Colorful Maps v1.3 - More options !

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Colorful Maps

Post by Redneckerz »

Solid-Head wrote: Are you talking about this ? Never had the chance to try it but it look cool. Though I don't like the fact that must use a script to do it instead of generated on the go. Great work nonetheless.
About Oblige I use Oblige My Doom and slap what I like on it. I also highly recommended Varied Doom too with freshly generated megawad for maximum Rogue experience. I'm not too sure about an official Addon, since you can just load the mod with it anyway, but if there is interest I may look into it. There's some nasty bugs that I would want to clear out before anything though.
That's sadly not what i was talking about, but that's a nifty little thing aswell. It was a pretty add-on too though, if you want, i can look it up but it may require a little time.
Solid-Head

Post by Solid-Head »

stainedofmind wrote:
Spoiler:
You are a saint my man. That was exactly it. I was sure that the numbers were right. Guess I was wrong. I test it a problematic mod and everything seems to work fine now.
First post update with the new version :)
Redneckerz wrote:if you want, i can look it up but it may require a little time.
If you ever find it, plz let me know !
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Solid-Head wrote: If you ever find it, plz let me know !
Found it. Caco's mention of Mikoportal's triggered the memory so i went on. Its a take of Linguica's Linguortal trick. That particular effect only works in PrBoom. Check also the earlier gifs in the Linguortal thread.

Do note that this only works on doom2.exe or Chocodoom most of the time as it requires a modified BSP to do this, so its usefulness is limited. One of the earlier examples in the first page also worked in ZDoom back then.

Still, its a neat effect, but i wager you can achieve similar in ZScript or even DECORATE. (Mid-texture swaps).
NightFright
Spotlight Team

Re: Colorful Maps v1.02

Post by NightFright »

I would like to have just the light color randomizer of this one. Maybe you can add cvars to choose which options you want to use.
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Please consider releasing the music randomizer as a stand alone mod. I've been dying to find a music randomizer that doesn't include it's own music.
As for this mod, the texture version is hilarious but hideous. The no textures version is nice for the most part, I just wish it wouldn't get so dark. Isn't there a way to clamp how low the color values can go? Keeping the numbers above, say, 80/255 would alleviate that.
Solid-Head

Post by Solid-Head »

NightFright wrote:I would like to have just the light color randomizer of this one. Maybe you can add cvars to choose which options you want to use.
By that do you mean without the rest of effect like the dark/bright and fog related ?
Cvar is a great idea but I'm not very familiar with how it work. I'll look into it. Fog and glow would still need to appear at random though, because I don't think fog on all maps would be a great option.
Rowsol wrote:Please consider releasing the music randomizer as a stand alone mod. I've been dying to find a music randomizer that doesn't include it's own music.
As for this mod, the texture version is hilarious but hideous. The no textures version is nice for the most part, I just wish it wouldn't get so dark. Isn't there a way to clamp how low the color values can go? Keeping the numbers above, say, 80/255 would alleviate that.
Why would you want to just randomize vanilla doom 2 soundtrack ? While I'm sure that is possible to do with Jimmy's Jukebox... here I made it for you.

I'm thinking about dropping the texture idea. I think that the solution would be to remove half the textures, but that will also remove a lot of charm to it. Either that or I redo the code to replace each specific textures with a set of similar looking textures. Not too sure what I will do for now.

Is it still too dark ? I up the color notch by 1/4 and remove the darken script almost completely. I use standard lighting mod and don't really need a flashlight anymore. I use different scripts for colors increment but the lowest is 25/75. I can up that a bit, but combine with the brighten script, things would start to be too bright no ?
Rowsol

Post by Rowsol »

Solid-Head wrote:here I made it for you.
Thank you!
Edit: I didn't take into account songs repeating in one playthrough, I guess the jukebox would be better in this regard.
Solid-Head wrote: Is it still too dark ? I up the color notch by 1/4 and remove the darken script almost completely. I use standard lighting mod and don't really need a flashlight anymore. I use different scripts for colors increment but the lowest is 25/75. I can up that a bit, but combine with the brighten script, things would start to be too bright no ?
I use bright sector lighting and it's usually fine but occasionally it's quite dark.
Solid-Head

Post by Solid-Head »

Rowsol wrote:
Solid-Head wrote:here I made it for you.
Thank you!
Edit: I didn't take into account songs repeating in one playthrough, I guess the jukebox would be better in this regard.
I use bright sector lighting and it's usually fine but occasionally it's quite dark.
No problem, but yeah Jukebox will suit your need better.

If its still too dark then I'll remove the darken script completely and see how it goes. Also turns out that it take like 15 minutes to learn how CVAR work and are implemented. Here you go NightFright !
I'll update the first post with the new version 1.1 !

Not too sure if there is other map effects that I could implement in the future. What do you guys would like to see ?
MrRumbleRoses

Re: Colorful Maps v1.1 - Now with CVAR !

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

i will say that, this mod in quite interesting. gives me ideas specially to pile on randomizers. if there was 1 suggestion i could give. it could probably be to have an option to have it set to a certain game. like Doom 1 or Doom II. that way you don't get any messages about not finding certain things
theroguemonk
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by theroguemonk »

now with cars LMAO ... doom gta
Meyers07

Post by Meyers07 »

Oh man, this reminds me, and brings me back to a The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion mod "Diverse Dungeons" that adds tints and fog effects to make almost every dungeon feels different.
Solid-Head

Post by Solid-Head »

MrRumbleRoses wrote: if there was 1 suggestion i could give. it could probably be to have an option to have it set to a certain game. like Doom 1 or Doom II. that way you don't get any messages about not finding certain things
My ultimate plan is to make this work with wadsmoosh at some point, but just thinking about redoing textures randomization for any wad make my carpal tunnel cry. Thanks for the feedback though.
theroguemonk wrote:now with cars LMAO ... doom gta
SHHHH !! Secret project ! 8-)
Spoiler:
Meyers07 wrote:Oh man, this reminds me, and brings me back to a The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion mod "Diverse Dungeons" that adds tints and fog effects to make almost every dungeon feels different.
I remember that mod ! Its always amazing how colors and tone can change the atmosphere so drastically.

Update the main post !!! Now version 1.2 is available. Just some minor tweak and more options for you to play with. Enjoy !

MrRumbleRoses

Re: Colorful Maps v1.2 - Now with CVAR !

Post by MrRumbleRoses »

i don't know how possible it is but. i sort of had a little suggestion for this mod. so far it's music wise but like, i've been playing this with Doom Complete aka Wadsmoosh. and i was like thinking of an option, to where the music can be shuffled to not only Doom II, but Ultimate Doom & even Sigil
Solid-Head

Re: Colorful Maps v1.2 - Now with CVAR !

Post by Solid-Head »

MrRumbleRoses wrote:i don't know how possible it is but. i sort of had a little suggestion for this mod. so far it's music wise but like, i've been playing this with Doom Complete aka Wadsmoosh. and i was like thinking of an option, to where the music can be shuffled to not only Doom II, but Ultimate Doom & even Sigil
Yes, I'll try wadsmoosh compatibility someday. Still not too sure how I will tackle this though.

Version 1.3 is out ! Even more option to play with. Be sure to check the menu before starting.
Have fun !

DaveCooper

Re: Colorful Maps v1.3 - More options !

Post by DaveCooper »

I have a idea for this mod.
Night, Day, Dusk and Dawn mode. So you switch betwen normal cycles of the day.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”