seems infrequent. Sometimes its 1 particle every 5 unites, other times its every 1 unit, sometimes its a solid line. This also means sometimes the full line isn't visible. One recommendation to help with both atmosphere, and performance issues? Make particles randomly spawn and despawn along the line, simulating a fishing line "glistening" in sunlight : this would make them a little harder to detect, make them show up even with low particle rates and spam easier, and make it look kinda nice if you have a fade in / fade out for each particle. or, just have an option to adjust the "thickness" of the wire : 1 particle every 3 map units gets the job done and performs well in my opinion. Or is there anyway to make the particles invisible outside x range?

If a zombie (or imp?") ends up flinching during a "degib" state, where a shard turns a gibbed body into a whole body, the zombie ends up instantly resurrecting fully. I did this by trying to pick a gun off a zombie as it got hit by a shard, and ended up kicking his body as he was put back together, and then he shot me in the face.

The tripwires work good for thinning ambushes you can plan for : map 29 and map 27 of eviltech are very good examples, having nasty ambushes at the start that PREVIOUSLY were too much, but now are pretty easy due to these new traps! They are wonky to use, and certainly aren't as reliable as IEDs by a LONG shot, but having them as desperate option is nice. Though using enough grenades to survive means the lines end up going over the particle limit easily.

Grenade throwing is nice, interesting, and certainly moves the skill floor, and ceiling of using grenades up significantly. Guess I will no longer kill cacos from 20 yards out with an air burst hand grenade, but honestly this was a little OP to be so easy. I will certainly need to practice them, and getting a hail marry throw is no longer as easy, nor accurate, but this is probably for the best.

custom loadout has the following problems : "more frag grenades" does not actually work and "basic soldier kit" over-ride any other given armor in the hud : giving yourself basic kit and blue armor has you wear blue armor, but hud shows green, but when you take it off, its blue again. Basic soldier kit also cannot enable spawning with 2 auto pistols, as the first pistol is always a normal one, which is not over-written by giving 2 auto pistols.

grenades no longer spawn in neat piles for some reason, they spawn a single grenade on a rocket box spawn.

I think both punches, and grenade throw velocity should be trweaked so it requires LESS turning for both to reach the max, its nice, but makes it almost impossible to do it accurately full force with either

....HD has become so realistic I can simulate sticking gum on the underside of a table.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Grenade piles were glitched. Good catch.

Random particles was my original idea but it looked very odd when I tried it. I have no idea what's making the frequency so inconsistent though. EDIT: A lower effect actually looks decent for longer wires. Also solved the inconsistency.

"More frag grenades" is primarily intended to give you the weapon. It gives you 3 extra grenades and if it's top priority you spawn holding the grenades. What about it doesn't work? I can change this so that the number indicated will be the number of grenades given though.

Are you trying to give yourself 2 automatic pistols by selecting "Automatic Pistol" and entering 2, rather than 2 slots each with "Automatic Pistol" selected? The latter works fine but I never thought about supporting the former. I'll look into it. EDIT: done.

EDIT:

Re: gum on door and interrupted rez: I'm just gonna write both of these off as engine limitation, the first more than the second. I don't even know what kind of hack might allow either to work properly and fixing either of them would almost certainly result in other side effects.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

I see, using the change to "frag hand grenades" rather then "(more) hand grenades" fixed the grenades, but I still have the issue of the hud showing up green while I have blue armor equiped, and even with the 2 auto pistols in the stetup (1 auto pistol slot, with a number of 2 auto pistols), I always end up with 1 being semi. unless I remove the soldier kit, and end up with 1 auto pistol

however, 2 slots being "auto pistol" will give me 2 auto pistol regardless

if I remove the soldier kit and have blue armor, my hud armor also starts as blue as well as not green, but i suspect this is purely aesthetic, as I take of the armor and it turns blue even with the kit

I would recommend renaming "more" frag grenates to "equip" frag grenades, to make this less confusing, I thought "more" meant more in my pack, while frag grenades alone give me more grenades. Or just REMOVE "more" frags, as just "frag hand grenades" does the same job, but less finicky >_> Infact "more" frag grenades just seems buggy and irritating, where as "frag grenades" gives the exact amount stated in all situations. I can be naked, and add 1 frag grenade into the custom kit, and it gives me 1 frag grenade despite being naked.

The "engine limitations" I get, especially the gum on the door, but can't you give the zombie or other monsters 100% pain immunity during these frames??? Would make sense figuring they are probably in pain anyway, being put back together....

Still, I would love to see a door opening make a trip mine go off, incase you have any idea how to do this : Can you perhaps tie the gum to a "semi permanent" wall decal???? Wall decals move with walls, but I might be completely wrong about this being possible...

And you know potions and spheres still dont work with the new HP system right? They don't raise the regen rate, and a potion actually counteracts a stimulant.

Sprinting does not work with a hazmat suit : I would argue it should, while having a chance to rip when sprinting / jumping, but only a very, very small chance, like a zm66 jam chance, This way its not so much that you cannot, but SHOULD NOT.

I would argue trip mines should not agro enemies, if possible : seems strange an enemy would know it was a trip mine at all, much less WHO DID IT. so having an enemy turn around and shoot me when a grenade blows up with no indication as to where it came from seems odd.
Matt

Post by Matt »

The loadout stuff works for me now. No idea what the problem might be. Maybe try forcing everything to 0 of nothing and starting over?

Blue magic undoes bleeding and long-term damage that puts a cap on your health regen.

As for aggro, I'd think if anything it might be justifiable to put in an alert the moment the spoon drops and makes that tinkling sound.

Pain immunity: I suppose that could work, but I recall trying it before and ending up with random monsters that never go into pain state ever again because something else interrupted their raise sequence. It's something that I don't think I'll have a proper solution for before I properly scriptify the monsters.

The problem with the gum and door is that I'd need to get - and then constantly poll - information about whatever sector is behind the linedef it's being stuck to. I have no way to retrieve that information reliably right now.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

I see, well, the spheres seem WOEFULLY nerfed then, each sphere is not noticeably better than a potion, and having a sphere without any previous damage is a big nothing burger in terms of effects : the old sphere meant I could be fine from a shotgun blast in under 5 seconds, had better stamina, and other stuff, but now I honestly don't bother going for trapped spheres because they simply are not worth the risk.

Spheres need to have some stuff that makes them NOTICEABLY better, particularly the mega-sphere, because they are not even slightly an equivalent to the vanilla counterparts in the slightest in terms of game-play potential. Remember, the soul sphere at LEAST doubled your health, and the megasphere gave you double health and armor, which allowed you to withstand a direct hit rocket : not saying they have to be exactly this, but there should be something to make me seek them out over a potion, which I can carry with me for later. Maybe even just a 30 - 60 point raise in max hp, and a constant stim heal rate till it runs out.

And in terms of previous HD versions, the old megasphere gave pain immunity, almost doubled stamina, higher body strength, high regeneration, crit immunity AS WELL as what it has now, but currently the regen of the sphere is gone, so its not viable for recovering health (even the instant 20hp from pickup is broken) and I don't feel any sturdier when grabbing it compared to before, where as old versions, while I was destructible, I feel like I could survive a firefight MUCH longer. Even stamina, recoil handling and pain I'm not noticing , so it really is a shit powerup compared to what it should be.

Something needs to change to make me want to grab those trapped megaspheres, or kill off archviles, because a glorified potion pickup isn't working.

taking on / pulling off armor should take a bit more time, possibly with changes in balance in bleeding. I know I cannot put on / off a jacket that fast, let alone bulky armor. Perhaps it should have the same effect as stims, except looking up to simulate putting it on / pulling it off.

I would suggest changing the hud icon for an equipped stim / berserk to be the actual stim / berserk syringe, and not just the packaging, to reflect the staple gun as the health kit icon.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Vaecrius wrote:The problem with the gum and door is that I'd need to get - and then constantly poll - information about whatever sector is behind the linedef it's being stuck to. I have no way to retrieve that information reliably right now.
Not entirely sure if it does so "reliably" but it's a lot better than nothing at all. Enjoy your door traps!
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Its certainly an improvement! It works for the most part, either stuck to the ceilings or walls, and certainly makes trapping monster closet more viable, AND makes the timer less of a burden!!

The attached save (its using the latest branch, and uses "complete doom", if you have that, the one from wadsmoosh. It shows a circumstance where this doesn't work.)

Another issues is if you put the gum / grenade level with each other ON a door, and then open it, the game crashes when it all hits the top of the door frame. This only works if they are mostly level, having the gum higher by any significant amount makes it spring the grenade as soon as the door moves, while having the grenade higher lets it all go up along with the door until the grenade hits the door frame, in which the grenade springs and it DOESN'T crash. Kinda inconsistent, but fun none the less.

I did notice however, that these do not stick to scrolling floors : which could make for inventive traps, but besides that, great!

------

For whatever reason I can kick a zombiemans corpse from the bottom of the lift in the area before the exit in map01. How I'm able to kick that high I'll never know

Ability to climb the first box on the range is broken. What happened to climbing 64 units?

Shooting a trip lined grenade spams the console with errors if the grenade is grounded
save6.zds
(101.28 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Almost all guns spawn errors about "powerlightamp" being unknown actor when in "ready" position.

2nd save is a reliable recreation of the error for shooting the grenade.

After placing tripwire, you are stuck on a useless "nothing" of a weapon. Should either switch back to grenades, or maybe fists

A thought for Stim OD's : what if the OD for just 2 was a COMBINATION of a double dose, and a high heart rate? similar to coming down off berserk, but maybe a slight bit more forgiving? The heal rate for overlapping doses is nice, but impossible to hit easily, and it feels like it would be fair to enable to double dose if it was treated with extreme caution. Perhaps you could have jitters as well, and have the player heal faster, but be vulnerable to a "heart attack" if exerting too much. I do think that these doses could be doubled without being fatal under certain circumstances, even if it would be kind of messy.
Attachments
save7.zds
(80.43 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Matt

Post by Matt »

First box on range is same height as the big shelf. You have to be barehanded and not pressing forward.FIXED

I'll look into the crash. (also fixed)
Matt

Post by Matt »

> After placing tripwire, you are stuck on a useless "nothing" of a weapon.
Cannot reproduce. Did discover that I had unlimited tripwire grenades though, which has been fixed.

> Almost all guns spawn errors about "powerlightamp" being unknown actor when in "ready" position.
Cannot reproduce and should be impossible in principle. PowerLightAmp is a core Doom actor.

I'll try the latest GZDoom git commit. EDIT: Still can't reproduce.

> Shooting a trip lined grenade spams the console with errors if the grenade is grounded
Can't view saves. What map is this?
EDIT: This problem seems to arise when using Doom 1. No idea why. Can reproduce with latest dev or 3.1.0, both at the range.
EDIT: Fixed. Lost track of which "pos" was which again when calculating positions and velocities. No idea why this only results in that catastrophic error in D1 though...

> For whatever reason I can kick a zombiemans corpse from the bottom of the lift in the area before the exit in map01.
Can reproduce. I suspect I will regret commenting out the cause.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”