Page 1 of 2

Dragon Sector (Remake) Mapset

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:00 pm
by Daryn
I thought I'd share what we've been working on for a while now. So far, we've only got the first three map, but Barefootstallion is mulling over ideas for more.

This is a complete redo of the original Dragon Sector map pack he made for Risen3D. Since that port doesn't have a big userbase, it didn't get much in the way of traction. A few folks played it, and liked it, but that was about it.

After discovering Project Brutality, the idea grew that we wanted to remake Dragon Sector, and use an engine that's nice to work with (GZDoom) and a mod that's super fun to play. It also works in Brutal Doom, if you prefer that. We've tested the maps with a few different mods, and with no mods at alll, and they are perfectly playable. Though, some secrets will require a double jump to get to. Other than that, nothing should stop you from progressing through them. We just really love Project Brutality and Brutal Doom, so that's how we recommend playing them.

Here are a few screenshots to hopefully wet the appetite.









If you'd like to give it a try yourself, head over to the moddb page and grab a copy. Just be aware, it's really heavy on the GPU.

Thanks, everyone!

Re: [PB/Brutal Doom] Dragon Sector (Remake)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 4:04 pm
by Daryn
Just making a post to let you all know that we've done a lot of work to this over the past few weeks. Today we released version 0.2, brining with it the second map in the project. Both can be finished from a Pistol Start.

Hope you folks check it out! We're pretty proud of it.

Re: [PB/Brutal Doom] Dragon Sector (Remake)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:45 pm
by m1lk
thank you! saw some vids on YouTube today, looks great. ill check it out

Re: [PB/Brutal Doom] Dragon Sector (Remake)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:16 pm
by m1lk
THIS IS AMAZING! easily one of the best maps ive ever played! :D :D currently playing it with Dox778's BrutalDoom. this is a MUST HAVE! even the doors are mesmerizing to look at. WOW

Re: [PB/Brutal Doom] Dragon Sector (Remake)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:32 am
by Daryn
m1lk wrote:THIS IS AMAZING! easily one of the best maps ive ever played! :D :D currently playing it with Dox778's BrutalDoom. this is a MUST HAVE! even the doors are mesmerizing to look at. WOW


We're glad you're liking it. It's been a lot of hard work to get it to this point. Help spread the word, if you can. We'd appreciate it!

If anyone finds bugs or has feedback, post them here, too!

Re: [PB/Brutal Doom] Dragon Sector (Remake)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:52 pm
by m1lk
Daryn wrote:
m1lk wrote:THIS IS AMAZING! easily one of the best maps ive ever played! :D :D currently playing it with Dox778's BrutalDoom. this is a MUST HAVE! even the doors are mesmerizing to look at. WOW


We're glad you're liking it. It's been a lot of hard work to get it to this point. Help spread the word, if you can. We'd appreciate it!

If anyone finds bugs or has feedback, post them here, too!


it'd be nice if you put a rebreather somewhere around the end part of the 2nd map. If I didn't have 180 health I would've drowned before ever reaching the exit.

Re: [PB/Brutal Doom] Dragon Sector (Remake)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:48 pm
by Daryn
m1lk wrote:it'd be nice if you put a rebreather somewhere around the end part of the 2nd map. If I didn't have 180 health I would've drowned before ever reaching the exit.


There are actually two rebreathers near the end of the level.

https://imgur.com/a/b3shDQT

Re: [PB/Brutal Doom] Dragon Sector (Remake)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:37 pm
by barefootstallion
Daryn wrote:
m1lk wrote:it'd be nice if you put a rebreather somewhere around the end part of the 2nd map. If I didn't have 180 health I would've drowned before ever reaching the exit.


There are actually two rebreathers near the end of the level.

https://imgur.com/a/b3shDQT


Yep, just as you go out the huge doors to the reservoir area, turn to your left. There's a partially enclosed alcove there. In it are two rebreathers, a pair of light goggles and two medikits.

Re: [PB/Brutal Doom] Dragon Sector (Remake)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:08 am
by gamergoodboymail115
is it Possible to make Dragon Sector version with just the level and objects. No Monsters and No Weapons. i tried doing it myself through slade and deleting scripts and monsters wad but kept Crashing.

Re: [PB/Brutal Doom] Dragon Sector (Remake)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:14 pm
by Daryn
gamergoodboymail115 wrote:is it Possible to make Dragon Sector version with just the level and objects. No Monsters and No Weapons. i tried doing it myself through slade and deleting scripts and monsters wad but kept Crashing.

It is, but that would require us to maintain two sets of maps. It'd be a lot of work, as we'd basically have to remove the monsters we added from each of the maps and replace them with standard ones. The weapons we added are the drone and turrets. We didn't add any player weapons to the maps, but we're using the turrets as secrets for you to activate.

Out of curiousity, why do you want a monster/weapon free version?

Re: [PB/Brutal Doom] Dragon Sector (Remake)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:39 pm
by gamergoodboymail115
Daryn wrote:
gamergoodboymail115 wrote:is it Possible to make Dragon Sector version with just the level and objects. No Monsters and No Weapons. i tried doing it myself through slade and deleting scripts and monsters wad but kept Crashing.

It is, but that would require us to maintain two sets of maps. It'd be a lot of work, as we'd basically have to remove the monsters we added from each of the maps and replace them with standard ones. The weapons we added are the drone and turrets. We didn't add any player weapons to the maps, but we're using the turrets as secrets for you to activate.

Out of curiousity, why do you want a monster/weapon free version?

Because I would love to drag n drop play your levels with the mod Call of Doom Black Warfare[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N92FGZPtkRk[/youtube]

Re: [PB/Brutal Doom] Dragon Sector (Remake)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:08 am
by Daryn
gamergoodboymail115 wrote:
Daryn wrote:
gamergoodboymail115 wrote:is it Possible to make Dragon Sector version with just the level and objects. No Monsters and No Weapons. i tried doing it myself through slade and deleting scripts and monsters wad but kept Crashing.

It is, but that would require us to maintain two sets of maps. It'd be a lot of work, as we'd basically have to remove the monsters we added from each of the maps and replace them with standard ones. The weapons we added are the drone and turrets. We didn't add any player weapons to the maps, but we're using the turrets as secrets for you to activate.

Out of curiousity, why do you want a monster/weapon free version?

Because I would love to drag n drop play your levels with the mod Call of Doom Black Warfare[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N92FGZPtkRk[/youtube]


I just tested it out with Call of Doom Black Warfare and it did work. I'd recommend using ZDL, that will make your life easier.

https://github.com/lcferrum/qzdl

Add your iWads and where your gzdoom exe is, then you can add FileA, B, and then dragon sector to the main files window. A tool like this is a must for mods, since you have to get the order right or it doesn't work right.

Hope that helps.

Re: [PB/Brutal Doom] Dragon Sector (Remake)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:02 pm
by openroadracer
Daryn wrote:I just tested it out with Call of Doom Black Warfare and it did work. I'd recommend using ZDL, that will make your life easier.

https://github.com/lcferrum/qzdl

Add your iWads and where your gzdoom exe is, then you can add FileA, B, and then dragon sector to the main files window. A tool like this is a must for mods, since you have to get the order right or it doesn't work right.

Hope that helps.
I'm asking as someone who likes Black Warfare but loathes Brutal DooM: Will this still work with Black Warfare "Light Vanilla" Version, or is Dragon Sector too heavily reliant on BD/PB?

Re: [PB/Brutal Doom] Dragon Sector (Remake)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:37 am
by Daryn
openroadracer wrote:
Daryn wrote:I just tested it out with Call of Doom Black Warfare and it did work. I'd recommend using ZDL, that will make your life easier.

https://github.com/lcferrum/qzdl

Add your iWads and where your gzdoom exe is, then you can add FileA, B, and then dragon sector to the main files window. A tool like this is a must for mods, since you have to get the order right or it doesn't work right.

Hope that helps.
I'm asking as someone who likes Black Warfare but loathes Brutal DooM: Will this still work with Black Warfare "Light Vanilla" Version, or is Dragon Sector too heavily reliant on BD/PB?


I tried it out with both versions of Black Warfare. It worked fine on both of them. We're not hooking BD or PB specifically, but letting it do the monster replacements it wants to do. So, this seems to have let Dragon Sector run with a large variety of mods. We just prefer Project Brutality to play it with.

So you'll be able to play it with the Lite version. It can also be played with no mods, though it's a lot harder without the extra weapons.

Re: [PB/Brutal Doom] Dragon Sector (Remake)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:57 pm
by Daryn
Just posting to let you all know that we just released v0.30 of the mapset. The first three maps are now present. I hope you guys enjoy them!