High Noon Drifter v1.2 - Between God, the Devil, and a .500

Projects that alter game functions but do not include new maps belong here.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
TerminusEst13

Re: High Noon Drifter v1 - Oops, I slipped.

Post by TerminusEst13 »

Cryomundus wrote:Would you be able to have it as a toggle for the minimalist hud, kinda like how you have the M, I, and S?
Might as well give folks the option of having it, at least.
I'm not against it! But cursory attempts seem like it would take a bit more work than I expected to do, so unless I'm gravely misunderstanding things and it's actually easy it'll be something I do if/when I convert the HUD to ZScript to figure out how that all works.
I admit it's terribly selfish of me, but I'd hate to rewrite a portion of the HUD only to need to rewrite it all into ZScript again. Sorry!
JohnnyTheWolf wrote:Also, would it be possible to add an option to make the Revolver use bullets?
This has been a surprisingly popular request, so I'll try for it.
It'd require rejuggling the ammo a little bit, given how you don't actually start with any bullets. But I guess worst-case scenario is that I'll just have the player spawn with, like, 40 or 50 bullets.
DoomRater wrote:So I started a Hexen game with this weaponset. Mmm, pistols and whips only. Despite that it's been a blast!
Even if it's not terribly compatible at all at the moment, I've gotta say it's rather fun to go through Hexen for a little bit. It fits the "tone" rather nicely.
I remember an old old old mod attempt WildWeasel did of a modern archaeologist running through Hexen with a revolver. It was woefully unfinished but fun to play. This kind of reminds me of that.
Overlord

Post by Overlord »

>cowboy mod
>error 404 winchester not found
but oh the whip is amazing :wub:
Captain J

Location: An ancient Escape Shuttle(No longer active here anymore)

Post by Captain J »

Butt still, the shotgun kinda looks like Winchester 1897 with lever action mechanism. Roooight?
xenoxols
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by xenoxols »

If I hadn't been looking for the lever I would have assumed that the shotgun was a poorly animated pump action. A more easily fixable problem is that the bow is on 0 while there are no slot 8 or 9 weapons. You should change it to 8. Also, the revolver feels really unresponsive, I think it's because there is a delay between when you click and when the gun fires when fanning. But still, this is pretty cool and I commend you for finishing your mod when mine is taking forever.
Dr_Cosmobyte

Post by Dr_Cosmobyte »

Overlord wrote:>cowboy mod
The whip isn't amazing. It is SATISFYING.

I use it more than the weaponry itself. And i love those weapons.
YukesVonFaust

Post by YukesVonFaust »

GAA1992 wrote:
Overlord wrote:>cowboy mod
The whip isn't amazing. It is SATISFYING.

I use it more than the weaponry itself. And i love those weapons.
It can even deflect a FREAKING ROCKET
this is godly on so many levels thanks to zscript
i played it too and it's nice
DoomRater
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by DoomRater »

Boomerang still seems more defensive especially with the slow throw being an even bigger area denial weapon. The dang thing can block hitscans! And while the boomerang is out you can still whip it good.
Baratus
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Baratus »

Term, I can't tell you how much fun and enjoyment I've gotten out of this mod. I could barely hold on to wait for public release by the time the private beta had gone out, and I've been mainlining it released and have been playing it with every levelset I can think of, from the ones you listed in the screenshots (thematically appropriate ones such as Fistful of Doom and early Scythe 2) to blazing through most of DUMP 2.

This mod is amazing. The weapons feel incredibly good to use and every shot fired feels like hitting a demon in the face with a truck, I have not felt such a kick to the weapons in any other mod that I can think of. The gameplay doesn't introduce many new mechanics, although it does have plenty of nice surprises. It's just really well made and polished almost to a flawless shine.

It never ceases to impress me that you keep turning out mods that do something different each time but still keep the amazingly good quality and polish. They feel like entirely new games rather than just mods.

You deserve a medal. You set the bar for all ZDoom modders out there.
mentha

Post by mentha »

i absolutely love the slide mechanic in this. it feels so good. its wonderful.

its great when used with slow strong weapons like the martinez. its great when you need to get across a room behind a pillar before the arch vile explodes you. its great when you just plain don't want to die. dying is fun and all but not dying because you timed a slide right is even better!
Gideon020

Post by Gideon020 »

Primary complaint so far is that it's impossible to access the options for custom monsters like Bratwurst or gameplay modifiers like Legendoom Lite.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

Is there any way of interrupting the shotgun reload? Sometimes reloading ten shells is a long dang time.
Baratus
Preferred Pronouns: They/Them

Post by Baratus »

Gollgagh wrote:Is there any way of interrupting the shotgun reload? Sometimes reloading ten shells is a long dang time.
You can if you mash the fire button, you can cancel it after just one shell if you do it fast enough.
Overlord

Post by Overlord »

Gideon020 wrote:Primary complaint so far is that it's impossible to access the options for custom monsters like Bratwurst or gameplay modifiers like Legendoom Lite.
That's the fault of gzdoom, not him

edit: can be fixed removing the "custom" optionsmenu and adding

Code: Select all

AddOptionMenu "OptionsMenu" {
	StaticText " "
	Submenu "blabla Options", "blablaSettings"
}
Last edited by Overlord on Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gollgagh

Post by Gollgagh »

Baratus wrote:
Gollgagh wrote:Is there any way of interrupting the shotgun reload? Sometimes reloading ten shells is a long dang time.
You can if you mash the fire button, you can cancel it after just one shell if you do it fast enough.
So you can; don't I look silly!
robocop

Post by robocop »

I saw an early video where the drifter threw grenades. Wouldn't TNT ala BLOOD be more thematically appropriate?

Return to “Gameplay Mods”