[Doom2] The Eight - 16 maps

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
alexsa2015sa

[Doom2] The Eight - 16 maps

Post by alexsa2015sa »

This is literally half of a tiny megawad built for vanilla Doom2. I completed 14 maps way back in early-mid-December 2021 but put it off to do Sunrise Citadel instead. Seeing as how I did not make much of any progress in the time since (actually no progress of any kind for the last month), before I actually Redkeep it away (...yes I am still 'working' on it two years since) I present this as-is.

Total playtime is about 50 minutes plus all the deaths in the process. Have fun, feel free to comment on all the boxy design messes inside.

Fatally shot screens:
Spoiler:
Download link: https://mega.nz/file/13ZHUQiZ#_eJs_iSrq ... ozu1Jt1Jcw
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Zemakat
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Doom2] The Eight - 16 maps

Post by Zemakat »

Sorry about the late comment! I played up to MAP07: Dead Hard and I have a few things to list.

Positives:
- The concept. I feel the connection between the locations and the fire gate portal is amazing!

- The large demon roles. I liked the options to run or fight against the heavier enemies.

- Most of the visuals. The lighting and varied map themes feels good to me!

Negatives:

- Some texture alignments and visuals. MAP07's largely wood-material texturing felt strange to me, but I want to emphasize this is only a personal view.

- MAP07's progression, where I ended my playthrough. I pressed the flesh lift button and went to and from the cover spot with the green torch, but I did not know what to look for.

By the way, MAP03: Vile Soul is my favorite. I loved the texturing, soulsphere secret, and back-and-forth running gameplay!
alexsa2015sa

Re: [Doom2] The Eight - 16 maps

Post by alexsa2015sa »

Zemakat wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:37 pm Sorry about the late comment! I played up to MAP07: Dead Hard and I have a few things to list.

Positives:
- The concept. I feel the connection between the locations and the fire gate portal is amazing!

- The large demon roles. I liked the options to run or fight against the heavier enemies.

- Most of the visuals. The lighting and varied map themes feels good to me!

Negatives:

- Some texture alignments and visuals. MAP07's largely wood-material texturing felt strange to me, but I want to emphasize this is only a personal view.

- MAP07's progression, where I ended my playthrough. I pressed the flesh lift button and went to and from the cover spot with the green torch, but I did not know what to look for.

By the way, MAP03: Vile Soul is my favorite. I loved the texturing, soulsphere secret, and back-and-forth running gameplay!
Thanks for the comment! I don't really mind it being late seeing how I managed to miss it for over two weeks.

- I was experimenting with texturing here a lot, misalignments aside (some are intentional to mark something, a few probably not). The ideas I had with limited texture compositions didn't always work out and quite a few scrapped maps were eye-searing messes, but I tried to make something interesting every time. I think I've improved since, so an extra pass could be worthwhile for worse levels.
- Map07 WOODMET in particular worked for me because it combines with SUPPORT3 nicely. It's... weird, but wood hell is a classic Doom thing so I thought I'd try it out. I can understand not liking it; I think there are a few places there I edited since release.
- Map 07 progression: I love obtuse puzzles. Unfortunately unironically, because they usually involve something I as the mapper consider obvious. Killing arachnotrons and mancubi aside, the blue skull button is uh, a button. The key is a misleading item that serves to mislead more than anything, here, so it's being removed for the future. Otherwise the map's progression, secrets aside, is a straightforward button sequence, with two of the buttons caged and shooting at you. Not particularly puzzle-worthy, by my standards, unlike MAP08 or MAP15 secret (the latter bad enough I solve it by "mash the buttons I remember being part of the solution until it works")

Overall, I stil plan to make it into full megawad (eventually) and I had map23 and map30 completed since, but seeing as I already have a project 1.5 years in development hell... no promises.

Return to “Levels”