DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.5] [MP-B7.3]

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NickDoom

Re: DoomRL Arsenal - [1.1.2] [MP-B7.2]

Post by NickDoom »

On high levels with Adaptive, most guns usually have Nano already (or they're Nuclear). But some mosters are partially or fully immune to some damage types, so when you have Mother-in-Law, it's also better to have AMR with 50 bullets and Zeus with 75 cells than to have Zeus with 600 cells and no powerful rifle. The Hungry usually forces to have a dedicated weapon and armor set against them (BTW try 1monster challenge wad with Nazi Replacer, Adaptive with starting 40 and everything other „Danger“, „Danger“ etc. MAP31 turns into awesome botmatch, and The Hungry is also a challenging task).

A semi-off-topic question: you seem to hit the limit of DECORATE abilities with this mod. What do you think is better: evolve DECORATE further or move the whole engine (except graph. rendering) to PicoC or QuakeC, allowing to write literally everything without complicated workaround? I'm not going to write „PicoC ZDoom“ right now, I'm just asking.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

NickDoom wrote:Why 1.1.2 is that slow?
You seem to be the only person with this issue. Nothing major has changed at all.
NickDoom wrote:If you're ok with the idea cacodemons are egg-layng, you can add another Lost Soul replacement.
No.
NickDoom wrote:Another idea: a backpack reducing ammo capacity to ¼ but allowing to carry 1 more weapon (dropping this backpack automatically drops current weapon).
No.
NickDoom wrote:A semi-off-topic question: you seem to hit the limit of DECORATE abilities with this mod. What do you think is better: evolve DECORATE further or move the whole engine (except graph. rendering) to PicoC or QuakeC, allowing to write literally everything without complicated workaround? I'm not going to write „PicoC ZDoom“ right now, I'm just asking.
Neither.
Decorate is officially deprecated and won't be updated, and moving to another engine is just pointless; this is a Doom mod, not a Quake mod.
I rarely have issues working here, and I genuinely do not see workarounds as a problem anymore.
Also, you seem to have forgotten about ACS; the combination of that and Decorate is massive.
Machine-Reaper wrote:why not have a class that can carry more weapons and ammo then others?
(sort of like a Mule trait)
No. The weapon limit will not change.
Machine-Reaper

Post by Machine-Reaper »

Yholl wrote:No. The weapon limit will not change.
just a suggestion milday~
fakemai
Graphics Processor: Intel (Legacy GZDoom)

Post by fakemai »

I won't lie, it's crossed my mind multiple times how this would look rewritten in ZScript or possibly just from the ground up. As it is it's painfully dense and ugly code and looks like hell to just maintain, and for reasons I have to suspect partly inherent in DECORATE. On a system like mine, any scripting inefficiencies show up front-centre, chiefly on even certain vanilla maps as I kill off the enemies it gradually gets laggy. Turning off rarity beams helps as I mentioned but it's not the only thing.

Barring a DRLLite type thing, are there any profiling options in (G)ZDoom for identifying where potential bottlenecks are? It's possible some are actually in LDL or in the monster pack but I would like to try squashing any for my own benefit.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Most of the debugging tools you might get some use out of are in the stat command - just type it by itself and it should tell you what kinds of stats you can display.
fakemai

Post by fakemai »

That at least ruled out a couple of things but doesn't narrow down beyond "non-ACS scripts". What did was "profilethinkers".
- Load Maps Of Chaos Overkill, DRLA, DRLM.
- Standard difficulty, warp to MAP10.
- "stat vm"
Let the # of calls average out, DRLA is significantly higher fresh map than any other mod I've tested but that's flat.
- "kill monsters"
This also kills the game on my anemic system but let the VM stats average out and it'll be dramatically higher. Now run "profilethinkers 7" a few times and it shows where the main issues are, "remove <class>" on them gradually unkills the game.
- RL<monster> have significant background processing after death and it adds up, absolute worst on the zombie monsters and Imps, and the former are even worse because of the next two.
- RLRarityBeamStandardUniversal which still have significant scripting even if they are turned off. If they are then these easily dominate. I'm inclined to gut the feature entirely on my end.
- RL<weaponpickup> is comparatively minor but also adds up on certain map types due to monster drops.
Unfortunately I don't know why they're doing that but I think dead monsters is a questionable case, especially since they do not cripple the game on just being woken (thanks abort_m GunShotGun). Same for weapon pick-ups.
BCS7

Post by BCS7 »

Hello. Im trying to run DRL with DoomRPG, and I get this error, when trying to start game via launcher, with DoomRL Arsenal and Monster selected, I'm using GZDoom 2.1.1
https://imgur.com/a/0A2NA3x
And launcher looks like that
https://imgur.com/a/w7tvs3c

I can normally run DoomRL and DoomRPG itself. Thanks for any help :)
worldendDominator

Post by worldendDominator »

Yholl, have you considered using anonymous functions in your items? That could probably condense and clarify the code quite a bit. I can try and rewrite something if you want an example.
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

I don't remember if I suggested that already but did you seen Graveyard/DTR? Maybe something of that zoo is useful here (I like PE with a pair of SMGs and Green Beret). Everything is however obsolete, because it's DL+Dehacked, not Decorate.
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

Also, Thompson + B + B = Drum Thompson?
retronutcase

Post by retronutcase »

NickDoom wrote:Also, Thompson + B + B = Drum Thompson?
Wouldn't really work, BB is already designated as the "Heavy" Assembly for shotguns and the like.
Yholl

Post by Yholl »

fakemai wrote:Unfortunately I don't know why they're doing that but I think dead monsters is a questionable case, especially since they do not cripple the game on just being woken (thanks abort_m GunShotGun). Same for weapon pick-ups.
Mmm, bit of an oversight on my part, that's part of the Guncaster compat doing that, I imagine. I can easily resolve that.

I gotta say though, don't expect me to be rewriting huge portions of the mod to accomodate whatever toaster you appear to be running this on.
worldendDominator wrote:Yholl, have you considered using anonymous functions in your items? That could probably condense and clarify the code quite a bit. I can try and rewrite something if you want an example.
No.
Anonymous functions do not exist in the targeted GZDoom version.
NickDoom wrote:Also, Thompson + B + B = Drum Thompson?
BT, actually, but that'll be a fair while off.
retronutcase wrote:Wouldn't really work, BB is already designated as the "Heavy" Assembly for shotguns and the like.
That's fine, the Thompson isn't a shotgun, after all. Combinations can be used more than once, as long as they don't interfere with each other.
fakemai

Post by fakemai »

Yholl wrote:Mmm, bit of an oversight on my part, that's part of the Guncaster compat doing that, I imagine. I can easily resolve that.

I gotta say though, don't expect me to be rewriting huge portions of the mod to accomodate whatever toaster you appear to be running this on.
I try to be mindful of that and only do it if I think it's a legitimate bug at the core. Thanks.
NickDoom

Post by NickDoom »

Are there any maps with big tactical component (like classic Sandy Petersen's maps)? Roguelike gameplay suffers from linear maps a lot (DRLA is OK even with Linear Doom Mock WAD, but having a non-obvious choice between two corridors is way better).

Speaking about Thompson, is it technically impossible to have a chain assembly (Drum Thompson + B + P = High Power Drum Thompson) or it's a question of balance?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Only one assembly per weapon, you can't assemble on top of an assembly because that's not how it worked in DRL itself. But also, the Thompson is a Superior, so it can only take two modpacks in total anyway.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”