Deon's Techbase - DOOM2 basic mapping project

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Deon's Techbase - DOOM2 basic mapping project

Postby Deon » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:00 pm

Hello fellow doomers.

I have tried to publish a couple of mappacks on these forums, and if you had a chance to try them, you know that I went crazy with furniture and custom textures.

This time I've decided to try myself in a more classical "DOOM" style, and I playtest it using GZDoom.

The rules are:
- Not using voxels/complex furniture models.
- Only using base DOOM2 textures.
- Not using 3d floors or other "magic".
- Only standard ACS and GZDoom map format.

Here's the first level I came up with. It's just D1MAP01 (type "map D1MAP01" in the console to launch it), it doesn't take into account difficulty levels yet, and it's only 3 days old, but I've spent some time on it, and I would like to hear your feedback.
The level is not 100% linear, although there are areas gated behind keys needed to progress. The level is small, and all detailing I've done was just to make it look nicer, but not over the top. I took inspiration watching youtubers like Decino playing WADs like Sunlust.

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/M8xa8HJ
Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/3uankc3g ... 1.wad/file

DISCLAIMER: I don't have many traps/monster closets. There are a couple of areas which teleport monsters in. There's no frequent use of blinking light.
GAMERULES: Jumping/crouching/freelook are allowed. Flying is not allowed.
Deon

Re: Deon's Techbase - DOOM2 basic mapping project

Postby Deon » Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:33 pm

A quick update: I've made the exit actually switch to the next map (by default: Doom2 MAP01) instead of doing nothing. The plans are to have the next level, but I need to work on that first, and in the meantime any feedback is appreciated.
Deon

Postby Deon » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:38 pm

An early work on the map 2, an overgrown tech base.
https://imgur.com/a/aBW2zWH
Deon

Postby Camper125Lv » Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:46 pm

Very nice map, kinda odd that it doesn't have any music and that u need to open it through console, also it's very easy, otherwise pretty cool. That name makes me want to make my own techbase map and call it Camper's Techbase. Oh and in video i mentioned that radsuit position is kinda bad, i still stand by that, but position where i suggested to put it isn't the greatest.
Camper125Lv

Postby MartinHowe » Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:41 am

Very good, I really enjoyed this.

General remarks

Please use a standard map name, i.e. (for a single map wad) MAP01; tools, editors, and particularly launchers, will be able to find it; (a) it shouldn't be necessary to use +map at the command line or map in the console just to start the map and (b) I don't normally play with music but using a standard map name means at least the usual music for MAP01 will play; alternatively please include a MAPINFO lump to specify the music.

Not enough monsters - and I'm a casual player and not that good! Some parts, particularly bigger areas, would benefit from a chaingunner and a couple more hell knights, as well as a few more zombieman.

There is a fair bit of copypasta in places, particularity tech columns (those made of map geometry, not the sprite type); why not make a few custom frankentextures of comp panels, broken screens or whatnot?

Good move on the imps in the washroom - and I love the washing machines, that was inspired :thumb: For bonus, make them explode if shot or something, or perhaps attack the player with electrical sparks; I believe GZDoom now has destroyable map geometry, though not tried it myself yet.

The impression of concrete walls with gaps is broken by the cacodemons shooting through it; it might be better to use real walls or maybe a 'block everything' flag on parts of the line corresponding to the non-gaps. If you can guarantee that at that point the player is only facing melee enemies, it would work (i.e., the demons).

This is only a minor nitpick, but if the player has to take lava damage to get all the items (particularly ammo) either put a radiation suit that is just about reachable before the health boxes or make them medikits instead of stimpacks; obviously not near the parked aircraft as, presumably, getting the backpack is meant to be difficult :)

If there is no benefit to exploring the lava pit right round the far corners, i.e. no monsters to fight, no good stuff to pick up, why not make it obvious? For example, put a grating or fence in view at the end of the pit. Or for better gameplay, a slightly hidden radiation suit and some stuff to pick up around the corner.

So please keep at this, overall 8/10
MartinHowe
In space, no-one can hear you KILL an ALIEN

Postby DavidN » Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:59 am

This was really good :) Only the squareness of the rooms is really an indicator that this map was made by a relative beginner - your detailing with the ramps and sector furniture and everything is really good! It makes the map look good without getting in the way of the gameplay.

My playthrough video: https://youtu.be/a76JK5zVIGo

Also, here's the tutorial I mention about how to define your own episodes through MAPINFO! https://youtu.be/wJHW6Ug6oR0
DavidN

Return to Levels