[WIP] Sun Damage Omen : Version 0.7c

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
dawnbreez

Re: [WIP] Sun Damage Omen : Version 0.5c Alpha Release

Post by dawnbreez »

So, I like that all monsters have 100% pain chance, but I also understand that the player being able to consistently stunlock every boss in the game is kind of overpowered. To that end, I'd recommend some kind of Stun Counter for boss enemies!
Basically:
  • Each boss has a "Pain" state that actually just gives them a Stun inventory item and then jumps back to normal states.
  • After accruing enough Stun, the boss enters a special state that leaves it frozen in pain for a bit, possibly with some kind of fancy particle effect that says "SHOOT ME NOW"
  • After leaving the stunned state, the boss loses all of its Stun and you repeat the cycle.
It's kind of like how Legend of Zelda bosses (since Ocarina of Time) work. You hit the monster enough/in the right places while it's attacking, and then you deal the heavy damage while it's flopped over with its Massive Weak Point exposed.
Bonus points if some weapons are better at giving out Stun than others (i.e., since the shotgun's pellets tend to hit all at once, the monster only goes into pain once per shotgun blast, and so the shotgun isn't very good for stunning the boss).
Matt
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them
Operating System Version (Optional): Debian Bullseye
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Re: [WIP] Sun Damage Omen : Version 0.5c Alpha Release

Post by Matt »

That pain state would still interrupt an attack (or walking or any other animation including another pain state). Still better to go with DamageMobj or making the projectile (or saw puff) give that inventory item (or just doing it right there in ZScript) to whatever it's hitting.
DoukDouk

Re: [WIP] Sun Damage Omen : Version 0.5f Alpha [FLAMETHROWER

Post by DoukDouk »

The boss counter seems really, really fun. I might keep that idea for gigantic bosses, like maybe Cyberdemon or Spider Mastermind.

Version 0.5f (for FLAMETHROWER) has been uploaded! Bask in its solar glory!

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y8i7 ... hWUWM/view

Changelog:
Spoiler:
Playing through with the new kick is a difference between night and day. At first when I added the inverse recoil to the kick, I thought it'd be a great way to boost your speed to an enemy, but now I can see how you can just catapult yourself into a shitty situation. Now it just slows down the player a bit, but it has a much better knockback and doesn't take control away at all, leaving you much less vulnerable. Hope it's better!

The next major updates will be a long and painful wrestling session with ZScript. You may see me wandering the forums like a vagrant begging for change or ZScript assistance.

But, now with this version out, I can finally say I'm satisfied with the weapon balance. All that's left with the weapons is tweaking and tidying up the effects.
SoundOfDarkness wrote:This is GZDoom only?
That's what I've been using and what I recommend. I'm using the developer builds especially.
Last edited by DoukDouk on Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

Here's a preview of that Nailgun I plan on adding.
NGUNA0.PNG
NGUNA0.PNG (14.16 KiB) Viewed 1255 times
DoukDouk

Post by DoukDouk »

That looks awesome! Totally industrial. I love the NIN logo at the base.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

I'm happy to see you're adding a couple more weapons! I always felt like at the least a gameplay mod should have the basic 1-7 Doom weapon roles filled; it always feels weird to missing a plasma rifle or BFG or chaingun or something.

Also the shotgun in particular looks really nice, I don't think I've seen the pump shotgun sprited that way before, it goes really well with the mod aesthetic.
Matt
Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Post by Matt »

Oh, this is much smoother than the last version!

What with the new kick and weaponslots maybe it's a bit too ea--

TNT map03: :)

.............no, it's fine.

Weapon balance definitely feels right for the most part, though perhaps the rockets could do a bit more damage? It's possible to hit a pinky (brownie?) at point blank and for it to survive and continue attacking, and the acceleration makes it noticeably more challenging to land a direct hit at all.

Would like to be able to set lingering fires with the thrower but I assume that's part of the ZScript update!

Seconding Ghost re: shotgun.
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

The solar flamethrower is a thing of beauty, and I look forward to the Nailgun in a future update.
Someone64

Post by Someone64 »

I love how the flamethrower actually throws flames over an arc allowing it to partially keep the long ranged ability of its vanilla counterpart.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

If more weapons are being added, I feel like a hand grenade of some kind would fit, especially if it had a "quick throw" button to go with it.
dawnbreez

Post by dawnbreez »

I get the idea behind changing the kick, but I also liked having a risky attack that gives health but can leave the player open. Maybe a quick-stab with a syringe, bound to the Reload or Zoom keys, that behaves like the old kick?
Chloroxite

Post by Chloroxite »

I enjoy this mod a lot, but I would really prefer if you didn't buff enemies at higher difficulties. The player already has to deal with MORE of them, there is no need for them to be more powerful. Just my thoughts on it.
-Ghost-

Post by -Ghost- »

Chloroxite wrote:I enjoy this mod a lot, but I would really prefer if you didn't buff enemies at higher difficulties. The player already has to deal with MORE of them, there is no need for them to be more powerful. Just my thoughts on it.
I've seen some mods do regular difficulties from HMP-UV, then add a couple extras on with more powerful enemies as well, might be a better way to do it.
DoukDouk

Post by DoukDouk »

Good news! Thanks to ZScript, the hit flashing now occurs regardless of pain state! Check it out here:

https://i.imgur.com/T7wuEmc.mp4

A weird side effect now is that when you use "MDK" or "Kill Monsters" in the console to kill monsters, they no longer make any sort of death sound. They die perfectly fine by conventional means though, so whatever.
-Ghost- wrote:Also the shotgun in particular looks really nice, I don't think I've seen the pump shotgun sprited that way before, it goes really well with the mod aesthetic.
Thank you! I can't take the credit though, that's NMN's work. I think it's my favorite Doom shotgun though. It's so unique and cool and trench gun looking while still being the classic Doom look.
Vaecrius wrote: Weapon balance definitely feels right for the most part, though perhaps the rockets could do a bit more damage? It's possible to hit a pinky (brownie?) at point blank and for it to survive and continue attacking, and the acceleration makes it noticeably more challenging to land a direct hit at all.

Would like to be able to set lingering fires with the thrower but I assume that's part of the ZScript update!
Ah, yes, the rockets are a bit underpowered. I copied the damage formula from Final Doomer's TNT rockets, which go at a LOT faster rate. Rocket damage will be sure to be buffed in the next update.

Ultimately for humanoid enemies I want the flamethrower to cause them to combust upon dying, and I think in the future the flamethrower will absolutely get a shine-job, with lingering damage and all that good stuff. The lingering damage would have to mean that the initial damage would get nerfed a bit, but the lingering flame would cancel it out by dealing constant damage over time.
SiFi270 wrote:If more weapons are being added, I feel like a hand grenade of some kind would fit, especially if it had a "quick throw" button to go with it.
To be honest, I wanted to add a quick grenade button in in the beginning, but I can't seem to find a good item to replace in the vanilla Doom world to have it. Hmm... Could appear in the dedicated levelset. :D
Chloroxite wrote:I enjoy this mod a lot, but I would really prefer if you didn't buff enemies at higher difficulties. The player already has to deal with MORE of them, there is no need for them to be more powerful. Just my thoughts on it.
Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit. I forgot to affect monster health when it came to the damage dished out in the harder difficulties! My apologies.

I recall playing through levels under the UV difficult thinking I was dealing more damage, but it's clear with the damage numbers mod that I wasn't. :| Placebo effect I suppose. Will be taken care of, thanks!
dawnbreez wrote:I get the idea behind changing the kick, but I also liked having a risky attack that gives health but can leave the player open. Maybe a quick-stab with a syringe, bound to the Reload or Zoom keys, that behaves like the old kick?
I'm also a huge fan of high risk/reward in games. A syringe could be a possible Soulsphere/Megasphere replacement, but we'll see in the future. #1 goal is plug-and-play for vanilla Doom levels.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Dual-purpose hand-grenade rockets? :D (fin pins!)

EDIT: Or possibly use cells as "~solar flares~"...
Last edited by Matt on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”