Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Jarewill

Re: Hideous Destructor

Post by Jarewill »

What Caligari said above.
I usually tend to play on grotesque on most maps, though if I know the map well and I want some more challenge, I go on hideous.
Now for the options, I play with encumbrance multiplier 1.0, since it feels more natural that way.
Doesn't make much sense that one can carry a rocket launcher, chaingun and a bfg and still move without a problem :P

Edit: Is it supposed to say "nullweapon"?
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

-Ghost- wrote:Out of curiosity, what's the intended difficulty level for HD? I usually play on the third one, but wasn't sure which one is how it's meant to be experienced. What do you guys play on?
Play on whatever's right for you! Set limitations for yourself - for example, whether skipping areas by jumping/vaulting is allowed, whether busting is allowed, how often you save (constantly or at keys? or even not at all?), etc. If a map is way too tough, you can even feel free to use things like 10.5x or AI director to reduce the monster count - just do whatever's fun for you.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

I was wondering about it for a while, so what's the point of the classic liberator?
I mean, comparing it to the bullpup, it's heavier, longer and can't be put into the backpack.
Plus the bullpup seems to have this weird casing ejection system, where it will flood out of the gun after moving the gun down a bit, so it will just keep stacking while firing.
(I still use the classic one though :P)
And what's the chance to drop the bfg if firing without the harness?

Edit: Also the new medikit works weirdly.
Even if there's 0% burns, the player can still treat them and repeat doing that, so the player can just spam it to get rid of auto-sutures. :P
It appears to be a pretty rare occurrence though.
And if it's out of auto-sutures, it still makes the inject sound. Is it supposed to do that or is it still working even after running out?
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

Jarewill wrote:I was wondering about it for a while, so what's the point of the classic liberator?
I mean, comparing it to the bullpup, it's heavier, longer and can't be put into the backpack.
Plus the bullpup seems to have this weird casing ejection system, where it will flood out of the gun after moving the gun down a bit, so it will just keep stacking while firing.
(I still use the classic one though :P)
And what's the chance to drop the bfg if firing without the harness?

Edit: Also the new medikit works weirdly.
Even if there's 0% burns, the player can still treat them and repeat doing that, so the player can just spam it to get rid of auto-sutures. :P
It appears to be a pretty rare occurrence though.
And if it's out of auto-sutures, it still makes the inject sound. Is it supposed to do that or is it still working even after running out?
The classic liberator has higher bullet velocities, so it's slightly better in terms of range and velocity but the most important thing is that it looks cooler.

As for the casing ejection, basically the way it works is that each time you fire the casings go in to a "tube" thing, and can then either get pushed out by having more casings, being pointed down, or being dropped.

As for dropping the bfg, I think that you're guaranteed to drop it if it isn't braced against a surface. I'm not sure though, and it's generally a good idea to drop the bfg after firing anyway - it's just extra, useless bulk until the lengthy recharge is over.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Tartlman wrote:The classic liberator has higher bullet velocities, so it's slightly better in terms of range and velocity but the most important thing is that it looks cooler.

As for the casing ejection, basically the way it works is that each time you fire the casings go in to a "tube" thing, and can then either get pushed out by having more casings, being pointed down, or being dropped.

As for dropping the bfg, I think that you're guaranteed to drop it if it isn't braced against a surface. I'm not sure though, and it's generally a good idea to drop the bfg after firing anyway - it's just extra, useless bulk until the lengthy recharge is over.
True, the classic liberator looks amazing, main reason I'm using it over the bullpup one. :P
But the bfg isn't a guaranteed drop even if not braced, it seems to be random.
I'd assume it has something to do with the player's health status. The worse it is, the more likely that the bfg will drop on firing.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Hideous + Casual = the old Homely
Fixed.

I'll look at both the medikit and ladder bugs tonight.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

I've thought about the derps a bit and I realised that they could be used to make for some pretty nice secret rooms.
Video below showcases the idea:
Spoiler:
Now, derps can fit in 8px wide, 8px tall holes, which could be used to make tunnels that only the derp can access.
The player can deploy a derp and manually move it through the tunnel to another room, where the derp can shoot a switch to open a door or lower a wall with a secret stash.
Just decided to share it for people that want to make a map and want some ideas.
I am making a map right now aswell, but I doubt it will really get anywhere with my amount of skill and talent. :P

On another note, how can one load hd into gzdoom builder to access some of it's specific actors?
Trying to load it as a resource results in the following:
Spoiler:
Not really all that important at the moment, since I'm making it with standard doom 2, but a way to make sure certain enemies and items spawn without randomization would be neat.
And again, considering a certain 4.1.3c map crashed with the newest master, it's not that important until the next release. :P
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I'm guessing GZDoom doesn't handle 7z, or at least if they're labeled "pk7".

If you re-archive the whole thing as a zip/pk3 or link to an uncompressed folder it should work.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Doing it that way resulted in that error not appearing, but instead a hundred more appearing in it's place.
And still no access to the actors. :P
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

Jarewill wrote:Doing it that way resulted in that error not appearing, but instead a hundred more appearing in it's place.
And still no access to the actors. :P
sadly, as far as i know the only method of doing it is to open doomednums.txt in the zip an directly entering the numbers.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Tartlman wrote:sadly, as far as i know the only method of doing it is to open doomednums.txt in the zip an directly entering the numbers.
That's kind of disappointing, but hey, it's better than leaving it up to randomization and getting a random HERP where you wanted a chaingunner. :P
Thanks.

Edit: I was looking through Icon of Sin code and noticed something on line 178:

Code: Select all

TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(user_lastmessage==7,"msg7")
Looking at the other messages, shouldn't it jump to state "msg8" instead?
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

I know the icon was just redone and it's probably already a known issue, but I'll just throw it here either way.

I'm fairly certain it should end after "The gospel of violence."
Matt

Post by Matt »

Haven't been able to replicate it reliably enough to isolate it so thanks for the screenshot - those two messages aren't next to each other so I know where it's coming from now.

By the way, that DECORATE code is no longer in use - I just haven't had the bother to see if anything depends on anything in that file before deleting it yet.
Tartlman

Post by Tartlman »

honestly, my opinion on the master is for the love of god just axe the mag cap and release the bullet rewrite already. There's already a ton of changes that will take a long time to get used to...
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

The bullet/armor/damage system still seems to be very much in flux, so if Matt released a stable now then there's a good chance you'd have to "get used to" an entirely new paradigm on the next stable anyway. I personally would rather it get finalized first.

8-)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”