Via Dolorosa [WIP]

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Via Dolorosa [WIP]

Postby mdbakpo1 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:33 pm

Hello! After indulging in mapping for a while, I've finally whipped up a couple of levels that I thought are actually presentable for once, and as such I'm dropping these first two maps as a demo and to get some feedback into what I could improve.
I'm setting out to make a mapset that only uses vanilla Doom 2 textures, to see how much usage I can get out of them, hopefully covering all 32 maps eventually.

Do note that I'm not great at scripting, to put it lightly, so many of the fancy technical aspects that would probably be expected of a set of maps made for the GZDoom engine aren't quite present here, though I do try to implement some of the interesting features it brings into the design of the maps.

Of course, here are some obligatory screenshots:
Spoiler:

Here's the download itself:
Spoiler:

And finally, a big thanks goes to the Doom community for having so many awesome resources to help morons like me understand how to use map functions, as well as Raven Software for Hexen and its door sounds.
mdbakpo1

Discord: #2531
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Re: Via Dolorosa [WIP]

Postby Enjay » Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:25 am

I really enjoyed playing this. It hits a really nice sweet-spot between feeling like a traditional Doom project but it's actually using quite a few advanced features to very good effect.

Personally, I preferred the first map simply because tech/sci-fi is more my taste but I thought the way that the ending of that map handled the transition to the hellish second map was nicely done.

I found difficulty and item placement to be good. The only exception being that in a few places in map02 the enemies seemed reluctant to respond/attack. This was especially obvious with the enemies standing on top of the book shelves in the library (perhaps the platforms are a bit small?)
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Re: Via Dolorosa [WIP]

Postby mdbakpo1 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:43 pm

Hmm, maybe I forgot to toggle the ambush flag while changing the difficulty placement, I definitely intended for them to be alerted from the fight in the "lobby" area.
mdbakpo1

Discord: #2531
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Modern GZDoom)

Return to Levels