Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
-Ghost-

Re: Hideous Destructor

Post by -Ghost- »

is there any way to cap how many weapons you're picking up? I appreciate the flexibility, but it's really easy to accidentally grab a ton of rifles when you're just trying to scrounge the bullets around them.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Tartlman wrote:honestly, my opinion on the master is for the love of god just axe the mag cap and release the bullet rewrite already. There's already a ton of changes that will take a long time to get used to...
I might well be basically in a position to release a stable once the revised pocket system's bugs have been ironed out, but releasing now would mean there's a "stable" release targeting the latest GZD stable that crashes to desktop every other time you start, so I'm taking my time pending GZD 4.2.3.

-Ghost- wrote:is there any way to cap how many weapons you're picking up? I appreciate the flexibility, but it's really easy to accidentally grab a ton of rifles when you're just trying to scrounge the bullets around them.
I'll think about it.

EDIT: As long as no one's asking for "swap out the worse gun for the better" this can be fairly straightforward: check in the grabthinker of the limit condition is true, then abort.

Just what the condition should be is the problem. Pressing Firemode?
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

really easy to accidentally grab a ton of rifles
Do you play with NeverSwitchOnPickup enabled? If so I can set up some behaviour specific to it.

(I was half wondering why unknowingly picking up guns would even be a problem until I remembered this setting existed EDIT: My point was that with autoswitch it's painfully obvious when you've picked up a new gun, and you can immediately turn and toss it aside with minimal interruption. Then again, if you're sprinting while picking things up...)

EDIT: In particular, here's my thought:
- with NSOP off, it's just the current behaviour.
- NSOP on, you don't pick up second guns of the same type unless your fists or that gun is selected. In the latter case you always switch to a just-picked-up second gun.

EDIT: Or the alternative: Same as above, but you only pick up second guns if the first gun of that type is not selected, and you do not autoswitch.
Last edited by Matt on Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
4page

Post by 4page »

(I was half wondering why unknowingly picking up guns would even be a problem until I remembered this setting existed)
I think the problem is that you end up with a whole bunch of the same gun adding a ton of unnecessary weight without realizing it. That happened to me when I first started playing when I finally realized that I was carrying a dozen assault rifles and they were slowing me down a ton.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

I feel like while the new icon of sin is cool, but has some problems:

A. Holy fucking shit, the new icon spawns way too many enemies. And it doesn't help that the arenas typically have very little cover.
B. The icon feels a little quiet compared to the way it used to be. I think it would be great if the icon talked a bit more, it's something that really sets HD's icon apart.
C. Won't the wave system kind of break maps that use icons to constantly spawn enemies without letting you kill it? (say, illuminati revealed in ancient aliens)
Matt

Post by Matt »

without letting you kill it
I would say that the map is a broken map, but HD isn't what's breaking it.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

Matt wrote:
without letting you kill it
I would say that the map is a broken map, but HD isn't what's breaking it.
I meant maps that don't let you fight the icon in the traditional manner, and end with you telefragging the BossBrain or something.

Won't the BossEyes notice the present BossBrain and only spawn enemies in waves? Or does the wave functionality only start working after the BossBrain has awoken?

I haven't tested this yet, and won't be able to for a couple of hours.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Matt wrote:
really easy to accidentally grab a ton of rifles
Do you play with NeverSwitchOnPickup enabled? If so I can set up some behaviour specific to it.

(I was half wondering why unknowingly picking up guns would even be a problem until I remembered this setting existed EDIT: My point was that with autoswitch it's painfully obvious when you've picked up a new gun, and you can immediately turn and toss it aside with minimal interruption. Then again, if you're sprinting while picking things up...)

EDIT: In particular, here's my thought:
- with NSOP off, it's just the current behaviour.
- NSOP on, you don't pick up second guns of the same type unless your fists or that gun is selected. In the latter case you always switch to a just-picked-up second gun.

EDIT: Or the alternative: Same as above, but you only pick up second guns if the first gun of that type is not selected, and you do not autoswitch.
Ah, that'd make sense, yeah. I haven't played with auto switch on since the last time I picked up a rocket launcher and immediately killed myself. :P
Matt

Post by Matt »

If there's no BossEye on the level, HD's BossBrain just sits there and immediately dies if damaged in any way whatosever. It also immediately dies if it takes exactly 1M damage (which is what happens when something is telefragged).

So right now, instead of my earlier suggestion, I think the best solution would be to require a NSOP player to be holding a button before they can pick up a second weapon. No idea what button that ought to be though, hence the previous suggestion of only allowing second pickup if the first weapon is selected.

Unless someone tells me otherwise I think I'll go with that latter option.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

If just putting auto switch back on could fix it too, I can do that instead if it's easier than making a whole other setting. Some of it just has to do with the way stuff spawns on each other, too. If a rifle, it's grenades, ammo, etc spawned a little more scattered then you wouldn't pick up the extra guns too.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I just realized there's a bug and there's no pickup message at all for your second X weapon onwards. -_-
And here I was writing up something to provide more feedback...

Anyway, at this point all I'm going to do is add a distinct, separately coloured message warning to a NSOP player that they now have multiple weapons of the same kind. Am considering whether to make this apply to everyone.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

That makes sense. You can check it in the extended inventory screen, but I do end up with like 8 rifles or something crazy every once in awhile.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

Matt wrote:If there's no BossEye on the level, HD's BossBrain just sits there and immediately dies if damaged in any way whatosever. It also immediately dies if it takes exactly 1M damage (which is what happens when something is telefragged).

So right now, instead of my earlier suggestion, I think the best solution would be to require a NSOP player to be holding a button before they can pick up a second weapon. No idea what button that ought to be though, hence the previous suggestion of only allowing second pickup if the first weapon is selected.

Unless someone tells me otherwise I think I'll go with that latter option.
What i meant is levels that have a "full" icon setup (brain, eye, and spots), but the brain is placed somewhere else from the eye where you can't shoot it. So the eye would be there, but the brain would just be chillin somewhere else and not allowing damage to be dealt to proceed to the next wave.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Matt wrote:I would say that the map is a broken map, but HD isn't what's breaking it.
HaveYouSeenThisMan

Post by HaveYouSeenThisMan »

Hey Matt I have a suggestion,
there's a mod out there that makes offline bots run on GZDoom (even offline death matches):
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=64527
I wonder if you knew about this and could you make it compatable for the mod?
It'll be better than the current allies who just wander around aimlessly (eg. Office Assault for example)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”