Doom NW - Version 2.0 Released

New maps, and other projects whose primary focus is new maps, belong here.

NOTE: This forum, and all forums below it, are NOT for questions or troubleshooting! Threads here are for active projects only! Please use the Editing subforums or General for questions.
Forum rules
The Projects forums are ONLY for YOUR PROJECTS! If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.

Doom NW - Version 2.0 Released

Postby nervewar » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:42 am

Hey everybody,

Like everyone else I've had a lot more time on my hands due to the quarantine, so I decided to spend pretty much the whole week finishing up the 2nd level of what I intend to make a 3-level mini-episode. I want each of the maps to have a little bit of a different play style to them, but also have them all tie together conceptually. Here's the info, and a download link is at the bottom. Would love to hear what any of you think, good or bad :) Cheers!

Doom NW

A seismic event has occurred and you have fallen into a collapsing UAC mining facility. Now you must make your way back out alive, and battle your way through the ore crushing facility!

Screenshots

Technical Stuff:
Port: GZDoom (incompatible with other ports, sorry!)
Freelook: Yes
Jumping/Crouching: No
Hardware Rendering Required: No, but recommended
Base IWAD: DOOM2.wad
Current Version: 2.0
Release Date: 4/3/2020

Content

2 levels, MAP01 and MAP02 (plan on adding a third and final map at some point)
Lots of cust´╗┐om textures/graphics
Custom ambient sound design
Custom intro and outro music

Gameplay:
Difficulty settings: Implemented
Themes:
MAP01: Survival/Limited Resources
MAP02: Combat/Platforming

Map Sizes:
MAP01: Small-Medium
MAP02: Medium/Large

Rough Play Times:
MAP01: 5-7 Minutes
MAP02: 7-10 Minutes

RECOMMENDED SETTINGS:
Mouse Options
Always Mouselook: ON
Display Options > OpenGL Renderer > Texture Options
Texture Filter Mode: None
Display Options > OpenGL Renderer
Sector Light Mode: Software
Bloom Effect: On
Ambient Occlusion Quality: High

Copyright/Usage Info
The crate textures designed by my good friend Bret Walters are free for you to use in your own maps as long as you credit him as "Bret Walters | vimeo.com/user4779474"
All the rest of the custom textures, graphics, sound effects and music are done by me. You are welcome to use these in your maps as well as long as you credit me as "Brandon Duncan | nervewar.net"

Crate Textures:
Bret Walters | vimeo.com/user4779474

Additional Resources from http://realm667.com and https://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures/
Full detailed credits in README.txt

DOWNLOAD
Dropbox link (10mb): https://www.dropbox.com/s/3tlb7ltutwzovvy/DoomNWv2.zip?dl=0

Hope you enjoy Doom NW!
nervewar

Discord: nervewar#3229
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Doom NW - Version 2.0 Released

Postby PFL » Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:42 pm

Hey,

Very nice layout on these two maps with plenty of new ideas I really liked, such as the darts board. I combine the maps using Complex Doom and the ride was difficult enough on UV; a real challenge. I managed to find all secrets but died a couple of times doing so near the cruchers ... which brings me to my negative comments:

- the cruchers are tough to get thru.
- the same idea goes to the electrified hallway in the first map. I had to track back once or twice to avoid massive damage (death in fact) and lost much of what I had in health.
- first map again, I would modify the raising platform mechanism a little. It feels weird the way the controls are placed when I feel one up/down switch should be on the platform and 2 calling mechanisms, one on the floor and another up there.
- I had to idclip my exit since I didn't get the chance to find out how to exit the map with the "protected" end swith being in front of the actual one. I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain here.
- Oh, and starting map 2, one shotgunner kinda being stuck at the gate with no place to move actually so it did not fire at me.

I think this is it. Very nice maps, very enjoyable and never boring at all with some very minor complaints. I hope to see more of these.
Last edited by PFL on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PFL

Postby nervewar » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:22 am

PFL wrote:Hey,

Very nice layout on these two maps with plenty of new ideas I really liked, such as the darts board. I combine the maps using Complex Doom and the ride was difficult enough on UV; a real challenge. I managed to find all secrets but died a couple of times doing so near the cruchers ... which brings me to my negative comments:

- the cruchers are tough to get thru.
- the same idea goes to the electrified hallway in the first map. I had to track back once or twice to avoid massive damage (death in fact) and lost much of what I had in health.
- first map again, I would modify the raising platform mechanism a little. I feels weird the way the controls are placed when I feel one up/down switch should be on the platform and 2 calling mechanisms, one on the floor and another up there.
- I had to idclip my exit since I didn't get the chance to find out how to exit the map with the "protected" end swith being in front of the actual one. I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain here.
- Oh, and starting map 2, one shotgunner kinda being stuck at the gate with no place to move actually so it did not fire at me.

I think this is it. Very nice maps, very enjoyable and never boring at all with some very minor complaints. I hope to see more of these.

Hey thanks so much for the detailed constructive criticism, I will take a look at all this for the next update. The only thing I'm not sure about is how you had to idclip the exit. Did you have to do that on map 1 or map 2? Mind explaining the problem you had there a bit more?

Really appreciate it, thanks!
nervewar

Postby PFL » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:40 pm

Yes,

At the end of it all, I was trying to activate the end switch on the wall but was unable to, like a false decorative swith was in front, protecting the real one behind it. This is similar to a dual switch one in front of another but this time the first one didn't work. I have encountered similar setups in some other wads over the years. So I idclip a tiny bit to access the switch and end the game. Maybe I missed something somewhere but that's my experience. If these are your first steps in mapping, well, that's a GREAT start.

One last thing I remember that could be updated for a better experience; the doors. No one really want to step back 3 or 4 feet to open a fresh closed door. The detection is nice but it's better when it's also possible to open it when facing it. Which reminds me how I loved the long delay you have set on the big doors. This is something unusual and well thought.
PFL

Postby MFG38 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:37 am

Screenshots look good. I'll make sure to give this a spin shortly. c:
MFG38

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby nervewar » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:21 am

PFL wrote:Yes,

At the end of it all, I was trying to activate the end switch on the wall but was unable to, like a false decorative swith was in front, protecting the real one behind it. This is similar to a dual switch one in front of another but this time the first one didn't work. I have encountered similar setups in some other wads over the years. So I idclip a tiny bit to access the switch and end the game. Maybe I missed something somewhere but that's my experience. If these are your first steps in mapping, well, that's a GREAT start.

One last thing I remember that could be updated for a better experience; the doors. No one really want to step back 3 or 4 feet to open a fresh closed door. The detection is nice but it's better when it's also possible to open it when facing it. Which reminds me how I loved the long delay you have set on the big doors. This is something unusual and well thought.

Ok thanks for laying that out for me, I'll do some investigating. I had several of my friends test it out and it seemed good, but maybe I did something wrong that doesn't function properly for everyone. Sorry for the hassle there at the end, that's a bummer that happened to you, but thanks for pointing it out to me so I can try and fix it!

MFG38 wrote:Screenshots look good. I'll make sure to give this a spin shortly. c:

Cool, thanks a ton :)
nervewar

Postby MFG38 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:09 am

Gave this a playthrough, here's a brief review.

The levels were overall nicely designed, with a largely consistent aesthetic and no texture clashing that I caught. I especially liked the custom texture work. There were lots of nice details too, though there are some places you could potentially get stuck in them, which happened to me once in MAP02. Combat was a tiny bit on the easy side but enjoyable, and the crusher section in MAP02 was a nice challenge.

My only real criticism is that the blue doors right before the exit in MAP01 could use a different texture, as I wasn't initially aware they actually were doors. I just breezed right past them thinking they were wall details, which I found out wasn't the case when I consulted the automap.

Overall, not a bad job. c:
MFG38

Postby nervewar » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:27 pm

MFG38 wrote:Gave this a playthrough, here's a brief review.

The levels were overall nicely designed, with a largely consistent aesthetic and no texture clashing that I caught. I especially liked the custom texture work. There were lots of nice details too, though there are some places you could potentially get stuck in them, which happened to me once in MAP02. Combat was a tiny bit on the easy side but enjoyable, and the crusher section in MAP02 was a nice challenge.

My only real criticism is that the blue doors right before the exit in MAP01 could use a different texture, as I wasn't initially aware they actually were doors. I just breezed right past them thinking they were wall details, which I found out wasn't the case when I consulted the automap.

Overall, not a bad job. c:

Hey thanks so much for the review! You're the second person to mention the blue keycard doors at the end of map01 not being recognized, so I'll definitely be addressing that in the next version. Mind letting me know where you got caught in the detailing in the second map?

Thanks a ton for the feedback!
nervewar

Postby MFG38 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:40 am

nervewar wrote:Mind letting me know where you got caught in the detailing in the second map?

I found the spot in UDB and took a screenshot - it's where the cursor is pointing:

I somehow got stuck behind the crates for a while and had to wiggle my way out while an imp was throwing fireballs at me. It should be easily fixed by moving the crates a tiny bit to the left (to the direction of the bigger crate).
MFG38

Postby nervewar » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:56 am

MFG38 wrote:
nervewar wrote:Mind letting me know where you got caught in the detailing in the second map?

I found the spot in UDB and took a screenshot - it's where the cursor is pointing:

I somehow got stuck behind the crates for a while and had to wiggle my way out while an imp was throwing fireballs at me. It should be easily fixed by moving the crates a tiny bit to the left (to the direction of the bigger crate).

Ah ok, thanks for pointing that out. I'll add that to my list of fixes!
nervewar

Postby Bigbad75 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:15 am

Bigbad75

Discord: 2142

Return to Levels