Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Bigger C

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.2.5.3]

Post by Bigger C »

Matt wrote:I'll let all this stew in the back burner (pun intended) while I try to do this with the *ERPs.
Sounds incredibly complicated but I approve.

Now I want to make a wave-survival map for GZDoom that makes the player need to consider defense-in-depth.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Fallingferret wrote:versions after you reimplemented hd_strip re-equip have had a duplication bug of sorts if you strip while carrying a spare set of armor in you pants. dunno if you get notified of issues posted on git
What does "bug of sorts" mean? What specifically happens?

EDIT: Ah, right, git. Can't replicate.
mumblemumble

Post by mumblemumble »

Caligari got my idea correct, that fire alone isn't harmful immediately most of time with armor , but can heat up armor, with multiple blows melting armor or skin doing damage while a single would not. It could also have the heat glance off, using the crit system, and glancing hits would disperse significantly less heat than a direct hit, and splash less fuel on the target. So a full blast of 5 to the chest will always set you on fire, while a glancing ball will just singe your armor a bit, and will never achieve flash point (unless your armor is already hit from other blows). So getting soaked in fuel would obviously kill you (mancubus shots would be very lethal as its basically flying blobs of gasoline) while high temperature, low fuel shots would not. Since me and vae agree on the imp fireball reason, id guess it would be mostly fuel free, which means it would always do some damage, but wouldn't last long enough to heat materials to flash point without extra power. Whereas mancubus gasoline Bombs have a lower temperature over all, but lots of fuel to cook the target, ensuring continuous heating.

Basically, I'd compare the imp to a welding arc, and the mancubus to a stove top..

I honestly wouldn't like to see ground fires become a hazard, probably doesn't help i watched videos on molotov cocktails.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Backpacks are currently bugged and, potentially only in co-op/fake co-op games (-host 1 suffices), at the start of each new level when you have a backpack, whether you found it or started with it as a custom loadout, will give you 1 of everything. I am consistently reproducing this particular bug in my sessions.

This can be reproduced by starting a game with -host 1 as a custom class that starts with a backpack, dying, and respawning. Your backpack will be refilled with stuff.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Don't even need -host 1, dying on the range works too. At least I know why I've been moving so sluggishly lately. Will take a look.

EDIT: This is bizarre. I remember adding code that re-initializes all the weapons so you never respawn without a loaded gun, but I can't find it anymore o_O

EDIT: "Well since I'm here searching for this stuff I might as well patch up this little inconsistency that might be considered a bug by some people later but is totally unrelated to what I'm looking for"

Fixed. -_-
Fort of Hard Knox

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

You can place blue armor in the backpack. It gets converted into soft armor and comes back out green.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Can't seem to get the visual texture editor in Slade to work properly with HD's texture file, now that it's in a different format. I don't know what changes or file position markers are there/missing, but Slade isn't picking up any definitions and it's pretty awful. Other mods don't seem to have this issue, of the other two I tested. Nevermind, github's nested zip folder was the culprit.

The extra HUD info function with the use command is nice, but now it pops up instantaneously? It's a bit jarring/immersion breaking when it flickers onto the screen every time you open a door/hit a switch/pick up a multitude of things off the ground.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Still takes a few tics of holding use for me.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I'll check again, but I definitely remember it popping up pretty much as soon as I pressed the use key. No, it is popping up as the same tic or nearly the same tic that a use command is registered. Nothing else is bound to my use key, even though that shouldn't matter. Definitely did not use the old code of HD past, waiting for 1-2 seconds while holding use to make it appear.

The new HUD (well, for me, being frozen in Doom time for a little over a year) looks quite nice, in particular the memory aspect of the HUD with simplified, player colored graphics. It suits HD quite well. One question though, would be if you could add the armor indicator and the weapon status memory indicator to the automap HUD, so that it shows everything, as lacking these two things is a bit odd for the nearly completely detailed automap HUD. I'd also suggest taking either the normal or fullscreen HUD and spreading the HUD elements a bit further away from the center of the screen, as it feels a bit congested having both HUDs do this. But that's just my take on it.

Other than that, this is playing quite well! The little downward view shift when you jump/mantle, the heartbeat sounds and heartrate functionality, and the ridiculous full auto pistol (well, I guess it would be more of a machine pistol, but w/e). I've only seen a few of these new (to me) changes, I can't imagine what else you've done. Great work!

Edit: One last thing...is it just on my end, or are the HD crosshairs around 3-4 times bigger than they were in the past? I mean they got comically huge. And there seems to be no way to scale them in game as they are separate from GZ's crosshair system.
panzersoldat

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.1.0.5]

Post by panzersoldat »

Matt wrote:Snappy is an attachment to the OP on the thread so that is still downloadable.

Surprisingly, the Mediafire link for SB is not dead :shock:

SD supposedly got merged into HD sometime last year but I have done nothing to maintain it since. The resources are all there but run at your own risk. If anyone really wants it though I still have an old standalone version on my drive I can upload.
The original links for the Synthetic Deities thread is dead and nobody else hosts the sd20140525.zip file anymore. Could you re-upload it please? I'd like to see the standalone version. The merged version doesn't work all that well in comparison, or at least from what I've been able to gather from old footage of the standalone version on YouTube.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Panzersoldat: Here it is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=10CGyf ... 6qe7kcwxgh

AZ: Yes, they're bigger now to match the relative sizes of the dot sight and the scope on the new HUD sprites. I like them this size - I can finally still put the dot over the target and recognize the shape they make inside the circle!

I still don't know what you're talking about wrt the hud thing. It's 10 tics like it was for a long time.
Anyway, I've made that customizable through the hd_hudusedelay cvar, try setting it to like 25 or something and let me know if that works.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

Would the scaling of HD crosshairs be through TEXTURES or in SBARINFO?

As far as the use HUD functionality goes, the simplest way to describe it is just that it is instant for me. The delay of past HD was pretty nice, just the right amount of time holding use. Weird how it isn't affecting you.

How do you feel on the HUD element suggestions? (not use HUD) I'll likely make my own positioning changes, but it seems that the automap HUD could do with the weapon status indicator and the armor indicator, since the automap is a sort of 'all details' screen.
Matt

Post by Matt »

No it is not. Automap is not for combat. Definitely no weapon status on the automap.

I have no intention of making the crosshair customizable and am half tempted to just insist that everyone use exactly 1280x720... EDIT: Just discovered DI_SCREEN_CENTER can be used for SetClipRect. Feeling 900% less cranky right now.
Last edited by Matt on Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

You're pretty adamant on this crosshair scaling thing, when really, it seems like it would fit in under all the other gameplay options you currently have. It's somewhat arbitrary to have your personal sweet scaling spot (as in, huge) be the only size available (in-game, anyway)

The automap is indeed not for combat, which is why I don't try to shoot demons while in it. However, most mods give the automap a custom HUD with most if not all of your current status. It seems pretty silly to exclude those two indicators just because they're more for 'in the moment' assessment (and even then, that mostly applies to the weapon status rather than the armor), just for that sake.
Matt

Post by Matt »

The armour was a compromise. There was a reason why I did not add it to begin with, and I may remove it.

Scaling anything in the HUD is vastly more difficult and painstaking than the other options. It's far more trouble than it's worth.

To elaborate: Either I set up a buttload of spaghetti to rearrange all the various pieces to fit together with each scale, or require dozens of calculations every tic just to maintain this, or rely on more global sizing options that turn out to be totally impossible to use to achieve certain things (such as making the entire crosshair just a little smaller than it currently is rather than vastly smaller).

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”