Hell Hath No Fury

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Hell Hath No Fury

Postby Beef Flavor » Sun May 30, 2021 5:57 am

Download Link https://www.mediafire.com/file/njeocdeq68j6lzh/HHNF_0_2_6.zip/file

This is my test map as I learn Doom level editing. It's pretty much Doom classic: grab weapons, ammo, and keys, while trying to stay alive.

This is a beta release at best, mostly because I'm a complete novice and there may be things that I have unknowing broken or left undone. Feedback and criticism are welcome and encouraged.

This project borrows heavily from cc4-tex.wad.

Currently there is only one map. There's no plan as to haw many maps this wad will eventually contain; I plan to work on the project until either a) it contains 32 maps or b) (much more likely) I loose interest in it

Edit:

Uploaded new version to fix an issue where one of the secrets was inaccessible. Also fixed some missing textures and adjusted difficulty a bit.

Edit again: A missing resource caused the player to become trapped. That has been fixed.

Screenshots:

Last edited by Beef Flavor on Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beef Flavor

Re: Hell Hath No Fury

Postby DuckReconMajor » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:13 pm

Nice little map! A bit cramped in the beginning. I liked the area behind the blue door a lot. I died in that area, luckily i panic-saved right before then.
I went back to try to find secrets, got all but one of them.
Also I couldn't figure out how to get over that railing so i jumped :(

DuckReconMajor
:M BIRD LOL

Postby Beef Flavor » Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:32 am

Thanks for the feedback, glad you had fun.

I guess the railing broke again. I'll fix that eventually. Luckily there is the jump button work around until then.
Beef Flavor

Postby Beef Flavor » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:43 am

Map02, Mounds, is complete.

Spoiler:

To be fair, the map is more of a playable exhibit.

Feedback and criticism are welcome and encouraged.

Edit: I should probably link the file, right?

https://www.mediafire.com/file/juwj8knor39equl/HHNF.zip/file
Beef Flavor

Postby ChrisSell » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:23 am

Just finished playing through the first level and overall it was well done even if a bit hard even on easy. Took about 12:30 to finish which just shows I got my butt kicked plenty. Lol.

I did find a bug with the the room with the yellow key. You can get stuck by prematurely killing the baddie before entering the trap. If you do this you'll have to restart or reload to get out.
Also the rail had to be jumped for me but that's no big deal. Found two secrets(out of five?)

I'll check out the second map later on and let you know what if anything I break.

I did really enjoy your level design and the flow was good. No where was confusing and the only spot I got stuck I immediately knew why and had saved just before it. This thing was fun but challenging. Luckily I read the previous comments to know to save often.

This also was the first mod I've used with cc4, since it's dependent it'd be nice to link the website to get it for anyone else trying to get it started without their first load up missing most textures. Glad I got it though because it really improves the textures and adds variety to the different areas.

A few easy suggestions is just adding the MAPINFO lump so the Map Name and Par Times are reflected properly. The bug was more of a feature, I loved that I was able to get myself stuck in a room. My mistake for being skittish.
ChrisSell

Postby Beef Flavor » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Now that you mention it, I should probably update the OP with the new link. You are playing an old version of map01, which still has the railing which needs to be jumped over and which does not integrate cc4-tex.

ChrisSell wrote:I did find a bug with the the room with the yellow key. You can get stuck by prematurely killing the baddie before entering the trap. If you do this you'll have to restart or reload to get out.

I thought I had fixed the big guy so he wouldn't wake up prematurely so he couldn't be shot through the bars. Now I see I'll need to really put him to sleep until the player is all the way into the room. Either that or pop him in a closet. Thanks for the bug report.
Beef Flavor

Postby Beef Flavor » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:02 pm

Ver 0.2.6 is available which fixes a bug in map01 where the player can get stuck and have to restart. Link is in first post.
Beef Flavor

Return to Levels