Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Hideous Destructor [now with new functional medikits!]

Post by Caligari87 »

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the stim overdosing. It just feels a little aggressive at the moment is all. Either that or I'm mis-using them again, which is rather probable considering my still-newbish skill with the game. I personally like the *ERPs as semi-static, area-control tools, especially for high-volume checkpoints and dealing with traps. My favorite tactic is to throw them around hallway corners, and in front of doors (either just before opening them or as a stopgap if I know I'm going to aggro something behind the door). I feel like making the HERP a portable attachment or function on the Vulc kind of undermines that use case.

By the way, I tested out the latest commit (fecc737) and the weapon inertia (even if incomplete) feels great so far, especially when braced and looking through a scope. Also the medikit altfire / Second Flesh issue I mentioned seems to be resolved sometime between now and the last time I tested it. On that note, have you considered working on a branch whenever the main build is in a semi-stable state so you don't need to put "don't download" on your commits?

EDIT: By the way, it appears your weapon collision detector is not getting cleaned up.

8-)
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [now with new functional medikits!]

Post by Matt »

Yes, whatever weapon collision stuff is in the latest commit right this moment is going to be promptly trashed.

Thanks for the feedback on the inertia stuff though - had a heck of a time debugging that between constantly forgetting the negative-pitch rule, accidentally making numbers cancel themselves out and stuff unintentionally flowing into negatives. @_@

Learning how to make branches is something that I will see to doing hopefully soon-ish...
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [still so frustratingly unbayoneted..

Post by Matt »

Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Feels great so far. My only complaint is turning into a wall is very jittery, where it used to just stop.

8-)
Matt

Post by Matt »

RightInfinity

Post by RightInfinity »

I'm having trouble loading wads with this mod. If I load it alone with the Doom2 wad everything works as intended, but if I try and use a map pack that doesn't even change monsters or has any scripting (1024.wad etc) they revert to their 'stock' doom forms and do barely any damage. is there a particular way I'm supposed to load the mod?

Edit: Disregard this, after about an hour of tweaking I realized the config I'd copied and was using for HD had some autoloading wads inside it. :?
Anyway, Great mod
Last edited by RightInfinity on Wed May 17, 2017 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Works for me. (loading HD first, then 1024)

EDIT: Tried loading the other way around, still works.

Tried with both folder and zip, both ways. No idea what could be wrong, especially if it's only the monsters that aren't being replaced. Does -noautoload do anything?

EDIT: Got it. Yeah, I've gotten into the habit of adding -noautoload when testing things out after a few incidents of hunting some strange bug for the better part of an hour...
RightInfinity

Post by RightInfinity »

I've actually got another bug report, though I'm not sure whether it's the mod or the software renderer. Basically using software (not the poly renderer) causes a crash whenever you fire for the first time on a map.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=56537
Matt

Post by Matt »

Seems like software mode crashes whenever there's a wallsprite. I wasn't able to figure it out until I replaced "DUST" with "SPID" and all the little spidermasterminds I could see in the split-second before the crash were perfectly unwalled.

I've disabled them as of this commit. (the link is not to the commit making the change itself, but to undo 2 other things I messed up trying to find the source of the crash)
Matt

Post by Matt »

I think I've got a release candidate here. At least I think I've cleared my to-do list for a 3.0.1 release.

If I don't learn about any new (or forgotten old) bugs from anyone by the end of Monday or so I'll post this as a release and move on to post-3.0.1 stuff!

edit: oh, right gotta do the bottles lol

edit: and there we are (edit: better link)

edit: some shit got fixed I forgot I'd been meaning to
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [Possible NEW UPDATE!????]

Post by Matt »

HyperLuke

Post by HyperLuke »

One question, why is it called Hideous Destructor, great mod!
Caligari87
Admin

Post by Caligari87 »

Tyrant, capture of humanity
Tyrant, conqueror of all
Tyrant, hideous destructor
Tyrant, every man shall fall
8-)
Matt

Post by Matt »

To go into even more detail, for a while I was stuck on a name for this mod way back in '06-7, when it was basically an assault rifle mod plus a couple monster replacements, and the following just kinda melded together:

- an RPG setting I'd been working on that I was cribbing many ideas from for/developing alongside this project, one of which main antagonists is a cult-army of immortal zombies called the Diabolical Emissaries of Destruction;

- a self-deprecating comment on all the bad programmer art I had made (much of which is in HD to this day);

- listening to too much Judas Priest.

Incidentally, we're only a couple weeks shy of the 10th anniversary of that time I tried to rename the mod. So glad that fell through.
RightInfinity

Post by RightInfinity »

Hey, I've been trying to set up a co-op game with a mate and we've been running into issues with HD getting desynced all the time. We've attempted to use both P2P and client-server modes for the networking and nothing stays synced up after one of us fires a gun. is there something we're missing?

Our launch options currently are:

Code: Select all

gzdoom.exe -host 2 -iwad doom2.wad -skill 2 -extratic -file hd.zip +map range +teamdamage 1

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”