Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [Release version 3.1.0.5]

Post by Matt »

No significant change to the TB was needed, as it turns out! Seems like something about all that fire and smoke was being rejected like a badly transplanted evil babuin heart. I've changed the way the fire effects work and things seem fine so far.

Now to deal with that random really awful banding that actually causes players to be flung at incredible speeds... EDIT: which is apparently every single jump forward, ever...
Turns out this was just me forgetting to change a few things to account for "overloaded" now being non-zero even when you're not literally overloaded.

Fires still crash.* But I'm 99% sure it's fires and nothing to do with the TB.

*EDIT: Can someone do me a favour and type "give fire 100" on the console and put themselves out with the latest commit, and do it again a few times? I've constantly been getting segfaults and I have no idea if it's my computer or something else.

EDIT: Um... it seems to go away when I switch back to GL o_O If I had any idea just what it was trying to do I might file a bug report...
Last edited by Matt on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RightInfinity

Post by RightInfinity »

Vaecrius wrote:EDIT: Can someone do me a favour and type "give fire 100" on the console and put themselves out with the latest commit, and do it again a few times? I've constantly been getting segfaults and I have no idea if it's my computer or something else.

EDIT: Um... it seems to go away when I switch back to GL o_O If I had any idea just what it was trying to do I might file a bug report...
Yeah, I tried and didn't get any kind of issue, just cooked bodies :D

I'm running under open gl
RightInfinity

Post by RightInfinity »

All right, Downloaded today's bleeding edge release, while showcasing the veiw/mouselook jerkyness that didn't show up well in the last video, and demonstrating the medikits killing co-op partners. 60 FPS video:

Other bugs:
Rare one-time crash related to shooting a barrel on the firing range (couldn't reproduce, was shooting it with the liberator)
Doomguy seems claustrophobic now. (In the range, crouch under the table, then release crouch under it. It'll start to do damage and kill you)
Spawning as new class with medkits lets you drop and pick them up again for extra stims.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Last 2 bugs now addressed.

Was there a crash log or momentary freeze, or just a very abrupt quitting? I've been getting the latter with what I think are things related to puffs but I have no idea what it might actually be.

I have no idea how to address the banding while turning. Basically it's now subject to as much stuff as actual movement, so I'm inclined to think it's not actually something that can be addressed without a faster connection...
EDIT: Almost certainly lag+movement prediction. If anyone knows how to get the movement prediction to work in line with the modified turning I'd love to hear it.

As for the medikit thing, what exactly did you guys actually do? Like, what buttons were being pressed?
EDIT:

Code: Select all

invoker.target.damagemobj(invoker,self,1,"smallarms0");
I forgot to test this with friendly fire on. Also, until I changed it just now teamdamage overrode forced damage. It should be working as intended now.
RightInfinity

Post by RightInfinity »

Vaecrius wrote:Was there a crash log or momentary freeze, or just a very abrupt quitting? I've been getting the latter with what I think are things related to puffs but I have no idea what it might actually be.
It crashed straight to the zdoom reporter, so here's the saved report (attached)

[imgur]http://i.imgur.com/uHtrymY[/imgur]

We tried a DM game together, and here's what we found: (although these a probably the least important things)
Weapons and items stop respawning after a point for some reason, but it happens pretty early on so maps turn barren pretty quickly. we couldn't find any cause why, with both weapons stay on or off (which appears to be ignored, to boot)
A single stimpack may be used infinite times on other players, making it pretty easy to overdose them (Does not count as a kill)
Dead bodies can revive.
Derp and Herp kills do not count for kills (Probably intended)
Armour Ghosts probably need a despawn timer in DM
Attachments
CrashReportscopedlibshot.zip
(21.19 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Matt

Post by Matt »

I'm surprised anything respawns at all, given how the pickups work! (fixing this has been very low priority for me for years since you can spawn with any weapon, also it makes campers last stand heroes rather than cheap exploiters)

I gotta admit I have no idea what to do with crash logs. I was asking mostly to get an idea what kind of crash it was - these ones that go to the log and aren't obviously replicable (e.g., semicolon errors) I've never been able to resolve.

Stim/zerkpack glitch fixed, and ghost timer no longer resets in deathmatch.

Dead bodies can revive in monster-free deathmatch if a BFG is in play.

EDIT: Also found the cure for everyone-manscreams syndrome and my-scope-shows-the-view-from-my-former-life-itis.

EDIT: After having lost this entire weekend and missed a fair number of good and special times with people I care about trying to fix this, I regret to announce that I am completely unable to fix that segfault that happens when you try to put out a fire in software mode.

Software mode will no longer be supported. [in before "implying that I ever supported it anytime these past 3 years"...]

EDIT: If I replace all instances of the SMOK sprites with PUFF, I can't replicate the segfault. Still there.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

It's worth mentioning that the look jitter is way, way better on the stable version, whatever can or can't be done about it.
Matt

Post by Matt »

In that case I guess there is something that can be done... if only I could remember what had been done between!

And speaking regressions, I just replicated the segfault on 3.1.0.5 and 2.3.2, so fixing that now would be a bonus rather than undoing a major regression.

EDIT: I'd added a line clamping the player's yaw input before making the rest of the calculations. I can't think of anything else that would make a difference. That line has now been disabled.

Does anyone know the thing for faking latency to test stuff like this?
RightInfinity

Post by RightInfinity »

Vaecrius wrote:Does anyone know the thing for faking latency to test stuff like this?
Clumsy might be what you're looking for.

That latest commit appears not to change the issue, sadly.

Using that utility I tested the old stable release on a choppy 500ms connection and mouselook remained smooth, only getting twitchy with heavier weapons.
Matt

Post by Matt »

no speaky windows

There was actually an internal ZDoom function for this, I remember asking about this like 4 years ago and I totally forgot the answer...

EDIT: I've just moved the super.tick() back to before the movement calls. This should work, and if it doesn't I'm out of ideas.
(EDIT: Unless the predictor were reading the results of MovePlayer, but that makes no sense (especially given that I can totally disable all turning and the predictor would still let you jiggle your view around since it's still predicting based on your input))
RightInfinity

Post by RightInfinity »

The change doesn't appear to have changed mouselook behavior at all, though I have noticed that movement and jumping is now buttery smooth. Platforming just might be possible now.

I'm not sure what zdoom itself can do to simulate lag, though *nix can easily emulate it by default
Matt

Post by Matt »

Not sure why one would be affected but not the other. I'll take a closer look.
EDIT: Given how utterly simple and direct the vanilla turning code is, and the behaviour that results when I disable all turning entirely (whether by ignoring player.cmd.yaw or forcing it to zero every tic), it would not surprise me at all to learn for sure that the movement prediction code cannot account for anything other than pitch/yaw input. I'm gonna leave this alone until I'm told otherwise.

In the meantime, if anyone is actually getting that software mode segfault that is ruining my life!!! right now, it seems that one thing that can potentially stop or delay it is to go into the "Change rendering output" menu and mess around with some of the settings, say toggle truecolour on and off, then go back in. (by the way does anyone know what "software canvas" does?)

By the way, as of last night I changed the way wiped-out respawns work in an elimination game so you can be a mobile spectator instead of just staring at a blank screen. Please let me know if you run into any problems (besides the spectator text overlapping with the wipetype, I'll go back to the ACS hudmessage later tonight).
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

In lieu of bumping that old-ass thread, I'll just mention here that
1: Synthetic Deities (and probably your other mods like Superball and Make it Snappy) can't be downloaded anymore.
2: I apparently only just realized that the Phoenix Rod doesn't have a spawn state and can't actually be acquired without picking it as your class weapon.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Snappy is an attachment to the OP on the thread so that is still downloadable.

Surprisingly, the Mediafire link for SB is not dead :shock:

SD supposedly got merged into HD sometime last year but I have done nothing to maintain it since. The resources are all there but run at your own risk. If anyone really wants it though I still have an old standalone version on my drive I can upload.
Somagu

Post by Somagu »

So you're right. My mistake! Still, the least you could do, I think, is add a spawn state for the Phoenix Rod, heh.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”