[WIP] Donas - Underwater facility (PSX like)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[WIP] Donas - Underwater facility (PSX like)

Postby Deadsylian » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:44 am

TLDR: An underwater facility (Donas) PSX-DooM ispired.
Something bad happened... You are alone, fight for your life.

HI, this is my first project that I want to post a project. It's a pretty simple map for now, I think the first of a small episode that takes place in the deep of an underwater facility.
It's inspired from the PSX-DOOM and I like the tone but there are a lot of stuff that can be improved. So before i want to start with the other levels I just wanted some feedback :)
(soz for my english XD)

Spoiler:

Download: DONAS VERSION: 0.1

IMP: the file is pretty big(8MB) for different reason: custom music / custom sounds and some texture not used because it's a starting project. Sorry for the inconveniency.
Deadsylian

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [WIP] Donas - Underwater facility (PSX like)

Postby Deadsylian » Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:55 am

GZDOOM only for now, sorry forgot to add
Deadsylian

Postby Enjay » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:46 am

I enjoyed this. It's dark and moody and presents a nice medium level of challenge and size. Supplies of ammo and health seemed about right - generous but not excessively so. I thought that the sounds, textures and music worked well. I also liked how the map was the right size to accommodate a bestiary of stock monsters without them feeling too limited. Overall, it was nicely balanced IMO. Is it seriously your first released project? It certainly plays like something from a mapper with more experience than that.

I mentioned that it is dark - and it is. However, I don't feel that it should be brightened, but the next time I play it I will probably do so with a flashlight mod of some sort which I feel would enhance the moodiness rather than detract from it.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Deadsylian » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:01 am

Thanks for the feedback, it's not my first map but it's the first i want to publish :)
I have tried a lot of different style but i always end up with something too dispersive so i decide to do something 'small' and then espand it a little bit with other maps.
My idea is a small episode with like a few maps, not too many because it can be boring for the style and I want to try different things with the next maps in the same 'setting'
Deadsylian

Postby NecroPoster » Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:54 am

Honestly this is quite good. Even without custom textures, the atmosphere of the map really shines. I really did like the red/orange room arena at the end, especially the part where it lights up after the final switch. My only nitpick is that it can be a bit a bit dark during that fight, but I guess that's the point. Looking forward to more of this style.
NecroPoster

Postby Camper125Lv » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 am

Very cool level, I love it. Makes me want to make my own underwater level. Defenatly am interested in full release when it gonna come out.
Camper125Lv

Return to Levels