CT6

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
BigDaveHadSomeToo
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

CT6

Post by BigDaveHadSomeToo »

I made some maps. Sorry.

They're (very) loosely based off the first six maps of DooM 2, but in the style of E1. The maps themselves are vanilla compatible, but I have included some custom flats, so the wad won't load with some ports (the only port I've tested that doesn't work is Chocolate Doom, I assume the originally exe too, but dosbox and me have a complicated relationship, so I can't confirm this).

I've also included a scrolling parallax sky, for ports that support zmapinfo. (I tried to get it working with other source ports using regular mapinfo, but without success. If anyone could help me understand what I've done wrong, it'd be appreciated!)

Map01: Service Access

This was made about a few months before the rest of the maps, and is probably the weakest of the set. It's probably also the most faithful to the original, since most of the areas, and progression are the same, just being aesthetically different. A lot of the previously optional rooms are now required, though.

Map02: Coolant Loop

This was the map that really kicked off this project, since for me Map02 is the map that I always associate with DooM 2.

Map03: Reserve Reservoir

The first map that significantly departs from the original. Be aware that progressing through the map does lock you out of some of the secrets.

Map04: Canal x05B

A lot more outdoorsy than the original, but follows a very similar progression.

Map05: Secondary Exflow

Map05 is the first map from DooM 2 I don't particularly like, so this one's quite significantly different. I think the progression is still recognisable, though.

Map06: Datum Centre

I played around with the progression on this one, to ramp up the difficulty of each encounter, and make the centrepiece something you have to fight to, rather than just being right at the beginning. You'll want to save your plasmagun ammo for the last fight... you did find a plasmagun, right?
Attachments
MDJ_CT6.7z
Under 256kb, baby!
(249.44 KiB) Downloaded 371 times
BigDaveHadSomeToo
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: CT6

Post by BigDaveHadSomeToo »

Well, on the bright side, no one's said it's awful and I should stop! :oops:

I've rejigged the skies for the next version, so they look a bit better. Here's the new E1 sky:

And Map07, showing off the E2 sky:

I've also implemented UMAPINFO and EMAPINFO, so you'll get the new skies on ports that support them. (I'll "bake in" the front skies for ports that don't support parallax skies, but it shouldn't matter, since they wouldn't get the scrolling effect anyway!)

(Hedgehog? I haven't seen any hedgehogs around here...)
Zemakat
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: CT6

Post by Zemakat »

I love this idea! I've tried the map a long while ago and I don't have any particular statements to say for changing anything. I'm alright with the modern additions, too.

Return to “Levels”