My First Map!

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

My First Map!

Postby howeartistic » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:18 pm

Hey y'all, just started learning to map from a blog post about three weeks ago? Anyway, my first map took about two weeks. I decided on doing E1M1 from memory, and making some changes to keep it exciting and different. I would really appreciate any and all feedback on it! There's probably a ton of things I messed up on, but maaan is it fun. Like a lil Zen garden with demins. :D
howeartistic

Re: My First Map!

Postby wildweasel » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:44 pm

... Do you have screenshots or a download? People will find it difficult to critique something they can't see.
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby howeartistic » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:53 pm

Crap! I thought I attached the map file. I'll take some screenshots now!
howeartistic

Postby howeartistic » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:12 pm

Here's a couple screenshots, hope that works. I thought I attached the map file, I'll try it again! XD lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
howeartistic

Postby howeartistic » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:13 pm

I can't reply...?
howeartistic

Postby wildweasel » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:16 pm

howeartistic wrote:I can't reply...?

Your replies are going through just fine. We just need to approve them because they're among your first five posts on the forum.
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead

Postby howeartistic » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:28 pm

Whoops! Sorry! Too friggin' high, man, lmao. #boomermoment If anything doesn't work, lemme know what I can do! :)
howeartistic

Postby howeartistic » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:24 am

Um, so I don't actually know how or where to post my map. Can anyone help?
howeartistic

Postby wildweasel » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:40 am

I recommend a service like Dropbox or Google Drive. Simply drop your map in one of those, and click "Copy Public Link" or whatever they call the button. Then you don't have to worry about using the forum's awkward file attachment system, size limits, or your link breaking over time.
wildweasel
Moderator Team Lead

Postby howeartistic » Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:17 pm

howeartistic

Postby DavidN » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:06 pm

Oh... get lost, how is this your first Doom map? ;) You've made a really great start, going from looking fairly simple at the start to producing real surprises later on. Here's a video I recorded of my exploration of it - the only thing I would really highlight is the obviousness of all the secrets :) Mapping for the Doom engine is definitely really satisfying in a way I can't quite put my finger on... I hope you make more of these!

DavidN

Postby Nero » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:41 pm

Very cool! Ran through on HMP - no mods about as vanilla as you can get. Really loving the verticality of the level, I guess I'd say it feels "bumpy" but never in a bad way. Very rarely did I worry about getting stuck in a pit or something there's always a ledge or something to jump onto.

Up until about half way I found myself thinking the level was kind of easy, I had a lot of health and armor and ammo was staying plentiful. Also enemies weren't posing much of a challenge.
Then the open areas with nukage started. And, oh, uh I need shells. Um oh I'm literally a 3 health. Oh crap I'm getting swarmed in tight spaces by pinkies!
This culminated in the only "oh come on!" moment, but not a rage quitting moment - I lived. The twin mancubi. Open a door and what would be a smaller space for most enemies is suddenly a narrow space for a mancubus. Oh yeah, 2 of them. I lived and got rewarded with ammo and health.
The end is interesting. Short but satisfying for a final battle. Maybe that baron turns into a cyberdemon on UV - and given my ease on HMP I think I need another try on UV.

All in all this was a fun map! I hope to see more!

Also, in the small tunnel maze before the mancubi there's a backpack I was able to reach by walking through a grate texture. Broken secret?
Nero
Royal Boredom....Why can't I do this in Windows?

Postby howeartistic » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:59 pm

DavidN
Holy shit! Thank you so much! I loved the video. You made great points, all stuff I'm working on for my next map! I totally forgot about the secrets; meant to come back at the end, so there's a couple areas that should be tagged but weren't. :( The end of the video absolutely killed me tho! LMAO I hope you like the next one even more!

Nero
Thank you for playing! :D I totally botched the secrets, lmao. I should polish it up and reupload. The grate was me trying to do an illusory wall sorta deal? Need to experiment more. I'm glad the Rolly Bois gave you a go, lmao, I wanted that area to be cramped but not too annoying. I've got two more maps about half done, should have em up by next weekend!

Rip and tear, friendos! <3
howeartistic

Postby Unknown_Horse » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:05 am

howeartistic wrote:Hey y'all, just started learning to map from a blog post about three weeks ago? Anyway, my first map took about two weeks. I decided on doing E1M1 from memory, and making some changes to keep it exciting and different. I would really appreciate any and all feedback on it! There's probably a ton of things I messed up on, but maaan is it fun. Like a lil Zen garden with demins. :D

Well, your first map is blade of agony compared to my first map, congratulations.
Unknown_Horse

Discord: Unknown_Horse#2358

Return to Levels