Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Serathis

Re: Hideous Destructor

Post by Serathis »

dawnbreez wrote:I figured out that tapping crouch gives you the speed boost from sliding
POWERSLIIIIIIIIIIIDE...
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

Speaking of powersliding, it's made a big difference in surviving maps that expect you to get out of a sticky situation right after you've been exposed to it--for instance, right after being teleported directly in front of a Revenant. Several maps that used to be hard to complete became much easier when I had a way to get a quick burst of speed and make myself a smaller target for a little bit.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

I played this a long time ago and I was upset and confused about the difficulty, but I've tried it again and I've played through the entirety of Ultimate Doom (except for one level in episode 4 which starts you out surrounded by hitscanners) with it, this is a really fun mod. I like that there's finally something out there that finally allows me to manage individual magazines for my shooty guns and doesn't crash every 10 minutes. If I could throw a suggestion out there, it'd be have the shotgun make a slightly different sound when you short stroke it. A dumb little detail that would make me happy is if you could dry fire the manually operated guns (pump shotgun and bolt-action rifle).
invictius

Post by invictius »

The link is only for the source code?
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

I can link to the main git page, then people complain about not knowing where the release is.

I can link to the release page, then people don't see the readme.

I give up.
BeatCrazed

Post by BeatCrazed »

Invictius, this link is to the source code but you don't need to compile it before running the game. Just download the source code zip and add that to your load order and you're good to go.
abbuw

Post by abbuw »

I've been playing the latest version (3.3.2.6) with the latest stable release of GZDoom (3.4.1) and I've encountered a few little bugs and things that annoy me or whatever.

List o' bugs
  • Reloading your SMG when you're carrying the maximum amount of magazines results in you dumping the used mag on the floor, even if you're holding the reload button down. You can pick it back up and add it back to your magazine reservoir.
  • Unloading the side saddles on the shotguns makes you dump all the shells on the ground which you have to manually pick up.
  • Sometimes you can stick your gun in map geometry
List o' annoyances
  • Right now in the year of 2018 there exists really good full color night vision. I'd assume that in the future with Thunder Busters and BFGs and Vulcanettes that full color night vision would be pretty common place. If being able to see too much is an issue you could probably throw a static filter over the vision or something. Solid green night vision really hurts my eyeballs.
  • It feels like going all Evil Dead with the corpses doesn't really seem to hinder the healer imps as much as it does the arch-viles.
  • Sometimes it seems you're more interested in kicking around a body than picking up some ammo or grenades.
  • A tiny little nitpick! The red dot probably shouldn't actually be visible on the HUD sprite of the ZM-66 or the Liberator.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

If your ammo capacity is at max then dropping all the stuff you unload seems like the correct behaviour. I might have to fix the situations where that is not the case.

That said, I might take a look at all this in the future. We've got the following possibilities:
- off hand remove old mag and pocket it, then off hand take and load new mag - standard
- off hand remove old mag and drop it to the floor, then off hand take and load new mag - seems stupid but might be better than stopping and thinking about what you're going to do first
- trigger hand hit mag release, off hand take and load mag while old mag drops to floor - fastest, but presumes that your trigger hand can reach the mag release which won't be the case with the bullpups
- off hand take new mag, then grab both mags, then hit mag release, load new mag, pocket old mag - easy to do while relaxed and under no pressure at the range, risk of dropping both mags and taking way longer if under stress

This may be subject to a rethink later on, as hopefully exactly what the player does with a given input is either standardized or at least non-standardized in a way that has some in-game justification.

As for gun sticking in geometry, right now HD is in a bit of a middle ground between Infiltration (your gun would get stuck all the time and would not retract) and Ground Branch (your gun instantly flickers out of existence if your muzzle is blocked). I personally think it's the better compromise.

The priority on corpses is just a side effect of the larger corpse hitbox. I can make it so that the pickup check can disable the kicking if true, but that would have other consequences that could be a lot more game-breaking.
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Maybe kicking corpses could be done with the [jump] instead, provided the player isn't dashing or pressed against a wall trying to mantle. I tend to envision the [use] key being your context-sensitive offhand key, and kicking seems to be the only place where that's not consistent. Bonus, perhaps kicking could work on more than just corpses, so I could kick weapons and pickups out of the way instead of having to "grab" them out of the way.

8-)
Matt

Post by Matt »

dead person stinky bad push away
shiny thing good take

dunno, the current behaviour just works for me intuitively

as for colour night vision i'm doing a bit of reading to try to see where the catch is, but i might consider making b&w versus green an option. EDIT: I have no idea what that giant png means lol
Last edited by Matt on Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abba Zabba

Post by Abba Zabba »

I agree on the current status quo regarding kicking and muzzle collision being pretty comfortable at the moment. Only real thing that gets a bit frustrating would be the kick checker not working properly on corpses that are slightly above you in a non-navigable area (think of a raised corner trim in a map, decorative and only a few doom units wide, but still map geometry) Corpse lands on there, it can't seem to be kicked unless you get on it's level. An example off the top of my head would be map 36 of dump 2. In the first room with zombies in it, you can get a corpse stuck on the doorway trim/decoration that leads into the hallway beyond the zombie room.
XASSASSINX

Post by XASSASSINX »

Hey, Passing by, Can someone explain to me what is the "Tradeoff" in the backpack?
let me explain: There's no reason to put something in your backpack. It only make you bulkier AND you can't use it. Some are going to reply that the point is being able to carry more. but besides that, Does putting anything in your backpack helps you? Because for me i ALWAYS put everything on my person. (Less height + being able to use it).
Fallingferret

Post by Fallingferret »

XASSASSINX wrote:Hey, Passing by, Can someone explain to me what is the "Tradeoff" in the backpack?
let me explain: There's no reason to put something in your backpack. It only make you bulkier AND you can't use it. Some are going to reply that the point is being able to carry more. but besides that, Does putting anything in your backpack helps you? Because for me i ALWAYS put everything on my person. (Less height + being able to use it).
if you play with full encumbrance(everything weighs you down), then it allows you to pack away spare items and ammo you don't need, so you can drop it all at once to move quicker for an encounter. then you just pick it up later when you aren't in combat. otherwise, yeah, it's not super useful outside of hoarding even more ammo
Caligari87
Admin
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Caligari87 »

Items in the backpack take up 10% less bulk, so it's actually better to put as much of your stuff in the backpack as possible (provided you won't need it right away). For example: Ladders, environment suits, all but one stimpack. All unopened medikits, All ammo more than 50% of your onhand capacity for your primary weapon, blue potions, talismans, etc... And you can dump all that bulk with a single keypress.

8-)
Matt

Post by Matt »

Basically, if you're just playing one map or something and you're never going to be in a situation where you've got to use a buttload of ammo, don't get a backpack.

Personally I just use it to carry spares of things - HEATs, batteries, unusual ammo - I don't have any immediate use for but might later. (Relatedly, lite-amps will be carryable in the backpack next release.)

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”