GZ-Doom-1 - Community Project - Rebooted

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
CBM
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

GZ-Doom-1 - Community Project - Rebooted

Post by CBM »

COLLAB with DOOMWORLD >>>
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... xperiment/

Welcome to GZ-Doom^-1 (GeeZee Doooom to the power of minus one)

EDIT - the project is officially rebooted...

This is inspired by this thread from DOOMWORLD:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... xperiment/

This will be the same concept... EXCEPT... that this will aim for GZDOOM compatibility and thus will use ALL the cool stuff allowed by GZDoom... if THEY can do it.. so can we!

This thread features another map that can be used as well if desired... my CastleMaster map...

The minimalist starting map can be found in the doomworld thread...

project logo...

BUT.... it needs work...

it can be found here...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/97rxgdjgd1zxs ... 1.pk3?dl=0

it currently uses the music from the classic Castle Master game and it uses dynamic lights...

suggestions for fixes to the castle master map:

A) Many more monsters
B) Much more ammo+health
C) More Stuff to look at in the castle
D) better staircases
E) fixing the counter (simple fix)
F) making all monsters spawn from the start
G) finding a way to Better guide the player
H) finding Some excuse erh story to explain the killing

My map is currently pretty boring.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

One castle with only a pair of monsters spawn spots and a few items.

BUT.... it's only the base of possibly the best, hardest, weirdest and coolest community WAD ever.
Assuming such a feat is possible on his forum. Lets see how many days it takes for anyone to participate.
On the doomworld forum, the successful experiment that inspired this, was off the ground from day one.

THIS IS a social experiment, ANYONE who wants to can edit the map/project/assets/etc.
You can add enemies, secrets, additional levels, etc.. After that, you can post a reply with the edited WAD file, and then the next person can edit. This continues until December 21st, after that, the WAD will be officially published.

RULES

No adding dumb stuff. If it does nothing good or funny or is just really dumb, then it shouldn't be there.

Compatibility is restricted to GZDoom.

Custom monsters, items, music, text and textures are fine,
as for monsters and items... 3D models are preferred... I will personally be added lots of 3D monsters, items etc to this project

It has to be a working level with a start and finish, making it impossible for UVMAX and Pacifist gameplay is ok, but it needs to be at least possible for a player to complete the level.

Dynamic lightning should be used when possible.. this is GZDoom afterall

Have a good time, and teamwork is important.
Last edited by CBM on Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Athel

Re: GZ-Doom^-1 - COMMUNITY PRJ EXP - thread will die on sept

Post by Athel »

Is this UDMF or Hexen format? Not sure if I missed it - I'm still not entirely well versed in DB but I DID start with UDMF for 8BDM stuff so I can give this a shot ^.^
dard98
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by dard98 »

Athel wrote:Is this UDMF or Hexen format? Not sure if I missed it - I'm still not entirely well versed in DB but I DID start with UDMF for 8BDM stuff so I can give this a shot ^.^
Gzdoom Doom2:UMDF
CBM

Post by CBM »

dard98 wrote:
Athel wrote:Is this UDMF or Hexen format? Not sure if I missed it - I'm still not entirely well versed in DB but I DID start with UDMF for 8BDM stuff so I can give this a shot ^.^
Gzdoom Doom2:UMDF
cool :D

we are having lots of fun with the community project on doomworld called doom-1 that inspired the birth of this project

but yes, as dard98 wrote, it is

GzDoom DOOM2:UDMF

I recommend using dropbox to share changes...

NB:
I have another GzDoom map that can be used as a template that I can add, assuming this community project gets off the ground before september 1st, if not then this project will migrate to a thread on the doomworld forums and become a doomworld community project instead
Athel

Re: GZ-Doom^-1 - COMMUNITY PRJ EXP - thread death on hold

Post by Athel »

I know about Doom -1 on doomworld. I'm a part of it :p

I can try to make a few edits and hopefully give this a bit of notoriety, we shall see
CBM

Post by CBM »

Athel wrote:I know about Doom -1 on doomworld. I'm a part of it :p

I can try to make a few edits and hopefully give this a bit of notoriety, we shall see
Cool. I'm CBM on the doomworld forum, I just have a different avatar picture here on the zdoom forum.
Athel

Post by Athel »

Okay, so, I did some *very* base edits, such as moving all the player starts to the entrance of the castle and placing some demons and trees in the courtyard. I also commented out the part of the code where it says "you killed an enemy" - yes, I... I would hope so, I mean... I shot it. It's not moving. It's kinda bleeding, uh... yeah-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bkTkSk ... sp=sharing

However, I will say that I feel like the success of the Doomworld Neg 1 project stemmed from the fact that the project started off from practically nothing, a few rooms and some items, nothing more. For a starting base, this actually seems really complex - multiple 3D floors, each with their own textures, the ACS scripts, etc. Maybe it's just because outdoor areas such as this aren't really my strong suit (as I've shown in the Doomworld version of this project), but it feels odd to add anything on this. For some reason every time you shoot, an enemy or two always spawns in, and I'm not sure what exactly is causing that.

Don't let this discourage you, though! Even with some small base edits such as the ones I've made, this potentially could be one of the coolest things to rise if it actually gets lifted off the ground

Though it would be nice to know if we can add maps to this or if you're keeping it limited to this one map? If it's the former we probably could really[/] lift this off the ground, if it's the latter, well we still can get it rolling but it may take a bit more time for this to even cross people's minds-

Anyway, that's my spiel done - I'm looking forward to see how this project as a whole plays out! D-1 is a very cool concept and to apply it to an even more advanced port is amazing. One last question I have (and I'm so terribly sorry for the disorganization present in this post, I just want to make sure I get all my bases covered to not spam the thread) - there was talk of using Git, and while we can't possibly do something like that for a vanilla doom wad, seeing as how this is a PK3, which is just a ZIP file at heart, have you thought of combining ZDForums and DW for this project? I'd imagine with stuff like scripts and with the commit system we COULD get some semblance of organization, even IF the concept of using Git (as an example) seems a bit silly. Again, this is not meant as a "you should do this!!" kind of post, it's more of an honest inquiry since I see potential in both projects.
CBM

Post by CBM »

Athel wrote:Okay, so, I did some *very* base edits, such as moving all the player starts to the entrance of the castle and placing some demons and trees in the courtyard. I also commented out the part of the code where it says "you killed an enemy" - yes, I... I would hope so, I mean... I shot it. It's not moving. It's kinda bleeding, uh... yeah-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bkTkSk ... sp=sharing

However, I will say that I feel like the success of the Doomworld Neg 1 project stemmed from the fact that the project started off from practically nothing, a few rooms and some items, nothing more. For a starting base, this actually seems really complex - multiple 3D floors, each with their own textures, the ACS scripts, etc. Maybe it's just because outdoor areas such as this aren't really my strong suit (as I've shown in the Doomworld version of this project), but it feels odd to add anything on this. For some reason every time you shoot, an enemy or two always spawns in, and I'm not sure what exactly is causing that.

Don't let this discourage you, though! Even with some small base edits such as the ones I've made, this potentially could be one of the coolest things to rise if it actually gets lifted off the ground

Though it would be nice to know if we can add maps to this or if you're keeping it limited to this one map? If it's the former we probably could really[/] lift this off the ground, if it's the latter, well we still can get it rolling but it may take a bit more time for this to even cross people's minds-

Anyway, that's my spiel done - I'm looking forward to see how this project as a whole plays out! D-1 is a very cool concept and to apply it to an even more advanced port is amazing. One last question I have (and I'm so terribly sorry for the disorganization present in this post, I just want to make sure I get all my bases covered to not spam the thread) - there was talk of using Git, and while we can't possibly do something like that for a vanilla doom wad, seeing as how this is a PK3, which is just a ZIP file at heart, have you thought of combining ZDForums and DW for this project? I'd imagine with stuff like scripts and with the commit system we COULD get some semblance of organization, even IF the concept of using Git (as an example) seems a bit silly. Again, this is not meant as a "you should do this!!" kind of post, it's more of an honest inquiry since I see potential in both projects.

a lot of good points and questions

- anyone can add maps and edit maps as they want, the goal would be to have 32+ gzdoom maps that uses the advanced features of gzdoom

- combining forces from both forums could be really interesting

- git could be a great way to organise everything
CBM

Post by CBM »

lets see how many wants to help out, if we can get a few more souls from zdoom then combining the forums and using git could make sense...

if all souls are from doomworld then it would be more at home at the doomworld forum

btw feel free to modify the castle and its 3d floors

...anyway, here is my edit...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8e5s6yodxczl ... 2.pk3?dl=0

changes:
all monsters spawn at the same time instead of in turns
Athel

Post by Athel »

Sweet! I can organize the PK3 a bit better to prepare if this DOES actually happen, maybe I can also start a barebones GZ map if your overall goal is to have this be a multi-level pack
CBM

Post by CBM »

Athel wrote:Sweet! I can organize the PK3 a bit better to prepare if this DOES actually happen, maybe I can also start a barebones GZ map if your overall goal is to have this be a multi-level pack
Sounds good :-)
CBM

Post by CBM »

last call for any zdoom forum members to join the project

else it will move to doomworld and become a doomworld only project
CBM

Re: GZ-Doom^-1 - COMM PRJ EXP - thread death soon - last cha

Post by CBM »

as the title now implies... last chance to support this community project experiment before this thread will become inactive and link to a new thread on the doomworld forum, that will feature a simple starting map with only a few gzdoom specific things on it... as suggested by Athel
Athel

Post by Athel »

Sorry I haven't been able to get to work on the smaller thing I said I would - I guess I should wait until you make that thread xd
CBM

Post by CBM »

Athel wrote:Sorry I haven't been able to get to work on the smaller thing I said I would - I guess I should wait until you make that thread xd
no problem

the thread is at doomworld and linked in the first post

of course anyone from this forum are also welcome to join in but I suspect that this will not happen

I used a different map on doomworld, it has a playerstart and a tower with an exit switch and not much more

Return to “Levels”