(WIP) Doom: The Absolution

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

(WIP) Doom: The Absolution

Postby Doominer441 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:50 pm

I'm not really sure how to do this, but here goes nothing!

What initially started as me poking around with Sodaholic's ancient Doom Bible demo eventually turned into a veritable game in and of itself. I've been working at this thing at various rates and with greatly differing levels of enthusiasm since around 2017. Its gone through many different iterations, various reworks, and even a time I considered giving up on it. But now, although its still very much a work-in-progress, I finally feel comfortable showing just what I've come up with.

As I initially mentioned, this is all heavily based off the Doom Bible, with additionally inspiration from Doom 3, Lovecraftian horror, the Aliens series, and 90s era futurism (cassette futurism was it?). However, while undoubtedly drawing off the Alphas as its source material, this shouldn't be taken as a Doom Bible project. Rather, that's its primary source of inspiration. Its based in a neo-90s era future vision of Doom, a sort of AU. You won't find Doomguy here, and things aren't very "rip and tear". You're not a macho man-and-a-half.

But enough rambling, let's get into the actual description!

(I'll expand each section further as I'm able to develop them!)

This is made for GZDoom 4.5.0 and runs with Doom 2. It takes advantage of a few key GZDoom features (namely 3d floors and dynamic lighting, along with a few others) for both its atmosphere and aesthetic.

Maps
Spoiler:

Monsters and Weapons
Spoiler:

Story
Spoiler:

Screenshots
And of course, the main draw!
Spoiler:

And as usual:
Credits
Spoiler: