Haunted Office - My first complete Doom 2 map

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Haunted Office - My first complete Doom 2 map

Postby Baysha » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:27 pm

Hi. I've wanted to get into Doom mapping for a while. But I kept petering out of enthusiasm after starting a map. But eventually, I managed to finish one. It's set in an office building that's been taken over by the forces of hell and you have to kill the demons. Creative, I know. :P

If you have any critiques for the level let me know, I'd love to improve.

Download link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jNGum ... uSLI36QqfE (Requires GZDoom and Doom 2)

I hope you enjoy it!

Screenshots
Spoiler:

Old Version
Spoiler:
Last edited by Baysha on Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baysha

Re: Haunted Office - My first complete Doom 2 map

Postby Baysha » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:51 pm

Baysha

Postby TorrentialFire » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:52 pm

The last door before your exit is not tagged and has no linedef door action defined; the level cannot be completed.

A few notes from playing the level:
    * Use doors to control combat flow, see: https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/tutorials-mainmenu-138/90-mapping/1329-medium-layout-a-structure-in-doom for more info.
    * Height variation adds interest and opportunities for more engaging combat; there are several hallways that could turn into staircases to achieve the basic effect.
    * Using more variations of the basic textures adds visual interest and keeps the player from getting bored.
    * Some hitscan enemies like chaingunners are better suited at chokes points on raised platforms (so they can't wander away or be cheesed as easily by the player).
    * Be careful with shotgun sergeants, their damage range is pretty wild and using groups of them can result in wildly different player health states depending on RNG instead of player skill (due to their shooting behavior).
    * Pouring tons of pinkies into a monster closet results in pinky pinball when they are released, the player can simply back up to a choke point and gun them down while they bounce off of one another.
    * Be careful with balancing the spread of ammo across the map, I found myself out-of-ammo in the last section resulting in having to punch my way through the last few demons (before being sad that the final door wouldn't open). Also, there wouldn't be enough ammo past the final door to take out 2x Mancubus and Arachnotron.

Great start to your mapping career! I had fun playing, and look forward to seeing what you can do!
TorrentialFire
One sector at a time...

Postby Enjay » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:34 pm

Yup, all fair points from TorrentialFire.

The map definintely has a feeling of one from someone early in their mapping career, but it's still a fun map to play and has a few interesting tricks and traps going on. (The office floor changing was a nice touch and the spectre corridor was nasty - in a good way.) Definitely an experience to build on and put some of those tips into action for the next one. :D

I didn't find myself pushed for ammo in the way TorrentialFire describes. In fact, on the whole I found ammo balance to be quite decent. I'd saved up my rockets for the last section guessing that something big was perhaps coming. Although that meant I had to be careful when firing them off, I had plenty of rockets and did most of the last section with the rocket launcher (having enough room to do so made that possible). In fact, I only ran out of rockets while fighting the mancubi after noclipping through the final door. The last rocket took down the second mancubus and I finished off the final arachnotron with my super shotgun. I had plenty of shells to do that and a few bullets in reserve for the chaingun too.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby TorrentialFire » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:55 pm

Enjay wrote:I didn't find myself pushed for ammo in the way TorrentialFire describes. In fact, on the whole I found ammo balance to be quite decent.

It was probably a difference in play-style or shot accuracy. Enjay is a much more experienced Doom player/mapper; I would take his opinion over mine. Another good takeaway is making play-testing and mapping passes to assess the balance of enemies and ammo pickups across the difficulty levels. That would help catch obvious mistakes too because you are testing the map completely, repeatedly.
TorrentialFire
One sector at a time...

Postby Baysha » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:18 pm

Alright, I've uploaded an updated version with a working door and a few more secrets.
Baysha

Postby DavidN » Sun May 17, 2020 6:50 pm

Congratulations on your first map! I took a video of my playthrough - I don't think that I raised anything that hadn't already been raised above, but you can see what's going through the mind of a player as they come at it for the first time :)

DavidN

Return to Levels