[Community Sequel] [FINISHED] 40 Monsters Challenge

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Re: [Community Sequel] 40 Monsters Challenge

Postby 9Rifleman » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:06 pm

So I was looking for places to polish in 36 and felt the regular exit button just was too regular. So I changed the exit a bit, plus now it kinda makes a reference to something . You can see a pic below(see full size for detail) or wait for the next build :)

Spoiler:

I made the soulsphere at the end more prominent and easier to notice, but not easier to get.

Also, for the sake of atmosphere, would it be ok to use a 'custom' teleport fog? For example Hexen telefog would match the setting better. The document doesn't cover other sprites than monster and projectile specifically. Just thought I'd check first; don't wanna go overboard and create a million new things, just a light touch :)
9Rifleman
Ripeth and teareth

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby Accensus » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:09 pm

9Rifleman wrote:Also, for the sake of atmosphere, would it be ok to use a 'custom' teleport fog?

Yep, it's all good.
Accensus

Postby CBM » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:12 pm

more work done on the pyramid, well... lets just say... is not a small and short level...

CBM
Imp Slayer

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby complexdoomer » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:56 pm

Interesting I participate for map 12 :D
complexdoomer

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby 9Rifleman » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:05 am

Reuploading all 3 maps due to some changes, listed below. Mostly cosmetic.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ah6QW7KGO2TPuYoJP6x ... A?e=6j1dZb

MAP25:
- I was trying different skies recently and left the one that didn't work in the last build. So in this one, I made the music file smaller and added a proper skybox. Credits for the picture go to Hipshot.

MAP06:
- Music improved. I used a fade in/out and even though you can still hear it when it loops, it feels way more natural I think, let me know. Seems I can't cut it perfectly because the end is slightly different than the beginning, so this seemed a better option.

MAP36:
- New skybox, which makes the map even more red-blue(and really pretty if you ask me :D). Spoiler shot below. Credits go to Jose.
- 2 new secrets
- 2 stimpacks added to the map
- fixed sound naming in SNDINFO

Spoiler:

And lastly, I'd like to have one last map if ok. It's fun, but I'm getting a bit starved for ideas. Either 21 or 40, your call :)
9Rifleman
Ripeth and teareth

Postby Accensus » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:35 am

Hmmm. Bill and I had something in mind for MAP40, given that it's the final map and boss battle. Though nothing's happening on that front right now. Let's give MAP21 a try.
Accensus

Postby 9Rifleman » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:52 am

Accensus wrote:Hmmm. Bill and I had something in mind for MAP40, given that it's the final map and boss battle. Though nothing's happening on that front right now. Let's give MAP21 a try.

Oh yeah, I forgot the secret levels. 21 it is, thanks :)
9Rifleman
Ripeth and teareth

Postby 9Rifleman » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:50 pm

Let's bump the thread back up, eh? :D

Started working on 21 and while it's a slow work, I made this top level management office.

Spoiler:

Idea so far: Doomguy fights his way up a megacorp skyscraper. Company CEO has long dabbled in demon knowledge and his vast wealth allowed him to adorn his marble-clad office with ancient artifacts and writings and elude the public eye. Low ranking employees started disappearing, there was a rumor about secret rituals. When the demons came, he was rewarded for his dedication and turned into a Baron of Hell. Now he sits in his office above the skies, surrounded by those who served him in life and thick clouds obscure the filth of the planet's lower levels and the suffering of its population.

Of course, that's just the setting in my head and stuff can change at this point :)
9Rifleman
Ripeth and teareth

Postby Accensus » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:55 pm

I quite like that. I think that can be incorporated into the planned lore somehow.
Accensus

Postby 9Rifleman » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:49 am

Accensus wrote:I quite like that. I think that can be incorporated into the planned lore somehow.

I mean, this is just my design guidance, but I won't push it anywhere in the map. I'll let the visuals do the talking. Alternatively, I guess the map could also technically count as urban, so it could be moved to slot 13, if it makes more sense.
9Rifleman
Ripeth and teareth

Postby Accensus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:06 pm

I'll see which slot fits better once I play it some.
Accensus

Postby Voltcom9 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:11 pm

There's still a lot of vacant spots. It doesn't seem like there's anywhere near the activity on these forums these days comparatively.

Having 42 maps by 5 map authors (whatever the number is) somehow feels less like a Community Project. Part of what made the 20 monsters CP so cool was that so many people contributed. Would you consider just making the project scope smaller and have less than 42 maps?
Voltcom9

Postby Accensus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:25 pm

Would you consider just making the project scope smaller and have less than 42 maps?

That's the backup plan. I wanna be optimistic about this one. Trimming the slots now could result in too much disruption as I'd have to rearrange the maps and on-going maps would have to readapt to that. Alternatively I don't rearrange anything and use the "Next" property in MAPINFO to skip empty slots, but that'd mean it'd be a 42-level mapset (judging from the map names) with fewer than 42 levels in it. I dunno how I feel about that. If not all slots are occupied by the time of the deadline, I'll trim the empty ones, but not sooner than that.
Accensus

Postby CBM » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:56 am

Accensus, I shrunk the doomguy:

and then blew him up:

Last edited by CBM on Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBM
Imp Slayer

Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Accensus » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:58 am

I was really hoping someone would do that. :D
Accensus

PreviousNext

Return to Levels