[GZDoom] My first map ever (Updated)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

[GZDoom] My first map ever (Updated)

Postby elCreyo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:03 pm

Hello
After a week of learning how to use GZDoom Builder I managed to create my first Doom map ever. This was supposed to be a GZDoom map which means jumping and crouching is required to finish it. I hope you will enjoy it. Let me know what you think, what I can fix or improve. Thanks.

Download:
Spoiler:

Screenshots:
Spoiler:

Change log:
Spoiler:
Last edited by elCreyo on Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:55 am, edited 11 times in total.
elCreyo
elAnimator

Discord: elcreyo#3831
Twitch ID: elcreyo

Re: [GZDoom] My first map ever

Postby Aquila Chrysaetos » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:12 pm

This is a good start, it looks like you've got the fundamental aspects down and understand how things work.

I found what appears to be a bug, where behind the yellow card door, there is a blue card placed, but a red lock on the opposite side, so the player can't leave should they get there first without getting the red card from the room over.
Otherwise, everything is perfectly functional to the best of my knowledge.

I like what you've got going on here, the idea of platforming to progress through the map is one of my favorites, but GZDoom's default air control leaves much to be desired when the player needs to jump around, Zandronum's air control is better for this by default. For future projects that require platforming in GZDoom, I'd recommend learning about ZMAPINFO and how to use it and apply a higher global air control value (ala Adventures of Square).

I feel like the map could use some height variation within rooms, like having rooms with two or three story heights and multiple floors to let the player better explore the vertical space. All of the rooms now are connected by corridors of some variety, some that need to be crouched through, others that can just be walked through, but it leads to a stop-and-go style of gameplay, and the natural chokepoints incentivize the player to corner camp. The best way to solve this in my opinion would be to connect some rooms together more directly (I've seen this referred to as knocking down walls) and use a larger number of short, more direct connectors to fit two spaces together. The monsters work best when they have space to move, and long, thin corridors work against them, I personally use 16, 32, or 64 unit long connectors between rooms, that are at least 96 units wide so the monsters can more easily walk through them, as they have difficulty with 64-wide gaps.

Almost all of the spaces are the same light level, which I believe is 96 or 112, and I think they need some lighting variation, too, ranging around 96-192 in increments of 8 or 16, and to have lighting variety within rooms, like shadows, gradients, and the like to help give the space definition and make it more readily understandable when the player enters.
Progression-wise, the player needs to be led directly to the red card before the yellow, lest they get stuck, or alternatively, the yellow card can be omitted entirely and the room it's currently in could be made into an optional room. I found it difficult to navigate to where I needed to go because few rooms had anything that made them stand out from the rest, like a unique shape, color, or otherwise significant characteristic.

You've got a lot of potential, and this is a strong effort that I appreciate, and I look forward to see what you make next. I hope I was clear, and if not, I'll gladly elaborate further as best as I can.
Aquila Chrysaetos

Discord: Aquila Chrysaetos#5992

Postby elCreyo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:16 pm

Thanks for the reply. Most of the rooms are indeed at 112 when it comes to brightness. I wasn't sure what size the corridors should be but I'll keep in mind what you said and I'll fix the bux you've mentioned. I hope you enjoyed it. I'll try to improve things in my next map and maybe I'll expand or change this map a little bit. I might also look up the things you said about air control but for now I'll practice regular stuff.

My goal is to make maps with fun platforming. Thanks again for your reply.
elCreyo
elAnimator

Postby Camper125Lv » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:10 am

Quite lovely small level. Personally not a biggest fan of jumping over insta death pits in doom engine, also in my opinnion level should had been brighter, especially in areas where sky is clearly visible. For floating base you missed a chance to have sky as a floor in insta death pits. In general i enjoyed it for what it was, despite dying more then i should.
Camper125Lv

Postby elCreyo » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:34 pm

I just watched your playthrough. I appreciate the video. I've noticed a couple of things I should change. It's true that the level is too dark. I tried to give it a nice atmosphere but I guess it's too much.

You're right about the sky floor. I might do it. I'm glad you liked it. I think I should go back to this map and improve it.

edit: I've just updated the map.
elCreyo
elAnimator

Return to Levels