GLOOM - Nukage Incarnate (My first published map)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

GLOOM - Nukage Incarnate (My first published map)

Postby King S P O O N » Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:16 am

One singular map. Not much, I know, but for my first try I think I did well.

The WAD only works with the GZDoom source port, and utilizes the Doom 2 IWAD. The only really new graphic that's added to it is the pop-up menu logo I made in-house.

I originally intended this WAD to have a whole 8-maps to it with new monsters and a sick boss fight at the end of it all. However, I got so burnt out making this one that I realized how ambitious that original idea was. So, here we are.

Architecture mostly consists of Roman/Ancient Greek influences with some industrial tech thrown in there as well. The level also has a heavy Nukage/Toxic Waste theme to it.

Check the screenshots attached below.
Spoiler:

Expect freelooking, crouching, and jumping mechanics involved in level progression.

Difficulty for this map ranges between Doom 2 and Plutonia, but not exclusively one or the other. You'll know what I mean when you play it.

The download link for the zip file can be found here:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/gloom

Let me know what you thought about it! I would really like to know.

FYI: I had originally posted this on Doomworld, but I thought it'd be a good idea to post it here as well. It'd may have been a couple months late in that regard, but nevertheless here we are.
King S P O O N

Re: GLOOM - Nukage Incarnate (My first published map)

Postby BunnyWithBeans » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:20 pm

Where are you supposed to go after getting into that wide-open area? All other areas are either too high to reach or require keys to open doors.
BunnyWithBeans

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby King S P O O N » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:54 am

BunnyWithBeans wrote:Where are you supposed to go after getting into that wide-open area? All other areas are either too high to reach or require keys to open doors.

That one outcropping with the Nukage flowing from it has an opening to the right that has a monster closet "merry-go-round" that will lead you to the next area.
King S P O O N

Postby BunnyWithBeans » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:07 pm

Okay, thanks for the help. I finally had some time to play through this today. Overall it's a really good wad and I'd highly recommend it. The action is great, I like the green fog and general color thememing for the indoor areas, and that part with the Mastermind followed by two Cyberdemons is seriously tense.

There are a few things I'm not a fan of, though, namely;
>The Chaingunners in the big pool area you can swim in and the ones in the main outdoor area seriously bug me. They're placed very far away and usually out of sight with other monsters being front and center, so often I found myself getting peppered with bullets from random directions, so I'd have to reorient myself from whatever was shooting at me directly.
>The map is very linear. That's completely fine, but I found a secret cliff ledge with a soulsphere and I had to loop back around from the entrance near the start of the acid river because I couldn't jump back up.
>Crouching isn't utilized for much other than some secret crawlspaces.
>The big red tall part with the particle effects happening in the middle surrounded by the acid has acid in an inescapable pit that doesn't damage you and I wasn't able to get out. I had to reload a save.

Otherwise, again, good wad. I'd like to play more like this in the future. We could do with less slaughtermaps these days.
BunnyWithBeans

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby King S P O O N » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:39 am

Thank you for playing, and thanks for the feedback too! I really do appreciate it.

I have this friend of mine from Discord that plays this map regularly as a testing bed for different mods due to the big open spaces and the enemy encounters to play around with. One such mod that I'd highly recommend playing with this map is Dark Doom. It really sets the "gloomy" atmosphere that the title implies. Although, in some areas the darkness can be overwhelming, but even then that plays into the general feel of the map. I'd really recommend slapping that bad boy on to this map and seeing how that improves it.
King S P O O N

Return to Levels