Flesh Interface 1: The Laboratory (alpha version)

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Flesh Interface 1: The Laboratory (alpha version)

Postby AngrySaint » Mon May 11, 2020 11:59 am

This is a level I started working something like 2 years ago. I worked on it for one year then let it go. I came back to it this 2020 to finish it, before it's too late.

It is a GZDooM level with 3d floors and lights. You can jump, look around etc... Gameplay is heavily influenced by DooM 2016, as you'll see.

It is a lot of time since I last published a single map for Doom on this forum (I even lost my old account, I created a similar one). So please take it easy and let me know what you think and how you would improve my map.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/d4jltcj5ldpxx5w/fi1laba.zip/file

Additional credits: FuzzyBlaze, 3DRealms, Captain Toenail, Gothic, Tormentor667 for sprites.

Screenshots:

Spoiler:
AngrySaint

Re: Flesh Interface 1: The Laboratory (alpha version)

Postby Valken » Tue May 12, 2020 6:46 am

Looks GREAT!
Valken

Postby Enjay » Tue May 12, 2020 7:04 am

It plays pretty well too. I'm not a fan of teleporting monsters and these are used quite heavily. For the most part, they weren't hugely problematic but it's not a style of fight that I enjoy too much. So I don't think they are done badly; they are just not my favourite way of playing. I also found ammo becoming a bit tight about quarter of the way in - but later it was fine. Health seemed very tight to me.

It's a good looking map (in a style that I generally like anyway), with good use of 3D structures and walkways as part of the natural progression through the map. The 3D nature of many of the areas was a particular strength actually, and the walkways and balconies felt quite natural in their positioning - not merely tacked on because "3D floors LOL". There were plenty of options of how to get from A to B and even different routes within rooms/areas (especially important when dodging around and evading a recently teleported horde) but I never felt hopelessly lost and never had that "so what am I meant to do now" feeling.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby AngrySaint » Sat May 16, 2020 3:26 am

Enjay wrote:It plays pretty well too. I'm not a fan of teleporting monsters and these are used quite heavily. For the most part, they weren't hugely problematic but it's not a style of fight that I enjoy too much. So I don't think they are done badly; they are just not my favourite way of playing. I also found ammo becoming a bit tight about quarter of the way in - but later it was fine. Health seemed very tight to me.

It's a good looking map (in a style that I generally like anyway), with good use of 3D structures and walkways as part of the natural progression through the map. The 3D nature of many of the areas was a particular strength actually, and the walkways and balconies felt quite natural in their positioning - not merely tacked on because "3D floors LOL". There were plenty of options of how to get from A to B and even different routes within rooms/areas (especially important when dodging around and evading a recently teleported horde) but I never felt hopelessly lost and never had that "so what am I meant to do now" feeling.

Thank you. The gameplay is based on DooM 2016, which I played a lot before starting making this level. Doom monsters are slower than D2016 ones, and have less mobility - D2016 creatures can climb and jump and so on, so I had to keep in mind a limited mobility of enemies while making the small arena layouts, with the constant risk of being overwhelmed by enemies.
AngrySaint

Return to Levels