[GZDoom][OTEX] First Contact 1.5 - a varied mapset

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [GZDoom][OTEX] First Contact 1.5 - a varied mapset

Postby Deon » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:45 am

I am continuing my work on a city map.

I am using Mars3d textures which look like tweaked Duke3d textures for the city:

I came here for an important opinion of people who has already played this map set: would you be OK with me including BUILD-engine style textures to better show the city style the way I intend it to look, or would you rather see me using more DOOM-like textures?
Deon

Postby Gez » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:43 pm

Use whatever texture you want to use, IMO.
Gez

Postby Deon » Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:40 pm

Hmm, you are probably right. Considering this is my learning experience and a foray into mapping, it will probably help to learn which texture packs exist and how they can be used.

I do want to make a pure DOOM-map set, but that will probably come after my experimentation with this pack :).
Deon

Postby armymen12002003 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:33 am

Nice job with this i love them space levels keep up the good work man can't wait to see more.
armymen12002003
Halt!

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Vyticoz » Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:10 am

I had an absolute blast playing through this. I really hope you keep working on it. I'm excited to see what it becomes.
Vyticoz

OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Kills_Alone » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:40 am

I really enjoyed the level design (feels more realistic like Duke 3D) and nice use of OTEX. Spent about 40 mins playing the levels.

More darkness/shadows might help a few areas look unique.

Near the start you might wanna add a section which encourages the player to jump and crouch teaching them to keep an eye out for such opportunists.

The levels felt just the right size, not overstaying their welcome, not too many enemies. Challenge wasn't very high until the final boss fight. Keep it up Deon.
Kills_Alone

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Previous

Return to Levels