Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.2.5.1]

Post by Matt »

Yeah, apparently I had misremembered! They were the two possibilities I had considered when implementing the crits. It was that song getting into my head at the right time that was the deciding factor.

There will never be "boom head shot" in HD for, without limitation, the following reasons:

1. the way things are set up now, a head hitbox will require dozens and dozens of lines of ad hoc spaghetti just to make sure there's never any chance a monster (or worse, a player) can shoot themselves in the head trying to aim at an unusually steep angle. Without this separate hitbox, there's no way to make the head a smaller target and the "all or nothing" gamble one takes when aiming for the head no longer applies.

2. If the head, then what about major arteries in the limbs? The hepatic artery? Gut shots, knees? The spine? To carve out this special treatment for the head while treating the entire rest of the body as homogenous would create a pointlessly lopsided target.

3. Related to that lopsidedness, we live in a culture that far too greatly values the chattering noise in the cerebrum above other things that matter at least as much in our bodies and environment. Nevermind realism, mythically it's not something I particularly feel like supporting at this stage of my life.

4. Inasmuch as HD is a simulator for best practices, a bonus target for center of body mass is preferable as Somagu has mentioned.

5. Inasmuch as HD is a game with aesthetic considerations, a centre target that roughly conforms to the golden ratio on the vertical axis is preferable to one on the top 12%. Also, rewarding players for winging their targets and penalizing them for hitting dead-on seems a bit too weird.

6. I am no longer able to associate headshots in games with anything other than prurient gorefests. While fun, it's not something I'm at all interested in replicating for HD.

The only One exception to all this is the fist. Not entirely sure why I don't feel similarly about melee weapons, really, though punching someone in the face is always more personal than blowing their brains out from afar, and the accuracy issue is very different - you can miss the head going forwards and hit them on your way back, which obviously can't happen with a bullet.

As for point 6, the ridiculousness of gibbing someone by punching them is one of my major formative memories of first playing Doom, so it needs to stay. :)

EDIT: The other exceptions of course being the pinky, lost soul and caco...
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

I could be a cunt about it, but I'll also accept the statement that it's hard to implement in an already existing line of programming. As you're not a fan of delegating work, I'll consider it a lost aspect.
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Enemies during their wander state sometimes trip a teleporter line and stick on there, causing a teleportation effect to take place to where they're supposed to be teleported to, like a big green ball of flashy lights.
Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that, but I just figured I'd bring it up. Can't say I've seen this before.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Matt wrote: As for point 6, the ridiculousness of gibbing someone by punching them is one of my major formative memories of first playing Doom, so it needs to stay. :)
I'll say.

Berserk was not used in this gif, but I would also like to say that this never happens without perfect punches and I'd like to ask you to please not remove gibbing for non-zerk punches. You should be able to appreciate that these punches were landed while sprinting, on the head, and with an incredibly good and quick camera twist for damage, with good footing, and presumably better RNG. This is probably the most satisfying thing I've ever recorded, keeping those factors in mind.
DavidWolfe

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.2.5]

Post by DavidWolfe »

Matt wrote:(As for the change: all I changed was whether the raised player corpses would drop weapons on a subsequent death. This would mean that the main difference would occur in situations where a playercorpse was placed on the map, then something raised it, then it died again for whatever reason. A map that had an archvile and a bunch of player corpses (which would not normally be raisable) may well cause this situation to arise enough times to seriously skew the entire map's ammo balance.)
Throwing an arc back to this, I went back a few builds and noticed that in some maps, some of the deadriflemen spawns will actually perform their dying animation on spawn. This doesn't seem to happen on later versions.

I was thinking perhaps alternatively of spawning a truckload of ammo, might it be possible to have these corpses spawn a little amount of viscera/blood, perhaps empty shells or casings depending on what weapon they spawn with to add a little bit to the intensity of the proceeding battle? Just an idea i'm toying with to add more ambiance.
Spoiler:
Fort of Hard Knox

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

I haven't touched the blur seriously in the entire time it's been in, nor have I ever had anything deeper than persistent lethal damage. I would always find spiritual healing and end up boosting myself to incredible stamina and resistances, so I never experienced aggravated. I touched it recently with the new build, and right now I'm 6 levels in with 60 max health and enough blur in my system that any attempt to purge it that I've found has resulted in immolation by conflicting magics. I'm stacking together spare pistol rounds in a small corner with half a vest and I'm swimming in hallucinations.

I see 'Out of Sync with: 2' at the top of my screen and I nearly Alt-F4 out of reflex, which would have dumped 20 minutes of unsaved progress. Matt you're an ingenious, deceiving swine and I love it.

and re: center of mass crits, aren't these guys a little spry and smart to be traditional zombies? They seem more possessed and controlled by demon magic, in their various states of life or near death, than 'lol gimmie brains'. Headshots aren't mandatory when you only need to cause enough harm that the magic can't keep them useable. Which is why center of mass works well and the "zombies" can "bleed". And yeah tbh headshots are overdone and I'm personally glad they aren't in.

EDIT: I'm curious as to why I'm playing an Ultimate Doom level set and I'm getting Kranged by invisible imps that behave like arachnos?

UPDATE: I have achieved Ninety-Nine Aggravated Damage™ with nearly a full dose of blur trying to survive past that. I thought the run was over until I checked my inventory and saw I still had 5 doses of 'zerk, and in a fit of incredible timing In The Air Tonight came on. This run isn't over yet....
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Fort of Hard Knox wrote:UPDATE: I have achieved Ninety-Nine Aggravated Damage™ with nearly a full dose of blur trying to survive past that. I thought the run was over until I checked my inventory and saw I still had 5 doses of 'zerk, and in a fit of incredible timing In The Air Tonight came on. This run isn't over yet....
This is officially the best post in all these 465 pages.

Somagu: Your post is definitely among the contenders! :V But yes, I agree and have no intention of removing this feature.

DW: I think I know what causes the toeing-teleporter spam and I think I know how to fix it.

It turned out that the earlier builds didn't set up the death states correctly (the state labels were "spawndead" rather than "death.spawndead") which is why the regular animations (and drops) were happening.

I'll think about the whole adding-more-debris thing.
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Okay, so, I just noticed that running out of breath while also picking up a healing item also triggers the continuous a_pain, think you can do anything with that information?
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Someone finally explained what's going on with ZScript and Doom Editor Numbers. Looks like Doom Ed Numbers have to be clarified in MAPINFO now. The tagging and such for ZScript actors goes inside the default block of the actor.

And for the record, Matt, it would be nice if you could include categories and titles at the very least.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I already do! 3 items isn't exactly a terribly excessive "misc." section.

Here's what I'm planning to add once I get home (possibly very late tonight)
It should be significantly more readable without the additional actor definition stuff
Spoiler:
Silentdarkness12

Post by Silentdarkness12 »

Very nice. I hope you will also include the debris items that get left behind from signs of a slaughter.

HDShellAmmo, spent magazines, casings, frag spoons, dud grenades, etc etc.
Matt

Post by Matt »

"running out of breath while also picking up a healing item also triggers the continuous a_pain"

Just how close do these events have to be together? I don't seem to be able to replicate this.

And what kind of healing items are we talking about???
DavidWolfe

Post by DavidWolfe »

Matt wrote:"running out of breath while also picking up a healing item also triggers the continuous a_pain"

Just how close do these events have to be together? I don't seem to be able to replicate this.

And what kind of healing items are we talking about???

Sorry, should have elaborated, in this case I picked up a megasphere after running out of breath, while the degeneration was in progress.

Also, is it a good suggestion to get rid of the limp you get when falling off of heights when you've picked up the invincibility sphere? Just for an extra godlike feeling? I dunno if stamina falls under invincibility.
(With berserk I imagine even with the greatest drug you'd feel your shins break off through your kneecaps)
Matt

Post by Matt »

Getting rid of stun while invulnerable is one of those things I keep thinking I will do but forget every time XD I will make a note.

If it's the megasphere it's probably the damage conversion from spiritual armour (converts everything to falling). I think I'll make an exception for internal damage. (Don't want it to convert everything to internal because that just looks silly)
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

Could you add an toggle in the HD options menu for falling damage?

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”