RAMP - A community+ project

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

RAMP - A community+ project

Postby DavidN » Wed May 19, 2021 6:54 pm

http://ramp.teamouse.net THREE WEEKS TO GO! You can download a snapshot build at any time

I've wanted to organize a community WAD for a while, so welcome to the Rabbit's All-Comers Mapping Project - RAMP! This is a mapping event started to encourage people to dip into Doom or GZDoom mapping and to give them the chance to be part of a wider project. I was very much inspired by TerminusEst13's trilogy of DUMP WADs (the Doom Upstart Mapping Project), and I hope that I can continue their welcoming spirit - to help people get started and try to make something together!

The rules... there aren't many. Everyone is encouraged to participate whether they're just starting out or have been around for a while, creating maps along whatever theme you like - everyone is welcome to join regardless of skill level. In the end, the maps will be compiled into a larger WAD game around a hub level - see the video for a preview of what it's looking like so far. But if you've been around in the community for a while, try to bring someone else along with you! Is there anyone you think who would really enjoy getting into Doom mapping or has been looking for somewhere to start?

I've set up a channel on my Discord server for anyone who would like to show off progress, get and give advice and encouragement. https://discord.gg/afFGdGNhW2

I don't want people to feel they have to spend months on a map, so I'm aiming to make this fairly quick - on 6th July I'll ease back on accepting submissions and switch to playtesting - but we'll see how it goes :)

See http://ramp.teamouse.net for tutorials, guides and how to submit!
Last edited by DavidN on Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DavidN

Re: RAMP - A community+ project

Postby CBM » Thu May 20, 2021 12:18 am

cool, will the maps need to be for gzdoom, boom or some other port?

I prefer to make maps in GZDoom UDMF format and it seems that is also what you are using

I have a few UDMF GZDoom maps that never got released and I am tempted to upload them to this community project
CBM
Imp Slayer

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby DavidN » Thu May 20, 2021 5:21 am

That’s right, any map format is welcome! If you already have something you’d like to include, I would be curious to know if the uploaded on http://ramp.teamouse.net/upload.php works...
DavidN

Postby FishyClockwork » Thu May 20, 2021 12:23 pm

Tempting. I'll keep my eyes on this.
FishyClockwork

Postby CraftyMouse » Tue May 25, 2021 4:17 am

A part of me wants to take part... but every map I've ever attempted to make has been, well... trash to be blunt about it. I wouldn't want to hurt the quality of the project.
CraftyMouse

Postby Endless » Wed May 26, 2021 7:15 am

Tempted! This looks like a cool thing to do. I've always liked WADs that are opnely designed for all types of players to join, especially those that promote the work of newcomers.
Endless

Discord: 𝕰𝖓𝖉𝖑𝖊𝖘𝖘#2065

Postby DavidN » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:18 pm

Well, this has took off a bit more than I expected for a new community project - my plan was to get it up and running in May, then for maps to start coming in in later June. It hasn't quite gone to plan - currently I have 59 maps. I'm wrapping them up in a game about completing levels for points and coins and other trinkets like that, and I've really been enjoying working what this game is about as I go along with getting to play people's submissions. It's truly amazing to see how people people are coming to try Doom for the first time, as well as getting new ideas from people I've seen maps from in the past.

Here's a flythrough of the hub level as it exists today, having rapidly been expanded to accommodate the increasing size of the project! https://youtu.be/80NbTTyVLqU

The automatic PK3 compiler has just been incredible to have - I have no idea how people organize community projects without it! It's very satisfying to be able to adjust things on my end (or for others to submit their own updates) and to see them reflected in the project immediately. Nobody has yet found any loopholes that crash my server, but I did have to change the way I served the PK3 file recently because its size drifted over 64MB :)
DavidN

Postby DavidN » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:08 am

We're now up to 60 submissions! I took a small break from video feedback because I spent the last weekend working on the game around the maps - I had had this idea of a trophy room gradually getting decorated throughout the WAD, like the Tony Stark-like space station in Doom Eternal. The trouble was I didn't really know how to lay it out, so I decided to let the player do it themselves, went completely insane and implemented an entire garden building simulator. I thought it would be a good way to show just how far ZDoom scripting can take you - and this is all with ACS and tags and levers and pulleys, no ZScript is involved! (Although it would probably have made things a lot easier) As you complete levels, gather points and tokens and so on, you'll unlock more decorations and trophies to display as you like.

DavidN

Postby ChrisSell » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:57 am

The legend himself. You're the reason I even started modding doom. If you're still taking submissions I'll defiantly start making one for this.
ChrisSell

Return to Levels