[Release] Cult's Arsenal v1.7 - A Heretic Weapons mod

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Henix_Aurorus
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[Release] Cult's Arsenal v1.7 - A Heretic Weapons mod

Post by Henix_Aurorus »

I don't have a fancy logo for this, or really fancy anything for this, largely because this is a pretty small mod I assembled in like three days, but I figured I'd go ahead and release it in case anyone else is interested.

So, what is Cult's Arsenal? Well, really, it's quite simple. One of my biggest (and only) complaints about Heretic's weaponset is the Ethereal Crossbow has never made any single bit of sense to me. If it was a regular bow I probably wouldn't have any qualms about it, but it makes no sense to me for a crossbow to function as an equivalent to the shotgun. So rather than just complaining about it, I decided, "what the hell, let's fix it! And while I'm at it, I'll tweak some other stuff too." And that's exactly what I did.

Download
Current Version: v1.7

Designed to be run on ZDoom 2.8.1 or its GZDoom equivalent; however, the mod does not currently have an updated GLDEFS lump, so the replaced projectiles WILL NOT have dynamic lights in OpenGL.
This mod is not compatible with any Heretic mod that modifies ammunition pickups or weapons, or uses TID 879, and is additionally not compatible with any version of Zandronum earlier than 3.0, due to the use of Named Scripts.

Screenshots here!
Spoiler: What Cult's Arsenal Does
Spoiler: FAQ
Spoiler: Old versions
That should do it. Any feedback, suggestions, hate mail, or otherwise is welcome.
Last edited by Henix_Aurorus on Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RUNSABER

Re: [Heretic][Release] Cult's Arsenal - A Heretic Weapons mo

Post by RUNSABER »

Thank you for this modification! I gave it a whip n' whirl in the good ole Serpent Rider incident, and E1M1-M2 went smoothly! The medium drops came in handy with frequent use of the Golden Wand, while the projectile addition was a NICE touch!! Great job on it, along with it's powered up version. It opts you to get a little close for maximum damage output. The staff is more reliable, responsive and was actually a staple for the first half of E1M1. The character is a vigilant fighter with the ruse of an old man frantically batting away the denizens of darkness with his trust staff! This puppy powered up is even more formidable and does it's job in close-quarter situations. While I didn't get the new Crossbow on the first run, I was prized with the Arbalest instead.. This thing is a powerhouse; again in close-quarter elbow-to-knee combat it will prove worthy in a pinch and to hammer down on HP-abundant adversaries. From a distance, all shall fall under it's might. 3 arrows for the ride puts it in the same tier of the Super Shotgun of Doom. If anyone is looking for a good mod that focuses on balance and makes subjective improvements to the game that have a satisfying overall experience throughout the journey - this is the mod for you. Give it a go in Heretic Treasure Chest, or if you're in for an awakening, give Hordes of Chaos a shot!
Henix_Aurorus

Re: [Heretic][Release] Cult's Arsenal - A Heretic Weapons mo

Post by Henix_Aurorus »

RUNSABER wrote:Thank you for this modification! I gave it a whip n' whirl in the good ole Serpent Rider incident, and E1M1-M2 went smoothly! The medium drops came in handy with frequent use of the Golden Wand, while the projectile addition was a NICE touch!! Great job on it, along with it's powered up version. It opts you to get a little close for maximum damage output. The staff is more reliable, responsive and was actually a staple for the first half of E1M1. The character is a vigilant fighter with the ruse of an old man frantically batting away the denizens of darkness with his trust staff! This puppy powered up is even more formidable and does it's job in close-quarter situations. While I didn't get the new Crossbow on the first run, I was prized with the Arbalest instead.. This thing is a powerhouse; again in close-quarter elbow-to-knee combat it will prove worthy in a pinch and to hammer down on HP-abundant adversaries. From a distance, all shall fall under it's might. 3 arrows for the ride puts it in the same tier of the Super Shotgun of Doom. If anyone is looking for a good mod that focuses on balance and makes subjective improvements to the game that have a satisfying overall experience throughout the journey - this is the mod for you. Give it a go in Heretic Treasure Chest, or if you're in for an awakening, give Hordes of Chaos a shot!
Thanks for the feedback!

To be honest, I was a little skeptical about the changes I made to the wand, but I'm glad to hear it's good. As for the staff, pretty much my number one complaint about it was how laughably slow the animation was, so I'm definitely happy to hear my tweaks made it more usable. And all I did was cut the frame durations in half. ^_^;

And yeah, I need to work on the whole "getting the Arbalest" thing. Problem is I'm not sure how to handle it in a way that won't break non-traditional Heretic map packs, but I might look into trying some ACS shenanigans to make it work.
Henix_Aurorus

Re: [Release] Cult's Arsenal v1.5 - A Heretic Weapons mod

Post by Henix_Aurorus »

So, after more than 10 months of this mod collecting dust, I've finally updated it again! I was in the mood tonight, so five hours later we have what I consider a partial update. This update includes the following:
  • Slightly increased speed on the Wand's projectiles so hitting things is a little easier.
  • Increased the speeds of the Phoenix Rod's projectiles- namely, the untomed projectile by 25%, and the tomed projectile by a whopping 100%; the latter's a temporary measure to make a tomed Phoenix Rod actually useful, as I'll be completely replacing that functionality in the next version.
  • Addressed the issue of Arbalest spawning; thanks to some ACS trickery, the weapon now will no longer spawn on the first map, and will instead spawn with a 33% chance on any following map. Additionally, you can set CA_ArbalestSpawnable to 1 if you want it to enter the spawn pool immediately.
  • As a direct consequence of the above change, however, the mod is no longer compatible with Zandronum 2.x.
I only consider this a partial update (if anything, part 1 of a bigger update), hence the .5. The following version, v2, will include a good pile of other stuff, including a couple extra health pickups, a replacement for the Firemace, a replacement for the Phoenix Rod's tomed attack, proper GLDEFS, and potentially an update for the Hellstaff.

Enjoy. And/or don't and proceed to yell at me.
Henix_Aurorus

Re: [Release] Cult's Arsenal v1.5 - A Heretic Weapons mod

Post by Henix_Aurorus »

Go figure, almost 13 months later I come back with a partial update. This update is fairly minor, but does fundamentally alter the way the Arbalest spawns, as well as some balancing things regarding the mid-sized ammo pickups. In a nutshell:

- After taking some notes from how MetaDoom handles it, I updated the Arbalest spawning again. It still can spawn in the first level from Crossbows that are spawned in after loading, but now is no longer dependent on CVAR shenanigans. Let me know if this thing's still acting flaky- I think I have it functioning completely now, but it did act up before.
- The Wand's projectiles were sped up and got trails, since it occurred to me that they went from hitscans to slow projectiles that were considerably more difficult to hit with.
- I noticed the Crossbow and Arbalest have an extreme tendency towards extremely high damage, so I nerfed their maximum damage a bit. I also altered their powered forms, which don't have much higher maximum damage, but do more damage on average due to a higher minimum damage.
- Mid-sized ammo pickups have also been nerfed a bit, as they were a touch too prevalent in the earlygame.
- The staff was slowed down a bit with the addition of a 'pulling back' frame. Doesn't impact its DPS too much, as it's mainly an aesthetic change rather than a balance one; single hits are still the same speed.

This time for real, the Mace is getting redone for 2.0. I've decided to scrap the original Apotheosis plan, and will instead be giving the Firemace a rather hefty overhaul instead. The Dragon Claw will also be modified, with similar treatment to the Wand, and I'll potentially upgrade the Phoenix powered form too.

P.S. I fixed the OP's broken download links.
thewolfman00001

Re: [Release] Cult's Arsenal v1.7 - A Heretic Weapons mod

Post by thewolfman00001 »

I tried loading up this mod with the latest versions of ZDoom and GZDoom And got an error message stating "Script error, "CultsArsenal_v1.7.pk3:actors/wand.txt" line 22: Sprite names must be exactly 4 characters" What is this about? is there any way I can troubleshoot this issue? Cult's Arsenal looks like a amazing mod and I don't wanna miss out

Return to “Gameplay Mods”