[Community Sequel] [FINISHED] 40 Monsters Challenge

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Community Sequel] 40 Monsters Challenge

Postby howeartistic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:39 am

Ok, so I played around a bit last night, and I'm thinking of doing Tech Hell with the mutator for different time periods? I think that was one. I'll double check. Anywho, would anyone wanna give my first map a shot and give me some pointers? Hope you all have a sweet day!
howeartistic

Postby 9Rifleman » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:17 am

howeartistic wrote:Ok, so I played around a bit last night, and I'm thinking of doing Tech Hell with the mutator for different time periods? I think that was one. I'll double check. Anywho, would anyone wanna give my first map a shot and give me some pointers? Hope you all have a sweet day!

Just post a download link here when it is playable. I can share my thoughts and Accensus for sure will when he can :) Also, you can even state the mutators when it's done - sometimes these change as you make progress with the map.
9Rifleman
Ripeth and teareth

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Accensus » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:25 am

Yeah, as long as you post a submission form along with the download, it should be all good.
Accensus

Postby howeartistic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:25 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the replies. I've got the map on Drive, hopefully the link works. Any issue, lemme know!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
howeartistic

Postby Accensus » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:40 pm

Well, for starters, the map is in the wrong format. Only UDMF is allowed. I think you can convert it, but you'd need to fix some of the line specials.

EDIT: It also has over 40 monsters. In fact, it has 121 monsters. That's a tad over the limit.

But the main thing that concerns me is that you said you just started, yet the map looks pretty much finished, and it's also geometrically complex, which only a good speedmapper would be able to do within two days. Not to be skeptical, but something feels off here.
Accensus

Postby howeartistic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:49 pm

Haha, Ok, I'll get it in UDMF and reupload. Thanks! I know this has waaay over 40, lol. I wasn't thinking of submitting it for the challenge, this was just the first map I made and wanted to hear what I did wrong so I can make my 40 monster map really solid. :D

I dunno bout speedmapping, that map took me about 2 weeks, 2-4 hours a day? I'm just working on it to relax, it's really zen.
howeartistic

Postby 9Rifleman » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:39 pm

howeartistic wrote:Haha, Ok, I'll get it in UDMF and reupload. Thanks! I know this has waaay over 40, lol. I wasn't thinking of submitting it for the challenge, this was just the first map I made and wanted to hear what I did wrong so I can make my 40 monster map really solid. :D

I dunno bout speedmapping, that map took me about 2 weeks, 2-4 hours a day? I'm just working on it to relax, it's really zen.

UMDF gives you way more options compared to vanilla format. Can be a bit overwhelming at first :)

And for the map: I only started mapping last year, so I am no master, but I liked this one. It felt a lot like vanilla Doom levels to me, one or two rooms kinda felt inspired by E1M1. I like the verticality and complexity, much better than in my maps(though I tend to go for ambience instead).
Only found 2 complaints during my quick run. First, the SSG secret isn't very secret and second, the area close to the end with revenants has these 'steps' protruding from the ground and while looking nice, I was getting stuck on it and it made me die there.

Nice work!
Last edited by 9Rifleman on Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
9Rifleman
Ripeth and teareth

Postby Accensus » Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:02 am

howeartistic wrote:Haha, Ok, I'll get it in UDMF and reupload. Thanks! I know this has waaay over 40, lol. I wasn't thinking of submitting it for the challenge, this was just the first map I made and wanted to hear what I did wrong so I can make my 40 monster map really solid. :D

Ah, I see. Makes sense. Disregard my previous post then. I don't think you can have a non-solid map for 40MCP with this skill level so just try your hand at anything.
Accensus

Postby howeartistic » Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:46 pm

Thanks for the play and critique, Rifleman! I'm glad something got ya, lmao, just wish it wasn't level geometry! Oh, and you're totally right about the SSG secret and I think a few other secrets? I meant to come back at the end and finalize those, but got excited. I'll make a note for next time! That map is based on my fuzzy memory of E1M1, and then embellished in parts. It was a pretty good exercise.

And thanks, Accensus! I'm stoked to see what everyone else comes up.
howeartistic

Postby CBM » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:07 pm

Very nice little map with decent architecture, a few texture issues but still a very good looking map.
You my friend, have talent.
Will you be converting this map to UDMF and reducing its monstercount?

Working on DOOM maps to relax? Me too... me too! Its the best way to map IMHO. Very ZEN indeed :D

Bubbles... deeee..cent...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdG07NgBWo
CBM
Imp Slayer

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby 9Rifleman » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:14 am

I'm stoked to see what everyone else comes up.

Same here. :)

Speaking of which, I have the first playable build of 21. There is no exit yet and it still misses items, some monsters, secrets and a bit of map, but should be a nice demo anyway. I consider it about 60% done.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah6QW7KGO2TPuYoOzUk ... w?e=TW7yAh

Mutator is just 21, due to the map's platforming section.
9Rifleman
Ripeth and teareth

Postby howeartistic » Fri Aug 21, 2020 11:53 am

*suffers severe HL1 cargo jumping flashbacks* FREEMAN, YOU FOOL!

haha Your map is great so far! It's cool to see how other people work. I'd go insane if I didn't throw down some textures, lmao! Love the end room, very cool.

Also, CBM, thanks for the love, brother! I'm already working on a couple new maps for the challenge, one is like a car factory from Hell? lol That first map I probably won't touch again, it'll be a good time capsule a year from now when I'm real decent dere, bud. B-)

Stay greasy, boys!
howeartistic

Postby 9Rifleman » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:47 am

haha Your map is great so far! It's cool to see how other people work. I'd go insane if I didn't throw down some textures, lmao! Love the end room, very cool.

Thank you! How did you find the lift section? Anything confusing or too hard or frustrating about it? :)
9Rifleman
Ripeth and teareth

Postby Accensus » Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:23 am

I'll check it out soon, Rifleman.

EDIT: Okay, gave the map a try. It's solid. I didn't struggle with the platforming at all, just had to stop and look at how the counterweights move and where they stop. Can't think of any complaints or advices.
Accensus

Postby howeartistic » Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:00 am

9Rifleman wrote:

Thank you! How did you find the lift section? Anything confusing or too hard or frustrating about it? :)

I love the design, it's definitely striking when you walk in! I kept slipping off, but that's on me, lol.

The opening room reminded me of the matrix lobby. Maybe add a gunner in the corners? I immediately went behind the pillars and got the drop on the shotgunners. I can't wait to see it all done! :D
howeartistic

PreviousNext

Return to Levels