Doom Redux - Attempt #3

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Kills_Alone
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Doom Redux - Attempt #3

Post by Kills_Alone »

While its easy to get discouraged, you should keep in mind there are many lurkers who rarely if ever comment, and the world is constantly in a state of peril so there is a lot to be distracted by.

I've been focusing on real life stuff (fixing up my property, exercise, family & friends) so I've missed most of the recent releases, but I noticed a newer video from Dithered Output (who made the Siren TC) on YT featuring your map. I'm gonna check it out now, perhaps I can find the time to make my own video. Here is Dithered Output's video:

EDIT: Okay I played with Brutal Doom v21 until the bloody rooms with all the Archies, couldn't hurt them or be hurt by them so not sure that section was working as intended or finished or a bug because of BD. Otherwise its neat how you have the chemistry set and such but when I went back to make the blank card I still didn't have the enough of the other ingredients.

Another thing I noticed was some messages only appeared once, or the secret where you shoot the woman with the bullseye you can only do so once (this might have been intended).

Otherwise I was a little lost due to some backtracking and sometimes finding the next section was confusing. The textures are really nice as are the remixes of some familiar map locations.

The inventory system was a little annoying because you pick up so many items and the notes all look the same when selecting them with the bracket keys. Some doors have no sound.

My main complaint is some of the areas are very small, very tight, and this seemed to be trapping some of the monsters. Also, you spawn some monsters into areas I've already explored so without returning to them they'd probably be missed unless they can open doors.

Overall I enjoyed what is there but yes it needs a lot of love and attention in its current state, still, what is there is better then many of the maps I test out.
wran

Post by wran »

gotta echo the sentiment of others in here - this is cool stuff. I'd love to see it reach it's full potential one day, although I totally get your reasons for wanting to step away.
_bryan
Discord: _bryan
Github ID: abramsba

Post by _bryan »

Dynamo wrote:Ultimately I think your biggest mistake was making something you hoped people would like, rather than making something *you* personally would like. Modding to appease to other people's perceived wants will always result in disappointment, modding should be something you enjoy doing purely on your own first and foremost. With that said, I think people would absolutely like this, but it is hard to get stuff noticed sometimes, through no fault of your own really.
I agree with the sentiment, but you also can't go too far with this. An author doesn't read his own text the same way as somebody else, and you don't really know if your designs work as you intended without the feedback. As you'll inevitably play the segments a hundred times over yourself you'll be biased by this perspective.
-Stormwalker- wrote:I'm loving those textures and flats! If you don't mind my asking, where did you get those assets? The screenshots have a very cool vibe to them. Hopefully in time this project will see a proper release!
A good majority of the assets are the king pin textures, modified versions of them, mixes of some of my own stuff, and a lot of textures like the lab computers and stuff were done by artists from this community Clay and Ultra64.
Kills_Alone wrote:While its easy to get discouraged, you should keep in mind there are many lurkers who rarely if ever comment, and the world is constantly in a state of peril so there is a lot to be distracted by.
Cheers for recording the play through. I think these also help the most as I can see what you are and aren't missing.
wran wrote:gotta echo the sentiment of others in here - this is cool stuff. I'd love to see it reach it's full potential one day, although I totally get your reasons for wanting to step away.
As I've received a lot of input it's looking like I'm going to eventually have to do something to in some way wrap it up. I won't have the means to implement it completely as I envisioned, but we'll see.

Return to “Levels”