Swifty

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Swifty

Postby MR SHINE » Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:47 am

A short and sweet single map wad containing 23 monsters and 1 secret.
Made with "zdoom in Hexen format".
This is the first wad I've made so feedback is highly appreciated.
swiffty.zip

Spoiler:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MR SHINE

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Re: Swifty

Postby Enjay » Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:26 am

This is a refreshingly simple little map. It reminded me of the good old days of finding a nice little map weighing in at a few KB on the Compuserve action games format and spending a couple of minutes playing it.

Layout-wise, its very simple and how the map was going to open up and progress was pretty obvious as soon as I was out of the first room. However, it's nicely made, seems to work well and was a nice amusing distraction for a few minutes.

A suggestion for improvement would be to have logic that is more than just "flick switch, door opens, go to open room, flick switch, next door opens..." e.g. in your map, you could have gone into one room, found a corridor that takes you around the back of another room (or maybe a teleport) so you get into the next room via a "back entrance" instead of the very obvious door. Once you clean out that room, you open the door to get you back into the central area, but this also opens the next door on the far side.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby MR SHINE » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback! Ill try to keep that in mind for future maps.
I'm thinking I might make a follow up to this with more maps. what do you think?
MR SHINE

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Enjay » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:50 pm

Please do. As I said, it's well made and it's fun little bite-sized package. The simplicity of the progression detracts from it in as much as it is too predictable (as discussed), but I've already played it several times because I do enjoy it and a full play through is only a couple of minutes - nice to do between other tasks. IMO, there aren't enough small "play in your coffee break" maps.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby DavidN » Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:02 pm

Definitely a nice tiny map, you're on your way :) I recorded a short video of it!

DavidN

Return to Levels