Hexen: Walpurgis [0.83- "Dark Foundations"]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: Hexen: Walpurgis [0.82- "The Sound of Carnage"]

Postby eharper256 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:49 am

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Also, very minor thing: When starting the game and selecting a random character, difficulty 1 misspells Korax as "Korvax."

Looking forward to the weapon upgrade features, stay safe during lockdown!

Yarp, I have to be extra-paranoid as I'm a kidney transplant patient on immuno-suppressants; I'm basically only leaving to buy shopping; and that's begrudgingly due to douchbags booking up grocery deliveries for two weeks solid.

Haha; now its pointed out; I kinda like the mispelling. He's so unimportant to the player at that difficulty that they're mispelling his name. :lol:
eharper256

Re: Hexen: Walpurgis [0.83- "Dark Foundations"]

Postby eharper256 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:13 am

0.83: Dark Foundations
Just another bugfix release for now; though you can use the console to test the first couple of upgrades if you want.

Code: Select allExpand view
+New!:   Lots of base code added ready for the weapon upgrade system. Right now,
      you can test the Fist's Primary and the Axe's Secondary, if you use the
      console to "give whetstone". These are the only ones that actually
      provide an upgrade right now, and the system is not yet complete, hence
      you cannot find the upgrade items as drops at the moment.
+New!:   One new wall-hit sound effect.
+Tweak:   Algor Secondary Ice Spears given +10% damage and +20% explosion radius
      to more justify their charge time.
+Fixed:   Accidently gave a Nodelay flag to the fist puff which did nothing, fixed.
+Fixed: The Vorpal Axe's Secondary Fire, if it activated its code for using its
      tight-space version, would charge you twice for its mana cost! Fixed.
+Fixed: Standing next to your Glacial Spike Wall (Algor Tertiary) will no longer
      damage you for small amounts, so you can use them for limited cover as
      well as inhibiting barriers. It will still hit you pretty hard if you
      try to detonate it standing next to it (shattering ice blocks don't have
      friend foe recongnition I'm afraid XD ) of course.
+Fixed: Myrmidon Grappling Hook would dissappear and break the animation when
      it hit low hanging sky sectors (i.e. E3M1 in Doom) as the 'weapon'
      always expects it to return and this wasn't covered in its usual crash
      logic. It is now fixed.

Get it here: https://mega.nz/#!8IFTiSjR!RK1LbwKFxjaAMaRfuzFcCX-HMDsB-oXZZ0oq9m9wIxI
eharper256

Postby eharper256 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:24 am

Oh, and here's my Test-Map, which is a modified version of HexArcana's:
https://mega.nz/#!8B1FAZAC!_1BV9jX-Gdca ... MGvwHpslyk
Figured that some may like to be able to have access to it to easily test the weapons before they start play. And you know, having a place to just freely slaughter Ettins with Quietus for fun. I do just that sometimes. :twisted:
eharper256

Postby SallazarSpellcaster » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:11 am

Tried the two available weapon upgrades, they're fun!

They work quite well, as they increase functionality without drastically altering the feel of the weapon - the enhanced vorpal slash was especially useful once unlocked.

Do you plan on making the axe's glow purple too, to match the slash?
SallazarSpellcaster

Postby eharper256 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:54 am

SallazarSpellcaster wrote:Tried the two available weapon upgrades, they're fun!

They work quite well, as they increase functionality without drastically altering the feel of the weapon - the enhanced vorpal slash was especially useful once unlocked.

Do you plan on making the axe's glow purple too, to match the slash?

Yes, though perhaps not in the initial upgrades release (which will probably be 0.85 or 0.86). I may well add Trailblazer type visible sprites effects to each upgrade gradually (i.e. the Axe will look new rather than notched, the Mage will gain extra bracelet parts or tattoos), though that's alot of extra sprite and code work.

-----

In other news: Thought I needed some new footage of the most recent Walpurgis version; so here I am in Wastelands of Hub II in the original Hexen wad:

Juggling Algor, Fulgur, and Vis to best effect here, which you can really start to do in Hub II (whereas all the tight spaces of the Seven Portals pretty much ask you to focus on Algor use, don't they?).
eharper256

Postby Blackgrowl » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:16 am

Damn, I really like what you did with the Fists' upgrades. It not only makes them stronger, it makes them STUN enemies!
I also really love that visual effect, which is pretty much an "electric shock thunder" of shorts, that's how I would see the Warrior if he was an Elemental; Thunder; fast, sudden and incredibly dangerous.

eharper256 wrote:
SallazarSpellcaster wrote:I may well add Trailblazer type visible sprites effects to each upgrade gradually (i.e. the Axe will look new rather than notched, the Mage will gain extra bracelet parts or tattoos), though that's alot of extra sprite and code work.

It's still worth it though!
One of the reasons I love Trailblazer so much is the fact that visuals change when I upgrade a weapon. Not just visuals, sometimes even the visual FEEL of it (like the Chrome Shotgun, I'm sure you understand).

When you get the time for a Final RC, you should plan up on the visual changes for upgrades. For now, you oughta worry about coding non-stop.
Blackgrowl

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby eharper256 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:19 am

Blackgrowl wrote:Damn, I really like what you did with the Fists' upgrades. It not only makes them stronger, it makes them STUN enemies!
I also really love that visual effect, which is pretty much an "electric shock thunder" of shorts, that's how I would see the Warrior if he was an Elemental; Thunder; fast, sudden and incredibly dangerous.

Thanks; despite it being fairly simple; its actually a stack of new things in there. :shock:

Blackgrowl wrote:It's still worth it though!
One of the reasons I love Trailblazer so much is the fact that visuals change when I upgrade a weapon. Not just visuals, sometimes even the visual FEEL of it (like the Chrome Shotgun, I'm sure you understand).

When you get the time for a Final RC, you should plan up on the visual changes for upgrades. For now, you oughta worry about coding non-stop.

For sure; I do want to do it; Trailblazer is one of my favourites. Chrome Justice upgraded is nearly always my second upgrade after the FMG as well; so I understand. :lol:
eharper256

Previous

Return to Gameplay Mods