[WIP] [Hexen] The Red Keep - hubs 1-2 of 4

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [WIP] [Hexen] The Red Keep - hubs 1-2 of 4

Postby alexsa2015sa » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:53 am

fluffyshambler wrote:I started playing hub 2 as the fighter with a fresh start. I had to give myself the 2nd weapon with the console because it's insanely hard without it. And still pretty difficult until you get the 3rd weapon. In general, I think the new Bishop enemies are overused. Bishops are already a little annoying when spammed, but these guys constantly spawning in enemies gets tedious. Also, the Wendigo variants should be more visually distinct.

There are a couple things on the Necromancer map: https://imgur.com/a/l7HLIxB
1. You can get stuck in this area by jumping down without having the prerequisite keys
2. Mana in wall

Also, I was able to open a lot of other doors/objects with the horn key symbol despite not having it.

The axe to the immediate left of your start spot isn't noticeable enough as grey on grey, got it. It's only mage who actually starts without weapon 2 here - frost shards aren't much of an upgrade over wand at long ranges.

The place to get stuck you pointed out is not actually a deadend, lack of keys or not. You "merely" need to find one or maybe two secret passages, depending on which paths are open. I guess I should add a visible path instead.
The doors which didn't need horn key were fixed. The mana in the wall is actually in a niche - I'll make it bit taller since it doesn't fit.

The wendigo variants not having any visual differences was a backburner issue. I will see what I can do but they do have speed differences and melee = bad idea either way. As for necromancers, I guess I got too good at killing them in general. At longer range, they default to summon over missile which makes them less of immediate threat, and there are two tricks to their summons too: they turn to smoke on attack/pain if master is dead, and dispell outright when blasted by repulsion. So you shouldn't spend mana killing these. I could make them dispel automatically if you think them not disintegrating on master's death makes them too annoying.
alexsa2015sa

Postby whirledtsar » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:39 am

alexsa2015sa wrote:The axe to the immediate left of your start spot isn't noticeable enough as grey on grey, got it. It's only mage who actually starts without weapon 2 here - frost shards aren't much of an upgrade over wand at long ranges.
As for necromancers, I guess I got too good at killing them in general. At longer range, they default to summon over missile which makes them less of immediate threat, and there are two tricks to their summons too: they turn to smoke on attack/pain if master is dead, and dispell outright when blasted by repulsion. So you shouldn't spend mana killing these. I could make them dispel automatically if you think them not disintegrating on master's death makes them too annoying.

Ah, I feel foolish for not seeing that. However, I reopened the map and found it slightly difficult to find even when specifically looking for it. So yes, maybe a different spot.

Anyways, I played awhile longer and found a few more things: https://imgur.com/a/CZCLikV
1. This switch doesnt seem to do anything
2. Torches floating away from wall
3. Another switch that doesnt seem to work
4. These door tracks should be lower unpegged

Regarding the necromancers - it's not that theyre too hard. Its that theyre so common and they summon so many ghosts, they make clearing areas take way longer than it should, which gets tedious. It doesnt help that it feels like they summon enemies even when you're not in their view. Honestly for me they almost ruin the experience with their shenanigans.
whirledtsar

Postby PRIMEVAL » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:27 pm

I'm liking this. I'm liking this a lot!
PRIMEVAL

Discord: Primeval#4268
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Manhs » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:41 am

Is there some news about hub 3? :)
good luck with your cool expansion! 8-)
Manhs

Postby alexsa2015sa » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:10 am

Manhs wrote:Is there some news about hub 3? :)
good luck with your cool expansion! 8-)

Has it really been over a month?.. Time flies fast.

I've been busy, and didn't do very much on hub 3. It takes me a lot of time to make a mob spritesheet that doesn't look too awful. Had to scrap one already. Eh, at the very least it is a different kind of interesting.
Also, the hub 3 is whole 10 levels long, unlike the previous two ones. That is, indeed, a lot of work and I probably will end up cutting some corners.

By loose estimate, I don't expect to be done until October at earliest.
Edit: Make it late October. Hopefully not November because I did plan to get done this year.
Last edited by alexsa2015sa on Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexsa2015sa

Postby Manhs » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:58 am

Sure, take your time! Cool :)

A question, is there some starting weapons at the beginning of hub 2?
I played the first hub with the fighter but i can't continue directly with hub 2, if i use changemap, i will start with no weapons except the fists.
Manhs

Postby alexsa2015sa » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:26 am

Manhs wrote:Sure, take your time! Cool :)

A question, is there some starting weapons at the beginning of hub 2?
I played the first hub with the fighter but i can't continue directly with hub 2, if i use changemap, i will start with no weapons except the fists.

You mean the old save doesn't work because the level doesn't match and/or you don't want to play hub 1 again, right? Hub 1 -> Hub 2 transit should work otherwise. Also, console command isn't needed, you can start hub 2 directly from menu. Unless I messed up something with last uploaded version.

The second weapon is almost at start of hub 2, yes: the serpent staff right ahead and the axe to the left, if difficult to see. The mage gets the short stick and must climb up to get the frost shards, but I put ice damage reduction on wendigo variants anyways so it's not like it works well until later. The third weapons (five each, I think?..) are scattered unequally. If you can't find any and your green mana is full you are very likely looking not just a wrong place, but a wrong level.

Edit 29/03/2021: I think I should leave a notice that 3rd hub is actually almost ready since December 2020. The sticking point is spritework which I need to finish. This takes me forever. And yes, 4th hub is actually half-done too...
alexsa2015sa

Previous

Return to Levels