[1/31/2022] Doom Delta v2.5.0! (+ mapping starter kit!)

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Doom Delta v2.0 BETA TEST!

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

I also noticed that HUD messages are not displayed any more - at least when using the Alt.Hud.
Korell

Post by Korell »

Just gave the v2.0 beta (compiled at 5AM) version a try and initially it seemed to work fine, as I played through the first three levels of Doom just fine. However, when I went to the secret exit to the Military Base on Knee Deep in the Dead, the level never loaded and GZDoom just seemed to be stalled. The level music was playing, but the screen never changed. I had to end the GZDoom task to get out of it as I couldn't bring up the console or press the Escape key to trigger the exit prompt. I'm using GZDoom 3.1.0a.
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

The OP hasn't had its weapons section updated with the new weaponry yet.

Otherwise, beta is incredible. The only real snag is with the machine gun guys:
  • - They no longer fire continually, just exclusive five-round bursts.
    - They have a lower rate of fire compared to the player's Machine Gun.
    - They no longer seem to be immune to infighting and have nothing in replacement, meaning that they infight WAY too frequently.
Gifty

Post by Gifty »

This mod is turning into something really special. I'm still not super convinced by the machinegun zombie sprites (maybe this guy would be a better fit? I'm not sure), but literally every other asset in the mod projects this aura of authenticity and Id-ness and that is very hard to do.
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

Gifty wrote:This mod is turning into something really special. I'm still not super convinced by the machinegun zombie sprites (maybe this guy would be a better fit? I'm not sure), but literally every other asset in the mod projects this aura of authenticity and Id-ness and that is very hard to do.
In my personal opinion the machine gun guy would look best with a (cracked?) helmet. Other than that his displayed machine gun and good spriting is excellent for the mod. The heavy carbine guy looks nice, and the heavy carbine itself is goddamn incredible, but the former is too bulky to be a weaker squad-appearing enemy, and the latter is too big and bulky to be a submachine gun.
TheNightATK300

Post by TheNightATK300 »

Korell wrote:Just gave the v2.0 beta (compiled at 5AM) version a try and initially it seemed to work fine, as I played through the first three levels of Doom just fine. However, when I went to the secret exit to the Military Base on Knee Deep in the Dead, the level never loaded and GZDoom just seemed to be stalled. The level music was playing, but the screen never changed. I had to end the GZDoom task to get out of it as I couldn't bring up the console or press the Escape key to trigger the exit prompt. I'm using GZDoom 3.1.0a.
Same error man, except it's a crash for me at the Maps Of Chaos mapset. I'm using GZDoom 3.2.
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

JohnnyTheWolf wrote:I also noticed that HUD messages are not displayed any more - at least when using the Alt.Hud.
Are your referring to pickup messages or HUD messages overall? The first is intentional, but I'm planning on reworking it.
Korell wrote:Just gave the v2.0 beta (compiled at 5AM) version a try and initially it seemed to work fine, as I played through the first three levels of Doom just fine. However, when I went to the secret exit to the Military Base on Knee Deep in the Dead, the level never loaded and GZDoom just seemed to be stalled. The level music was playing, but the screen never changed. I had to end the GZDoom task to get out of it as I couldn't bring up the console or press the Escape key to trigger the exit prompt. I'm using GZDoom 3.1.0a.
TheNightATK300 wrote:Same error man, except it's a crash for me at the Maps Of Chaos mapset. I'm using GZDoom 3.2.
I've tried to recreate both bugs, but I was able to get to Military Base in both situations. Were you guys able to get this to happen again? What settings do you have set in Delta Options?
Retraux Squid wrote:The OP hasn't had its weapons section updated with the new weaponry yet.

Otherwise, beta is incredible. The only real snag is with the machine gun guys:
  • - They no longer fire continually, just exclusive five-round bursts.
    - They have a lower rate of fire compared to the player's Machine Gun.
    - They no longer seem to be immune to infighting and have nothing in replacement, meaning that they infight WAY too frequently.
I've been experimenting with a system where monsters can actually prevent themselves from beginning their firing state if there is an actor in the way of their target, so I'm planning on implementing this system for the machinegunners. Hopefully this'll fix things!
Gifty wrote:This mod is turning into something really special. I'm still not super convinced by the machinegun zombie sprites (maybe this guy would be a better fit? I'm not sure), but literally every other asset in the mod projects this aura of authenticity and Id-ness and that is very hard to do.
I like the machinegunner sprites, but I feel that their silhouette is too similar to the former human. I'm considering making a new set of sprites to fix the silhouette issue while keeping other things intact.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

DrPyspy wrote:Are your referring to pickup messages or HUD messages overall? The first is intentional, but I'm planning on reworking it.
I do not get obituaries either.
DrPyspy wrote:I like the machinegunner sprites, but I feel that their silhouette is too similar to the former human. I'm considering making a new set of sprites to fix the silhouette issue while keeping other things intact.
The only issue I have with the sprite is the haircut: it just looks tacky and out of place. But I suppose they could use a different silhouette indeed.
TheNightATK300

Post by TheNightATK300 »

DrPyspy wrote:I've tried to recreate both bugs, but I was able to get to Military Base in both situations. Were you guys able to get this to happen again? What settings do you have set in Delta Options?
Former Helmet is on, Lost Soul is on Alpha, it's projectile is on Delta.

Mouth piece and minimap are both on.

HUD Style is helmet, bullet casing is on, Alpha Skies is on and Score Items is on. That's all I have.

QUICK EDIT: I guess it worked somehow just fine this time?? I dunno. My HUD when I crash is Status Bar. I guess.

QUICK EDIT 2: Nope, I guess the HUD wasn't the problem. It crashes randomly now.
DrPyspy
Operating System Version (Optional): Windows XP Gangster Edition

Post by DrPyspy »

TheNightATK300 wrote:Former Helmet is on, Lost Soul is on Alpha, it's projectile is on Delta.

Mouth piece and minimap are both on.

HUD Style is helmet, bullet casing is on, Alpha Skies is on and Score Items is on. That's all I have.

QUICK EDIT: I guess it worked somehow just fine this time?? I dunno. My HUD when I crash is Status Bar. I guess.

QUICK EDIT 2: Nope, I guess the HUD wasn't the problem. It crashes randomly now.
Does any type of error show up when it crashes?
Retraux Squid

Post by Retraux Squid »

DrPyspy wrote: I like the machinegunner sprites, but I feel that their silhouette is too similar to the former human. I'm considering making a new set of sprites to fix the silhouette issue while keeping other things intact.
IMO the best thing would be to give them a helmet. Simple and it immediately identifies them from other possessed. You could even go as far as recoloring them a dark greenish and calling them Former Marines.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

But there is already an option to make the basic zombieman wear a helmet. Not sure giving the machinegunner one as well would help differentiate it.
epiccolton26
Location: The depths of space, destroying entire solar systems

Post by epiccolton26 »

Been liking what I've been playing with so far! Loving that 0.5 status bar and new Chaingun!

However, as with any beta, I've noticed some issues, and those are:

1.) The Machine Gunners don't give back a soul when you have the Dark Claw and/or Unmaker on you.

2.) There's no option to play as the regular old Doomguy. Is this an intentional change or has it just not been implemented yet?

3.) The Machine Gun doesn't spew out casings like the Rifle and Chaingun. I assume you're going to add that in later, though.

Otherwise, great beta update! :D

Edit: Added in a 3rd issue that I forgot to mention whilst playing with the mod.
Last edited by epiccolton26 on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korell

Post by Korell »

DrPyspy wrote:
TheNightATK300 wrote:Same error man, except it's a crash for me at the Maps Of Chaos mapset. I'm using GZDoom 3.2.
I've tried to recreate both bugs, but I was able to get to Military Base in both situations. Were you guys able to get this to happen again? What settings do you have set in Delta Options?
Hey, I just retested this by replaying the third level from my autosave, and I created a save file right before the exit to the Military Base secret level. On using the exit the stats page came up as normal, then the music for Military Base loaded up and the game crashed. It didn't stall like it did before, this time it fully crashed with a GZDoom crash report window. The error on window is:

Code: C0000005 (Access Violation - tried to read address 00000195F8AB3B90)
Address: 00007FF6166D0E53

There's nothing in the logfile as on loading up E1M9 it just states:

Code: Select all

═════════════════════════════════

e1m9 - Military Base

welcum to doom 1
So that's two for two now, on trying to reach the Military Base secret level. Oh, and with these crashes, no autosave for the start of the level was created.

All of my Doom Delta settings are at the default as I've not changed any of them. I am using 1680x1050 (16:10) with the default helmet HUD, the retail Former Human and Lost Soul sprites and the Lost Soul Delta attack.

EDIT: And on reloading my save from right before the secret level exit, this time it worked and Military Base loaded.
JohnnyTheWolf

Post by JohnnyTheWolf »

Is the only difference between the Machine Gun and the Chaingun the fire rate?

Also, really odd issue I encountered while playing KevvyLava's excellent Knee-Deep In The Dead 2.0 mapset: MAP06 is supposed to have 8 secrets but when I play it with Doom Delta the count increases to 9.

Return to “Gameplay Mods”