Ultimate Torment & Torture (New Screens p.26)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Postby Tormentor667 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:39 pm

After some thoughts and also comments from Vader while testing UTNT I started to completely redesign MAP03 of TNT Episode 4, just as a little side note that ensures that this beast will take yet another "few days" ;) Beyond I also fixed some other problems I had with forcing monsters to spawn at certain places, thx again to Nash for providing me the perfect solution for thix :) All in all, progress runs quite well, my second ZDCC map is almost finished and I really can't wait to unleash my latest creations ;) CC3 will be the first btw *g* *advertises* Screenshots coming soon.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Amuscaria » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:57 pm

Looks sweet. Cant wait to play this. Those gradient lighting is expeciall cool.
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom

Postby Tormentor667 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:11 pm

Big Fat Update on Torment & Torture Episode 4 - Final Map
Yeah, finally some news again and something you won't have expected maybe. Although I already was about 95% finished with TNT04 MAP3 (the final one), I completely removed it and started again from scratch. Some of you might ask now "What the fuck?! Why? This makes UTNT taking even longer!!!" but this decision (although it might take longer now) was a very good solution now. I was never that pleased with how the final map turned out and after Vader tested my latest Alpha build of UTNT and said exactly the same what I thought about the map, it was time for me to do something about it. The second and first map always stood out of the crowd of TNT maps, so epic and atmospheric they have been. The third map though was a complete let down in comparisation to the other ones, boring fights, a broing setting... nothing final-worthy. This has changed now with the map I am working on right now and which is about 30% finished!

Screenshots

Dimensions
X-Width ~ 14.000 units
Y-Width ~ 14.000 units
Z-Height ~ 7.000 units

Explanation
The new third map is the huge mountain you have already seen from several different screenshots and your aim is to climb this beast up, enter the final cavern area at the peak and destroy "The Source" and I swear, you won't ever get something larger and more evil to see in a Doom wad (well, at least I try to create something like that!) Expect hard and evil T667 battles, lots of ambush, nasty traps, simply a very hard challenge in this last installment of the TNT series! ;)

What about the old Map?
I will include this at well... expect a little... secret... alternate ending... ;)[/b]
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby Vader » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:30 pm

yeah, that looks very promising... definitely an improvement if you ask me :)
Vader
Mandroid ginger Ninja

Postby Kirby » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:32 pm

Vader wrote:yeah, that looks very promising... definitely an improvement if you ask me :)
Kirby
Soon to be chastized

Postby Unknown_Assassin » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:15 pm

Tormentor667 wrote:Dimensions
X-Width ~ 14.000 units
Y-Width ~ 14.000 units
Z-Height ~ 7.000 units

Is that going to remain the same when the map is 100% finished?
Unknown_Assassin
Bow down to the Protoss Race!!

Postby skadoomer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:23 pm

ARG! the lava! Its tiling hurts my eyes!
skadoomer

Postby Risen » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:28 pm

Are those supposed to be stars? If so, the stretching on the textures doesn't work at all...

It's an otherwise promising set of screenshots.
Risen

Postby Shadelight » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:41 pm

Vader and Kirby wrote:yeah, that looks very promising... definitely an improvement if you ask me :)
Shadelight
You must construct additional lumber.

Discord: Shadelight#4920

Postby Tormentor667 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:23 pm

@Risen - Stars that are moving (WARP) in a very strange way, looks pretty cool ingame ;)

@Vader/Kirb/Blazing - Glad to hear that, thx guys, was a buttload of work ;)

@skadoomer - Not that bad ingame ;)

@Assassin - Yes. This one is fucking large and I am sure some persons with weaker machines will have trouble :( Need to test it yet.
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby The NUtcracker » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:05 pm

I, on pg20 wrote:I am looking forward to this!
The NUtcracker
I refuse to create a custom title.

Postby Amuscaria » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:48 pm

Woo, nice atmosphere in these shots. :thumb:
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom

Postby Tormentor667 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:53 am

Just wait until you can play it :D
Tormentor667
needs more detail

Postby esselfortium » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:45 am

This looks nice. :3

I have to agree with skadoomer, though. If you're using that much lava in a map for a sourceport that supports big textures and supports mixed texture/flat resources, you should get a much bigger lava graphic to use, so it won't noticeably tile when you're looking at so much of it. ;P
esselfortium

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:32 am

esselfortium wrote:This looks nice. :3

I have to agree with skadoomer, though. If you're using that much lava in a map for a sourceport that supports big textures and supports mixed texture/flat resources, you should get a much bigger lava graphic to use, so it won't noticeably tile when you're looking at so much of it. ;P

Bit textures will cause performance breakdown when being warped so that's probably not the best idea. It takes 5-8 ms on a P4 3.2 GHz to warp a 256x256 texture which will bring down performance quite considerably.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Levels