Hideous Destructor 4.10.0b

Projects that have specifically been abandoned or considered "dead" get moved here, so people will quit bumping them. If your project has wound up here and it should not be, contact a moderator to have it moved back to the land of the living.
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: Hideous Destructor [death to null pointers!!!]

Post by Matt »

Retraux Squid wrote:I've tried to grab Turbo's SMG/SSG zombie sprites and for whatever reason Dropbox seems to not have them hosted anymore (at least from the link on the OP). I'm specifically looking for the SMG-armed zombieman; since SLADE won't let me open hd.pk7, is there any way to still access those?
I'm pretty sure they won't be in hd.pk7 - unless you put them in but then you'd be able to take them out already too, in which case you can just open it with 7zip or file-roller because it's just a renamed 7z file.

I don't think I have them saved to my computer at home but I'll take a look.

Anyone happen to have them uploaded?
RightInfinity

Post by RightInfinity »

Been playing some more, and I have a few game play questions/issues.
I've noticed that the bolt action rifle seems to be horribly weak. It doesn't hit hard at all no matter what it's used against, it doesn't seem to have any particularly outstanding features vs the battle rifle, and on top of it all it jams quite a lot. now that I think about it, 7.76mm overall seems rather anemic, and doesn't feel like anything worthwhile over 4.6mm, except you can reload early if you like.

Pistol and SMG ammo feels rather rare, even when playing on maps filled with nothing but former humans. the amount I usually end up finding is perfectly suited to average pistol-as-a-backup use, and works quite well. it's when you pick up an smg with any intention of using it is when you suddenly find that ammo is a real pain to come across. Would it be possible for the occasional former to drop a pistol mag or the SMG former to drop a full mag alongside the half-filled SMG?
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Been meaning to figure out why the new formula was making the 7mm so weak. Turns out it was the specific numbers I was assigning. -_-

Still can't always reliably one-shot zombies but should be better.

Added a bit more SMG zombie ammo drop. Probably overkill now.
RightInfinity

Re: Hideous Destructor [now with 100% more use-kicks!]

Post by RightInfinity »

Had another crash, tried throwing a grenade after spawning, and somehow my hud was missing at the time.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Spawning as in map start, or respawning after a death in co-op?

What else was going on at the time?
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Vaecrius wrote:
Retraux Squid wrote:I've tried to grab Turbo's SMG/SSG zombie sprites and for whatever reason Dropbox seems to not have them hosted anymore (at least from the link on the OP). I'm specifically looking for the SMG-armed zombieman; since SLADE won't let me open hd.pk7, is there any way to still access those?
I'm pretty sure they won't be in hd.pk7 - unless you put them in but then you'd be able to take them out already too, in which case you can just open it with 7zip or file-roller because it's just a renamed 7z file.

I don't think I have them saved to my computer at home but I'll take a look.

Anyone happen to have them uploaded?
Wait, so if they're not in hd.pk7, what do SMG zombies look like currently? I have previously played HD and I was specifically searching for the stock zombieman with a black SMG (distinct from the normal rifle) that popped up time to time.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Oh, that? It's just a palette swap! :V

Code: Select all

actor ZombieSMGStormtrooper:ZombieStormTrooper //replaces Zombieman
{
	MaxTargetRange 12000
	Translation "58:66=128:136","214:223=141:148","176:191=24:47","16:34=68:79","92:111=5:8"
RightInfinity

Post by RightInfinity »

Vaecrius wrote:Spawning as in map start, or respawning after a death in co-op?

What else was going on at the time?
Respawning in co-op. A trio of archviles had decided to make the map's spawn a nice party for half the map's monsters, so, it was a nice spawn-die loop going on for a while. I tried to drop a nade as I spawned and may have been killed while throwing it or soon after, I'm not sure which. I do remember not having any hud up for a couple of spawns, no matter what screen size setting I tried. the only visible hud elements just before the crash were the grenade throw indicators.
Matt

Post by Matt »

If you mean the little arrows that help you find range, those are actually weapon sprites, so that means there was no HUD at all. I have no idea how that might happen - the respawn checks are a palimpsest of half-baked duct-taping of ZScript, Decorate and ACS right now.

(In other news, I did discover a bug that prevented airburst from working on the grenades.)

EDIT: Okay so I have no idea at all how I could possibly go about replicating this with -host 1. (Or even two instances.)
Might be some bits getting lost in transmission because things are so busy??? I dunno
RightInfinity

Post by RightInfinity »

Ah, awesome. if it happens again i'll try and take note of what we were doing if it comes up (with our badness it probably will)

Had another desync. a shotgunner and a zombie revived in front of a Herp we'd setup on top of a chest high ledge. It fired, and before it killed the zombieman, the game deysnced. Not quite sure of the cause there.

Another desync occurred when one of us killed a baron. Not clear on what else what was going on that could of caused it

Finally, The Robotist Class appears to be randomly crashing (CTD) 9/10 times when starting a new game.

Edit: This time my buddy fired a rocket at a chaingunner
Edit 2: the same crash as pic related happened after getting shot at by a revived corpse. We had used the rocket launcher, but on a different side of the map against totally different enemies
Matt

Post by Matt »

It appears that line has one check that should be the opposite of what I'd written. This commit should address that.

As for the roboticist crashing, does it still happen now? I noticed a crash that always happened when you hit the reset button on the range.

Also, are you guys playing with the lives system?
RightInfinity

Post by RightInfinity »

There's a lives system? Usually it's more on the honour system with us. We'd like to enable one if it's available, but also at the same time have a way of reviving fellow players.

As of the latest update (30/05), it doesn't seem to happen anymore. Neat.

One wish I'd make is the ability to have a way to reload half used magazines and batteries first. When ammo gets low I'd like to at least hold a few full mags for the chaingun in reserve.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Excellent! Glad to know at least there's some progress being made.

Lives system is based on fraglimit. Set fraglimit <100 on co-op and you're eliminated one by one after the lives run out; set fraglimit >100 and the effective limit is that number minus 100, and once you hit it the level immediately ends and restarts. This may be subject to change in the near future, depending on how motivated I am to fix this crash that I keep getting in botmatches but you don't seem to be getting in actual multiplayer; if it's not actually impeding it I might do the release first.

Re: ammo, that's one of the major overhauls I refuse to undertake at this point until I've got a stable version that works with 3.0.1.
RightInfinity

Post by RightInfinity »

Neat. We'll try that out then soon. And understandable that you want to quash bugs at the moment.

One thing I do want to note: We've discovered that we're having some serious issues with maps that require any sort of semi-precise platforming, especially in multiplayer where lag is causes players to visually 'teleport' to the end of the jumps, not leaving much time to react at all to thin platforms. It gets especially worse where jumping is expected by the map maker, as the gaps can sometimes lead to being unable to even reach the next platform before splattering in a pit

Edit: where would one stick a wad's custom actor names to be replaced with the HD monsters?
Matt

Post by Matt »

If you mean something like replacing a map's dark imps with HD's mage imps, I suppose you could have a zscript.txt with

Code: Select all

class BigDarkImp:MageImp replaces DarkImp{}
and load that after HD and the other map.

As for platforming... I dunno if that even can be fixed. :/ I've never not had such issues playing with other people online!
EDIT: I'm reminded that HD is significantly worse than vanilla because the player's speed changes so much more often and the movement prediction can't keep up. I will see to possibly adding an option that clamps the player's movement to 3 possible speeds (or more depending on how I implement crouch).

EDIT: Now that HD officially 1 version behind the latest GZDoom release, I've edited the OP. In the future I plan on continuing to develop for the latest GZDoom release rather than the latest development version, unless one comes up with something that I'm super urgently dying to add or something.

Return to “Abandoned/Dead Projects”