DBK01: Dungeon Synths - looking for mappers!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Big Ol' Billy

DBK01: Dungeon Synths - looking for mappers!

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

It was a dark and stormy night, and Doomguy had just spent another evening locked in his study, examining an ancient occult tome. Unraveling the forbidden secrets of the dark arts sure wears a person out! Fortunately, Doomguy had outfitted his castle with more than a few modern conveniences... and tonight he was feeling rather musically inclined!

This is the first of (hopefully) many ZDoom-oriented community projects organized by several veterans of the DBP series. Projects will be bimonthly, with a month of mapping followed by a month of polishing and finalizing. In this inaugural edition, we'll be mixing gothic fantasy and tech themes, with a synth/keyboard motif tying it all together. Check out the demo map (MAP01 in the resource pack) for a taste of what we have to work with! Screenshots below.

DOWNLOAD RESOURCES previous: v1 (https://www.dropbox.com/s/9l2853smhbnn5 ... 1.wad?dl=1)

RULES
1. Target compatibility is ZDoom 2.8.1, but also make sure your map doesn't break in recent GZDoom. Allowed formats are UDMF, Hexen, and ZDoom: Doom 2 formats.
2. Maps should be modest in length; aim for 4-15 minutes.
3. No jumping or crouching; freelook is optional. Jumping and crouching on land is disabled via MAPINFO, but should still work for swimmable water. Design your maps accordingly.
4. Don't go overboard with advanced features. Maps should "feel Doom-y" at their core.
5. Many stock textures and some stock THINGs are blacked out for thematic consistency. Blacked-out resources should not be used. Do not add your own resources!
6. A MAPINFO lump defines the music for each map slot, as well as enforcing general project settings. Use this to pick music for your map. The final sequencing of maps will be determined by the project leader.
7. Do not implement difficulty settings initially. Post your map first and let others assess it first.
8. Get your maps in by June 2nd! This is a firm deadline. After a month of polishing, refining, and sequencing, the project will be released on July 2st.
9. Submitted maps may be modified by the project leader for quality control and error fixing purposes.

MUSIC
Spoiler:
CUSTOM THINGS
Spoiler:
SFX
Spoiler:
SCREENSHOTS (DEMO MAP)
Spoiler:
Current credits can be found in a CREDITS lump in the resource pack.
Last edited by Big Ol' Billy on Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
glenzinho

Re: DBK01: Dungeon Synths - looking for mappers!

Post by glenzinho »

Just to expound upon rule #4 a little more: Bill's demomap/resource introductory MAP01 in the resource package paints a picture of the type of style of Doominess in a ZDoom context that we're aiming for here. If you've played any of the DBP series, think along those lines but you can go just that little bit further. We'd be hoping to see some unique actions and creative combat setups that can only be achieved with the extended trigger possibilities of the format. Moving large amounts of sectors in epic transformations is pretty great too. :D

Some other examples in ZDoom format that I can link to if a more clearer understanding is needed is Bill's Last Saucer Off of Mercury from the recent Jimmycontest, Fall of Society which also had a project thread here on this forum a few years back, and a couple of older and smaller pieces by myself in Trace of Soylent and We Die Young.

Thanks for having us onboard and we hope you're intrigued by the resource theme on offer to try your hand at a little sumthin sumthin. Also don't be afraid to steal borrow ideas and motifs from the demomap; I've been borrowing so much from Bill over the years that he had to give me a library card. Fun and jokes aside, this helps with keeping the final package cohesive as a whole. Stuff in the demomap like the skullkey being placed on the keyboard key switch after activation, and the steps made of keyboard keys, this is the kind of thing we'd like to see showing up in other maps and taken even further. It's always great to build off each other and give it a twist, particularly when mapping for a project with a deadline and new resources and ideas.
Last edited by glenzinho on Mon May 03, 2021 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zedonk

Post by Zedonk »

I might join but it depends on how well I get on with the hexen map I'm making.
DooM_RO

Post by DooM_RO »

Theme looks cool. Gonna make a map for this.
Phobus

Post by Phobus »

Very strong demo map here! Looking forward to the finished product in a couple of months :) We need more ZDoom map sets. Not sure if I'll get round to doing anything for this within the time limit, but I certainly intend to try.
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Alright! Time to groove.
zrakbz

Post by zrakbz »

Bruh
Vertigo

Post by Vertigo »

Hell yeah, stoked to see this! Time to start mapping :D
4MaTC

Post by 4MaTC »

Hello. This seems interesting. I'd like to give it a try. Though i don't promise i could deliver.
Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

Awesome 4MaTC, we'd love to have you on board. Your previous experience with Doom/Q1-themed hybrid mapping will definitely be an asset here, since we're leaning into some Quakiness with this one!
BearInThaWoods

Post by BearInThaWoods »

Really digging the theme and the change of format. I'm excited to get to work.
Endless

Post by Endless »

Ooooh yeah. DBK 4 life!
glenzinho

Post by glenzinho »

Some screenshots, one map by me that's just getting started, and another just about ready for public consumption by Jaxxoon R:
Spoiler:
Jaxxoon R

Post by Jaxxoon R »

Here's my map:
Kasparov's Claim
Glen's already posted some screenshots in his post, so just scroll up if you're looking for those. As an aside I'm rather pleased with how quickly this one came together, from start to fully-completable in only about 7 days. Of course it had to wait a couple for bugfixing, hahaha.
Big Ol' Billy

Post by Big Ol' Billy »

Resource pack v2 is now up in the OP. Note that I've split the resources into non-music and music wads now, since the music files are pretty hefty. New features include:
-- Tweaked health for Wicked (100HP, up from 80) and Lost Soul (50HP, down from 100)
-- More music tracks
-- More thematic SFX, see OP for details
-- A few new textures
-- Extra special keyboard interactivity features! Check out the tech demo on MAP32 for examples of some more advanced things you can do
-- Updated demo map

Return to “Levels”