Xim's Star Wars Doom - Updated (MAY/4/2023)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Xim

Re: Xim's Star Wars Doom

Post by Xim »

And another update. Thought I'd get back into making sprites with new weapons, so I made a sprite of the scout trooper with a sniper rife.

Spoiler:
armymen12002003
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows 10
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by armymen12002003 »

Good job so far only thing i have a gripe with is why's there 5 different light saber colors?
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Another round of tweak suggestions after beating all the vanilla Doom maps...

1. Concussion Rifle - Give it a small damage boost, this way the player is more likely to pull this out to kill a group of enemies at close range rather than the Assault Cannon. For some reason smaller enemies were taking hits from this when they shouldn't be, resulting in more shield loss in every engagement. Also I noticed the explosion sound is missing, it normally uses the same explosion sound as the exploding plasma containers (barrels.)

2. Bowcaster - This weapon needs to consume more ammo per shot. I recommend 5 for the alt-fire, and up to 25 for the fully charged shot.

3. DC-15x - In it's current state, this weapon is utterly useless after getting the Bowcaster. I recommend slowing down the ROF and greatly increasing its damage and ammo consumption so that it actually performs like a sniper rifle.

4. Thermal Detonator - The self damage from these things is too high to be useful. In the other games you could throw these at the tap of the mouse and it would barely hurt you when it hit the floor or not at all. It would be much more ideal if their original mechanics were restored.

5. EE-3 - This weapon is pretty much useless in its current state. I really could not find a reason to use this unless I was missing other weapons, pretty much everything else outperforms this. I think a better way to go about keeping this gun around would be to replace the Elite Rifle with it, and give it the same damage output with the added damage bonus against mechs. And maybe allow its projectiles to bounce off of walls as an alt-fire? Then I would see myself using that more. Also it should take priority in slot 3 like the Supershotgun does in Doom 2.

6. Bryar Pistol - The alt-fire needs to consume more ammo, up to 10 would be recommended like the original. Also it would be helpful if the 100% accuracy and previous ROF was restored.

7. FC-1 - This thing doesn't feel very nerfed, it is still 1-shotting most mid-tier enemies with only 1/3 of the payload. I recommend toning it down just a bit more, and bump the alt-fire ammo cost to 15.

8. Repeater Rifle - The spread is a little much on both firing modes and could really use a tightening up to be more useful.

OTHER SUGGESTIONS:

9. For switching modes on some weapons, it would be more ideal to use the reload key instead of the alt-fire button. This way you can free up more space for other things. This would be especially useful for the Thermal Detonators. Instead of having to switch to the Ion Detonators, you can just activate it while holding the Thermals instead. You could also do this for the Lightsaber instead of having to pick and choose the color and discard the rest, plus cycling through them.

10. Faster Weapon Switching - This MOD could really, REALLY, use this.

11. Laser Projectiles - This topic is also kind of a balance issue. The player's lasers often get caught on the environment due to being large, so trying to shoot through tight spaces or over ledges is pretty much impossible (this also breaks some maps.) The enemy on the other hand, their laser projectiles are maybe 1 pixel in diameter and can peg a flea from a mile away. With guns like the Bowcaster, Mortar, Concussion Rifle or Assault Cannon, it makes sense the projectile conflict with the environment, but laser rounds should not. Please have them equal to the enemy or better to remove that unfair advantage.

12. Hotkeys For Items - Another function this MOD could really use. This would also be incredibly useful for the Thermal Detonators and I.M. mines rather than cycling through the weapon category to get to what you need.

13. Shield Booster Drops - I noticed that some enemy was dropping a full shield pack, not sure which one it is but that is very helpful. It would be even more helpful if all mechanical enemies had a small chance to drop a shield booster on death. This would greatly help the delicate survival rating on other map packs.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll consider doing something with the light-saber selection in the future. For now I did a bunch of other stuff.

Valherran I will say that my version of the EE-3 is mostly for fighting droids. If you don't find much use for it, try it on a spider probe and you'll make short work of it. I've even used it to fight all the up to the Phase 3. I also find it's alt-fire is good when fighting probe droids in close quarters.

CHANGE LOG
Spoiler:
Valherran

Post by Valherran »

Valherran I will say that my version of the EE-3 is mostly for fighting droids. If you don't find much use for it, try it on a spider probe and you'll make short work of it. I've even used it to fight all the up to the Phase 3. I also find it's alt-fire is good when fighting probe droids in close quarters.
Hmmm, rethinking on how I use my strats, I do recall not using this mainly cus of how powerful the alt-fire was on the FC-1. I will give it another shot with the new changes, though if the gun is staying the way it is, I would still recommend making it take priority in slot 3. And it would probably be best if the Elite Rifle replaced the E-11 once obtained, cus there is no reason to use the E-11 once you have it.
Xim

Post by Xim »

Added some screenshots to the first post.

So I'm not sure what to do with the Lightsaber selection. To make it so the player can only have one saber at a time, I thought I'd do it by giving the player a dummy item that would prevent them from picking up another one. However, dropping the Lightsaber won't also drop the dummy item so you'd end up being stuck with the first lightsaber you get. I suppose there could be a custom drop function, but that's beyond my abilities.

With the way I have it now the player can still choose their lightsaber color by dropping the colors they don't want. So I'm not sure what else to do. Make six different player classes?

EDIT: Minor update that scales down most of the the player's blaster attacks.

I also tried the "reload" switching, but that made it so you can't use the scroll wheel to change the weapon
armymen12002003

Any chance of having Darth Vader and Boba Fett added to this?
Xim

Post by Xim »

armymen12002003 wrote:Any chance of having Darth Vader and Boba Fett added to this?
Maybe if I can find better sprites. I'm not a fan of any of the sprites of them I found. The Vader sprite I found kind of looks like a paper cut-out and the Boba Fett sprite from Dark Forces is flying only.

Also the theme I'm kind of going for is post ROTJ Legends era stuff, so Vader would be dead (Palpatine comes back as a clone).

EDIT: Actually, I kind of want to make them anyways now. Heheh. Not sure how I should implement them. I guess Vader could be a rarer Reborn and Boba could be a rarer Jet Trooper.
armymen12002003

Xim wrote:
armymen12002003 wrote:Any chance of having Darth Vader and Boba Fett added to this?
Maybe if I can find better sprites. I'm not a fan of any of the sprites of them I found. The Vader sprite I found kind of looks like a paper cut-out and the Boba Fett sprite from Dark Forces is flying only.

Also the theme I'm kind of going for is post ROTJ Legends era stuff, so Vader would be dead (Palpatine comes back as a clone).

EDIT: Actually, I kind of want to make them anyways now. Heheh. Not sure how I should implement them. I guess Vader could be a rarer Reborn and Boba could be a rarer Jet Trooper.
Oh goodie and also any chance of having Duke Nukem cycloids as Easter Egg Enemies to replace the wolfenstein SS?
Liincal999

Post by Liincal999 »

Hi, sorry if i'm not in the right place to ask for that but,
when i try to play the mod on zandronum 3.0 the text box pop this message :
" Execution could not continue.

Script error, "Xim-StarWars.pk3:decorate/other/jawa.txt" line 40:
Invalid state parameter a_spawnprojectile "

Any solution ?

Thanks, and good job ! The mod looks amazing !!!

P.S. Sorry for my bad english
Xim

Post by Xim »

This mod is for GZDoom and QZDoom only. No plans for it running on Zandronum yet, sorry.
Xim

Post by Xim »

New update. Added a handful of new enemies.
Spoiler:
armymen12002003

Nice job a couple things the female officer seems a bit too quiet also would it be possible for increased chance of grabbing the the elite stormtrooper rifle so far I've only picked it up once?
Last edited by armymen12002003 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liincal999

Post by Liincal999 »

@Xim Ok, i'll try with GZDoom, thanks for the answer !
Keep up the good work !
Xim

Post by Xim »

Another update, Boba Fett now has his flamethrower (and other stuff). Also ModDB download is updated.
Spoiler:

Return to “Gameplay Mods”