[RELEASED] Spawn 2: Descent of Canopus V1.1

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [RELEASED] Spawn 2: Descent of Canopus V1.1

Postby vitriolicv » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:28 am

This was really pretty -- great and very consistent style, especially with variants of simple textures and using busier textures only as highlights. However, it was really hard to navigate, and the backtracking could be uneventful (and also difficult) at times. There were also some difficulty issues I had: The cyberdemon and teleporting-archviles room (CPU core I think) was really hard (though that might be due to using BDLite instead of playing vanilla here). It was harder than the final boss fight, even. And then, the escape was hell: Even though I cleared the way completely of anything to fight, and nothing was locked, looking at the map to find the way out of each map and then remember which map had the escape pods on it and then navigate to the escape pods, just... since it was auto-saving at every map exit, if I made bad time evacuating one map, that bad time would compound until I was left with just a few seconds to get to the escape pods from the entrance to the map the pods were in, until finally, I'd end up with an unplayable autosave. I used the "resurrect" command a lot playing this

It was fun, and great to look at, just very frustrating at points.
vitriolicv

Postby Fat_Angus » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:35 am

vitriolicv wrote:This was really pretty -- great and very consistent style, especially with variants of simple textures and using busier textures only as highlights. However, it was really hard to navigate, and the backtracking could be uneventful (and also difficult) at times. There were also some difficulty issues I had: The cyberdemon and teleporting-archviles room (CPU core I think) was really hard (though that might be due to using BDLite instead of playing vanilla here). It was harder than the final boss fight, even. And then, the escape was hell: Even though I cleared the way completely of anything to fight, and nothing was locked, looking at the map to find the way out of each map and then remember which map had the escape pods on it and then navigate to the escape pods, just... since it was auto-saving at every map exit, if I made bad time evacuating one map, that bad time would compound until I was left with just a few seconds to get to the escape pods from the entrance to the map the pods were in, until finally, I'd end up with an unplayable autosave. I used the "resurrect" command a lot playing this

It was fun, and great to look at, just very frustrating at points.

Yeah, BD Lite might mess things up a bit gameplay wise. I did add computer map powerups in the game to make it a lot easier to navigate (regularly checking the automap is a good habit to get into in any DOOM wad, IMO). Make sure you use powerups too, and look for secrets - doing so will make it a lot easier - this WAD places more emphasis on exploration this time around.

Also, you can pause the game while using the automap.
Fat_Angus

Postby vitriolicv » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:15 am

I always forget there's a pause function independent of the menu. Still... very tight escape. I wonder, what would you think of making the escape time decrease based on game difficulty setting? And are there any useful teleports on the route back to the escape pods?
vitriolicv

Postby Fat_Angus » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:34 pm

vitriolicv wrote:I always forget there's a pause function independent of the menu. Still... very tight escape. I wonder, what would you think of making the escape time decrease based on game difficulty setting? And are there any useful teleports on the route back to the escape pods?

No teleporters, unfortunately. I did think about increasing the escape time, but I wanted to maintain a strong sense of pressure so that when the player does reach the escape pod they get a much greater sense of relief.
Fat_Angus

Postby Caleb13 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:28 pm

Good atmosphere, and some of the ingame texts and new console lines were truly amusing. However, running through the empty halls when trying to reach various objectives became boring after a while, so I just used noclip cheat most of the time (I edited the MAPINFO lump to enable cheats... was it really necessary to disable them in the first place?). I played on normal difficulty, do more monsters spawn on higher ones? I also used noclip to get the BFG, you really need to find ALL the secrets in ALL maps to open the warehouse?

Anyway, I'm popping in to report a minor bug with the final escape timer, the texts become overlapped when playing on 4:3 monitor:

https://imgur.com/a/VRU0vzu

Edit: I tried Spawn 1 in GZdoom 4.4.2 and there are some overlapping texts too, this time in consoles:

https://imgur.com/a/3IW4kPT
https://imgur.com/a/Z3Pawhg

BTW, I really liked the gameplay tips in Spawn 1. Spawn 2 should have something like that too, for example I found out about the interactive consoles only by accident when I hunted for secrets.
Caleb13
Death will not be your end; your soul will burn in Hell forever!

Previous

Return to Levels