Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.3.3d

Post by Caligari87 »

It's important to note that the "run" key in HD is a full-on no-holds-barred balls-to-the-wall flat-out sprint. I don't think anyone besides an Olympic athlete at peak physical conditioning is able to maintain that for more than 200m, and especially not a soldier with gear.

Videogames, with their odd perception of world scale and lack of true physical feedback, are subject to a lot of misconceptions. In the case of games that strive for some meaure of "realism" it's important to check your expectations against measurable aspects of the in-game reality, instead of the flawed perception we have of the game world. Hence, if you go to the HD shooting range as the "Naturist" class and check the map, you'll see that you are able to flat-out sprint about 150m. In my estimation this is a fairly realistic representation of the average sprinting ability of a moderately average physically fit individual.

The "always run" toggle is what a more realistic sustainable jog looks like. and in HD you can do that essentially forever.

8-)
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Sprint, slow down as soon as about to hit the heart attack, sprint and slow down again, and repeat. Slowing down could make you defenseless, so crouching often might help to survive in the long run.

Remember: Hideous Destructor is not your everyday-slightly-fair-realistic mod. Practicing through each time you get hurt, or die is the neat way to live longer.
CaptainNurbles
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by CaptainNurbles »

Hey, just a quick, silly question.

I've just discovered that there are different variants of hunter shotguns. My question is, is it possible to have enemies spawn with certain variants of the hunter? I've got a monster mod I've been working on making compatible with HDster and I wonder if it would be doable to have some enemies have one variant of the hunter, while others have another. Having taken a look at the hunter's code, I haven't been able to gather any way to do this.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I have no recollection of adding anything to allow customizing what kind of Hunter the shotgun guys have.

Any shotgun-related developments are on hold pending a total overhaul of how all of it works, ETA 2022 at this rate... (EDIT: I was trying to say "next year" but forgot whether it was 2020 or 2021, that's the kind of state I'm in right now)
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor 4.4.1a

Post by Matt »

NEW UPDATE!

Highlights of changes:
  • hd_yolo replaced with hd_pof "Power of Friendship". When you die you can't respawn until all other living players are nearby, and when you do you spawn right where you died and are incapacitated. Co-op only.
  • Fixed some glitches that made certain monsters unkillable in some situations.
  • FireBullet() now respects bullet actor replacement.
  • H.E.R.P.s can now have their default pitch set.
  • 9mm and jackboots both nerfed slightly.
  • Lots of little not-entirely-game-breaking bug fixes.
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Matt wrote:hd_yolo replaced with hd_pof "Power of Friendship". When you die you can't respawn until all other living players are nearby, and when you do you spawn right where you died and are incapacitated. Co-op only.
Well, that's impressive! Definitely makes teamwork more worthwhile. But what if no one's around to save you or just busy walking around the map. So you just still lie down where you died? Is spectate possible even?
Matt

Post by Matt »

Nope, your primary resort is to yell at the straggler to get their ass over there.

Teamwork!
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

I've played several PoF games so far, and it's quite amazing actually. I get that being stuck dead while everyone else is playing is alien to a lot of Doomers, so I just want to point out that Power of Friendship mode (like HD itselt) is specifically meant to disrupt the normal way of playing Doom. Normally in a co-op game, there's an element of slower less skilled players getting left behind while the fast and skilled players run ahead. Even in HD this holds true because death is merely a temporary setback. There's little point to sticking together when one person can clear the map on their own, and if they die then just respawn with most of your gear, and just rush back to the frontline.

In PoF (and the earlier YOLO mode it replaced), this kind of behavior is actively punished, in favor of teamwork. If one player rushes ahead and dies, they must wait for the rest of the players to catch up and revive them. If a player falls behind and dies, the team is now permanently down a man unless they backtrack and revive. In this way, the safety of the entire group becomes a collective issue. It's a tough change to wrap your head around sometimes, but in my opinion the level of cooperation it brings is well worth the growing pains, especially in a game like Hideous Destructor.

8-)
Captain J

Post by Captain J »

Well, as long as both Realism and Realistic penalty are remain reasonable in Hideous Destructor, i guess that's unfair, but actually fair if you think about it.

Speaking of realism, can you heal others with healing items or powerup even? Repairing or sharing armor shard might be helpful as well.
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Captain J wrote:Speaking of realism, can you heal others with healing items or powerup even?
I know that you can use medikits/stims on other players. Don't know about healing potions, because powerups certainly not.
I also think there's some penalty on using the same medikit on someone and then on yourself, but I was never able to test it.

Though the PoF addition sounds great! I will have to keep it in mind if I ever get a stable-enough internet connection going to actually play multiplayer. :lol:
Or when I get over my fear of it....
panju
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by panju »

I lost my preset loadouts and they're all empty slots. Is there a way to get them back?
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

panju wrote:I lost my preset loadouts and they're all empty slots. Is there a way to get them back?
Ctrl+R on the loadout screen will reset any given slot to its default.
panju
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by panju »

Thank you!!
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

How do I unload/reload a DERP? Couldn't find anything on it.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Use it so the interface comes up as your "weapon", then hit unload/reload

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”