[Doom 2] Yet Another "Sewers" Remake

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

Note: This forum, and all forums below it, are not for questions or troubleshooting! Threads created here are for active projects only! If you have questions please feel free to use the Editing subforums or General forum.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Craneo
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

[Doom 2] Yet Another "Sewers" Remake

Post by Craneo »

Hello y'all, I am here to share a map I've been working on for a while, a remake of the XBOX Sewers level!
due to the way most of the map was made, I had to remake the enterity of the "water" section, as it's shape was...
bizarre to me, it's made for Doom 2 despite being a remake of E1M10, it also includes extra monsters from Doom 2,
and a fight with the Mastermind near the end, get ready for it!
Plot:
The UAC is well known for not being the most ethical of companies, but this? this is just vile!
reselling sewage slime, mixed with nukage as purified water and at twice the price! gross, just gross!
and as if that weren't enough, the Demons have taken it over, soon, all the water of Earth will be
poluted! you enter one of Hell's teleporting gate which leads the way to this gross factory, and now
it's time to stop the demons from poisoning the people of Earth! time to Rip and Tear!
-
The UAC would later be collectively sued over the incident.
SCREENSHOTS:
https://imgur.com/a/KC4CWoN

DOWNLOAD:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2rjckxuqwudnz ... e.wad?dl=0

CREDITS:
Map originally from XBox Doom, remade by Craneo (also copypasted a few areas of the original, like the end, throught they're heavily modified)
Midi/Music by Jimmy (D_RUNNIN - "Sinister Waltz of id")

ORIGINAL MAP:
https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/level ... -u/sewers2
All credits to the original authors.
Kills_Alone
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Doom 2] Yet Another "Sewers" Remake

Post by Kills_Alone »

These pipes, are clean!

BunnyWithBeans
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [Doom 2] Yet Another "Sewers" Remake

Post by BunnyWithBeans »

(to clarify, I never owned the xbox version of Doom, so I never played the original Sewers map.)

Overall, I liked the map a lot, especially more than other sewer levels I've played in games. The design is really inventive with how the fights use a variety of monsters both weak and strong to give encounters some variety instead of just filling a room with Revenants and Mancubi after you grab a key. Hell Knights are also used pretty well since they're given a lot of room to move around and hit you from afar, but not too far to the point where you can just hide behind something from a distance. The visual design for the most part is also pretty good.

Just a couple things that could be improved:
- The big exit area with a ton of pinkies on the platforms has two chaingunners outside of autoaim distance, which I think is a pretty big no-no for Doom level design; it's really easy for them to blindside you since you're focused on the two Lost Souls that take notice of you first. Maybe have them unable to see you at first until you get into the center of the stage and walls lower so that they can see you then?
- The main sewer (with the brown and green nukage) itself isn't all that confusing, but without the Automap I think I would've been more lost. Maybe a few more distinct-looking walls or decorations could be used to thematically separate the different sections.

Overall, great map! I'd love to see more Doom 2 maps with your kind of level design, even if certain sections of this are taken from the original.

Return to “Levels”