Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Gorec

Re: Hideous Destructor [now on GitHub!]

Post by Gorec »

oh so this is intentional well dont change this is fun :D
also how to load ammo in the derp?i tried to simply drop it but seems there is another way
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The only way to load it is to pick it up and redeploy it.

In the future I might decide to make the robots and meds be "weapons" that you have to switch to to use, which means you can do reloads, etc. from there, but that is definitely not something that I expect to do in the short term.
Gorec

Post by Gorec »

well i couldnt pick my own derp since it got rocket in the face its just stucks(i dont think thats a word)into me and then it follows me with text about no ammo
Fort of Hard Knox

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

Hey Gorec,
The DERP robot uses your pistol ammunition. If you haven't yet, you should give the tutorials on the front page a quick watch.

EDIT: Everything I'm doing is seeming to crash hideous after a short amount of time. Trying many ways of playing around with the GItHub export and new GZDoom SVNs. Which version of the SVN should I be using?
EDIT2: There must be something catastrophic happening when I try and download a zip of the HD Git.
EDIT 3: Unless it's not, in which case the stamina system is completely bonk. I can run at full speed for ages and don't take any damage from falling
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Falling damage is one of the things I need to reimplement still. (Thanks for the reminder x_x)

DERP has to be picked up like a weapon, and it's a bit finicky to hit it when it's moving.

Re: crashes, I have no idea. Should work with latest build. What are you doing just before it crashes?
EDIT: Possibly related to this?
Fort of Hard Knox

Usually the random crap crashes out when I start messing with imps, yeah

Also I try to slide into my derps with a running crouch when I absolutely have to pick them up fast.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Odd indeed... I never have a problem until I quit, at which point either it soft-freezes and I need to kill the program to terminate it entirely or it just spits out some random-looking memory allocation error.

Anyway, on the bright side I did figure out why the fatigue system was never making the mage imps any slower... turns out I was missing a character in the "disable flag" call and was thereby doing the exact opposite. Fixed, for those of you who can still run without crashing.

EDIT: boy I tell ya something's been going funny since the 2.4 release, hopefully some of these crashes get addressed soon
Almonds

Post by Almonds »

hi there!

so uh, I went and grabbed 2.5.0 off of the link in the OP, and downloaded the latest (I think? still don't get how github works for certain) version of hideous destructor. I booted up Doom 2 for a quick test and, mind you, I'm not sure if it's on GZD's end or if it's somehow related to the mod itself, but there's *quite* the lot of weird stuff going on here.

first thing off is I keep hearing this constant thumping sound? like doomguy repeatedly ramming into a wall. there's no apparent way to heal myself or stop bleeding (or even any foreseeable way to die from bleeding at all) or running out of stamina, as the red threshold in the meter at the bottom of the screen simply refuses to decrease. also the movement feels really off. like it's literally just the standard gradual doom movement with the ocassional screen jitter, and I find myself able to aim and shoot at stuff with pretty much no downsides. my crosshair comes on and off at random intervals, among other minor stuff.

EDIT: downloaded 2.3.2. mouselook is screwed, still can't heal myself, stop bleeding, or die from bleeding.

I'm staying away from this mod until everything is sorted out, I don't want to fuck myself over even further. I can barely tell what I'm downloading.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

The latest GZDoom build seems to fix the 'crash-on-quit' issue, but it borked the 'stretch status bar' function.
Last edited by Turbo on Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Uh, yeah, everything is in major "under construction" mode because I grossly, grossly underestimated the amount of work involved to replace all the ACS loops as well as the amount of IRL stuff I'd have going on now, meaning I really, really should have made all this scriptification stuff a branch to be merged later.

So right now the following simply never happen:
- bleeding to death
- proper transition from sprinting to fatigue
- crosshair, randomly
- other shit that I don't know about

No idea what the thumping would be about though.

(it's also surprisingly demoralizing to try to get anything done when your mouse's primary button will randomly double-, triple- or even quintuple-click, or fail to register entirely...)
Silentdarkness12

Re: Hideous Destructor [broken, please pretend it's on hiatu

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Ouchies.

....This would be the perfect time for me to work on more HD videos in the meantime perhaps.

I have a non-fubar'd version of HD. : P
Matt

Post by Matt »

Since I posted that I did fix the thumping thing and implemented at least some kind of sprinting fatigue, but there's still no bleeding... but mostly because I'm considering a major overhaul of the player damage system.

Might be an interesting early April (and mid April if I do manage to get Bright Week off...)
Fort of Hard Knox

Silentdarkness12 wrote:....This would be the perfect time for me to work on more HD videos in the meantime perhaps.
Same here. Getting good BFG footage is harder than I thought it would be...
Matt

Post by Matt »

The only thing I've been able to do reliably is to cheat, freeze, notarget and summon like I was doing a commercial photo shoot for food.
Almonds

Post by Almonds »

thankfully also I still have the latest fully functional version of HD in my doom folder, haha. glad I decided to go safety catch on it instead of outright deleting the older file.

thanks for the continuous stream of hard work and time you've been investing into this project, Vaec.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”