Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Fort of Hard Knox

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.2.4.1]

Post by Fort of Hard Knox »

I love the sped up SSG. Definitely feels more of a contender against the pump/semi.

Something feels wrong about the SMG and reloading. I fell into something where I could feed pistol magazines into the SMG, but I would have to break down picked up stick mags to have them converted back into stick mags that can feed straight into the SMG.

UPDATE: I may have yet to figure out how things are working, but the SMG mags feed fine, I think. But the HUD still displays the amount of pistols mags over the SMG magazine counter when you switch from pistol to SMG.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

The counter was a bug in the HUD code (forgot to replace a word when copypasting) and has been fixed.

I wasn't able to find any other potential source of confusion between the two mag types when reloading, so hopefully that all should work as intended.
Serathis

Post by Serathis »

I have been thinking about the whole fall damage issue and I see a few ways to fix it (not that many).

Most obvious is just disabling fall damage.

Otherwise, I was thinking of a grappling hook ala Project Reality. A projectile that leaves a trail of climbable rope. Alt fire tosses it lightly, so you can use it to climb down a ledge. Using it retrieves it. Its not like it could be used for sequence breaking any more than the normal climbing anyway :)
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

It's been a while since I was last active here, have been really busy unfortunately. I really like the overall changes that have been made to this mod since the shift to zscript.
Spoiler: short video of me trying out the latest version
I'm gonna try to reupload some of my HD-addons after I've checked if they are still good (RTC-3057 patch needs some reworking due to pistol pickup in closet no longer triggering the script needed to progress for some reason).

As per tradition of my common activity in this thread, here are some bugs I've found so far:
  1. ZombieSMGStormtrooper only shoots in single shots, while ZombieSemiStormtrooper does not.
  2. Using alt reload with the SMG fills up the entire spare 9mm ammo pool, while only consuming a single pistol magazine.
  3. Wrong A_Jump statements to "spawn" in class ZombieStormtrooper (zscript/zombieman.txt) at lines 51, 65, 74, and 75, should be changed to "spawn2".
  4. Speaking of lines 74 & 75, the A_Jump statement on line 74 seems redundant, since the one on 75 always branches to the same state (should one of those branch to "spawnwander" instead?).
And lastly, congrats on getting recognized by PCGamer, Matt!
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Thanks (though I'd rather have a new person get introduced through that video you just posted than by that article anyday)!

I wish I were surprised how long it took for me to notice the SMG and semi SMG trooper bugs. Former has been fixed and I'll look at the zombieman code later.

As for the pistol, I'm assuming the pistol should trigger its special on pickup. I wish I knew of a way to arbitrarily trigger a special since I'm not sure if +usespecial might have any side effects... EDIT: besides simply doing nothing -_-

EDIT:
ZombieSMGStormtrooper only shoots in single shots, while ZombieSemiStormtrooper does not.
The check should be ~line 135:

Code: Select all

if(
                //conditions under which no autofire can happen
                mag<1
                ||firemode>4
                ||-2<firemode<1
                //||!firemode||firemode==1 //if that double-< doesn't work
            ){
I'm pretty sure that "-2<firemode<1" worked at some point, and I'm sure I must've seen it somewhere in another coding language. I'll have to see if the alternative I've just added in and commented out addresses this.

Other two zombieman issues will be fixed.

As for the pickup special I'll have to take a much closer look to see what's actually going on with them. There is at least one thing I did wrong with the pistol that would break virtually any pistol pickup special though.

EDIT: Not sure why it ever worked or if I'm just imagining things, now that I try to parse this in computerese instead of commonsense:

-2<firemode<1
(-2<firemode)<1
(-2<-2)<1
(false)<1
0<1
true

But it does explain why I never get an error message from this.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

Been poking around the RTC-pistol issue, trying to find the cause of it to no avail. It could possibly be zscript class types conflicting with 2004 ACS scripts, but I should not guess around until I do some further testing to confirm this.
I reuploaded my monster variation mod, which has some new stuff.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I actually don't know how exactly the RTC pistol works. Is it just a pistol pickup with a special?

Should I replace the old "New zombies" link in the OP?

EDIT: leaving this link here before I head home from the office so I can dl tonight: https://zdoom.org/wiki/RTC-3057
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

You can delete it along with my other old mods, those links have been dead ever since Dropbox changed it's public sharing functions, and I'll reupload those some time in the future.

Edit: Tried out the latest build of HD and it works with RTC-3057 now! I'll reupload the compat patch as soon as I've done some tweaking with it.
Edit 2: Here is the patch, let me know if you run into any trouble with this.
Edit 3: ..And here are the Doom 64 shotguns, both included in a single file.
Fort of Hard Knox

Hey Matt, there is something weird happening with bleeding. Fingler, Sledge and I are doing some testing but I have a short video here for ya.
Spoiler:
Matt

Post by Matt »

Thanks! Will take a look.

Here's the code for bleeding damage:

//bleeding
        if(
            mod=="bleedout"
        ){
            if(!skill || hd_nobleed){
                A_TakeInventory("WoundCount");
                woundcount=0;
                return 0;
            }
            if(!checkliquidtexture() && !waterlevel){
                a_spawnitemex("HDBloodTrailFloor",
                    random(-12,12),random(-12,12),0,
                    0,SXF_NOCHECKPOSITION|SXF_USEBLOODCOLOR
                );
            }
            if(damage<health)source=null;
        }else if(
                mod=="smallarms0"|| ... 
and CheckLiquidTexture:

bool CheckLiquidTexture(){
        int lqlength=lq.size();
        for(int i=0; i<lqlength; i++){
            TextureID tx = TexMan.CheckForTexture(lq[i], TexMan.Type_Flat);
            if (tx && floorpic == tx){
                return true;
            }
        }
        return false;
} 
I don't see anything in there that would cause a desync. I'll have to run a few tests at home commenting things out one at a time...

EDIT: Very likely the bandaging, let me see what sort of random (literally) crap (not literally) is going on there...
EDIT: Not random at all:

else if(w is "SelfBandage"){
            int of=0;
            let hp=hdplayerpawn(pp);
            if(hp && hp.woundcount){
                drawimage(
                    "BLUDC0",(-17,-6),
                    DI_SCREEN_CENTER_BOTTOM|DI_ITEM_RIGHT,
                );
                of=clamp(hp.woundcount*0.2,1,3);
                if(oddtic%3)of=-of;
            }
            drawwepdot(-22,-8+of,(2,10));
            drawwepdot(-17,-12+of,(12,2));
        }
Might be a problem with that "oddtic" thing being done from the status bar, I have no idea right now... and from what I undertand that shouldn't interact with the playsim as to cause a desync.

EDIT: Have you guys managed to get a desync without the bleeding player trying to bandage themselves? Or with the bandages selected but no actual attempt made?
Fort of Hard Knox

From the tests Fingler and I did, bleeding would almost always lead to a desync at some point, with or outwith bandaging or medkits
Matt

Post by Matt »

Thanks! This should narrow it down a lot, ghough I still can't figure out what the issue is just looking at the code.

(By the way, there's an undocumented cheat, give wound <number> that I use to test bleeding stuff.)

EDIT: Reporting back with some bad news: I can't replicate this using 2 instances. Even if one instance is software and the other GL, one no FPS cap and one with. Not even with changing HUD sizes, bandaging or otherwise, in DM or coop. [2018-01-20 edit: tried fake latency, still doesn't desync at least until GZDoom freezes due to an unrelated bug.]

If this is happening even when no one has bandages selected, the only thing that I could even potentially see causing a problem (the "oddtic") is almost certainly not the culprit.

Are you guys absolutely sure neither of you has something autoloaded related to blood?

EDIT: Might as well get rid of the oddtic and see if it addresses the issue at all.
Matt

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.2.5]

Post by Matt »

I don't know if this NEW UPDATE! addresses the bleeding desync at all, but nothing would stop me from releasing a 3.2.5.1 if needed.
  • Fixes:
    • Drop/purge functions finally revisited and restored to functionality now that all ammo is scriptified.
    • When you "drop weapon" your fist to remove miscellaneous items, you'd momentarily be visibly selecting another weapon before going back to the fist. That moment has been made negligible thanks to the power of ZScript.
    • Chaingunner flagged as ambush never actually looked for enemies.
    • Removed an incomprehensible method of calculating the size of the TryMove step in the SlowProjectile. It would have caused bigger projectiles to take smaller steps and vice versa. I remember having a reason for doing this but not the reason itself.
    • Muzzle collision and falling damage now play much less dysfunctionally with portals - the checks are just skipped if the player is more than 100 units away from where they were the immediately preceding tick. This actually restores an old safety workaround I had for teleporters back when everything was done by ACS.
    • Headshots no longer possible when punching barrels. I may revisit this in the future, as the top is where all the exposed goo is and it does kinda potentially make sense.
    • Soft crash when your tripwire trap fails due to a door moving too fast and breaking the wire.
    • ZM66 jam logic repaired.
    • Zombieman fire mode logic repaired.
    • Certain spawns broke some pickup specials.
    • Hand grenades were spamming error messages on explosion due to changes in order of certain items being processed.
    • Amounts of ammo dropped with the drop command now conform to their sprites and pickups - no more dropping all your Brontornis rounds and seeing only one, or a dozen pistol rounds contained in one!
    • Now-disabled menu commands are gone.
  • New cvars and commands:
    • give immunitytofire. Because testing this stuff with that constant smoke is irritating.
    • hd_resetloadout and hd_resetbackpack. They should be self-explanatory.
    • hd_noscope: if 0, the scoped view appears whenever the sight picture appears; if 1, this makes the scoped view only visible while you are "slow-aiming" with a braced weapon; if 2, the scoped view never appears unless you hit zoom. Note that the zoom key overrides this setting.
    • +hd_zoom: pressing this will set the hd_noscope cvar to 0, and letting go will set it to 2. As this bind messes with player settings, this is left unbound by default and does not appear in the menu.
  • Removed features:
    • Some hacky workarounds in TryShoot.
    • Various experimental functions that were never used.
    • Yokai. Apparently UDoom has always had the BOSF2 sprites and a D1 replacement had never been necessary! o_O (Still have to switch over to imp sounds though.)
  • New features:
    • Backpack! No more magic, you have to actually open the bag and pull shit out to use it. Fire and altfire move your cursor; hold fire mode to select only one at a time. Reload and unload work as though the backpack were a weapon, except that the item must go into your inventory rather than being dropped on the ground. Drop-one drops the selected item from your inventory (not the backpack). Mash zoom to dump out all the contents.
    • Ladder! Use it when facing a ledge, from above or below (below has to be within a fairly narrow window of heights). Press use on the ladder while facing it to engage it; press jump at any time, or press use while facing away from it, or press sprint while on top of and not actually climbing it, to disengage. Press jump while holding crouch to dismantle the ladder.
    • Blur sphere! It can be worn and taken off at will. It advances in power with use. Is designed to thematically complement the summoning talisman that has replaced the blur sphere up to this point (and still mostly does).
  • Scriptified the hell knight, putto and mancubus!
  • Scriptified the psalter helmet!
  • Stripping armour can be done by the reload key on self-bandage as well as medikit - now all you need to remember is hit 9 and reload.
  • Things affecting all your inventory (inventory resets, cheats) now slightly more efficient.
  • Recreated the weapon-specific ammo counts that used to be on the SBARINFO non-fullscreen HUD.
  • Added a shortcut to the far end of the range.
  • Some better effects for the Thunder Buster from the uke's end.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

Is designed to thematically complement the summoning talisman that has replaced the blur sphere up to this point
Ah yes, a Ring of Power to go with my Horn of Gondor.

Thanks for the killer update! Ladder and Backpack overhaul is really incredibly kickass!
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

Using the ladder in a spot that you can't use it ("you can't hang a ladder here") duplicates the ladder in your inventory. Also, I can't seem to hold to reload to store a zm66 mag in my pocket. It drops the mag 100% of the time.

EDIT: The rocket launcher's zoomed in view is in the wrong spot. The left of it is unzoomed.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”